Transition cutoff date??

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by lark265, Dec 13, 2018.

1. lark265

lark265 Rookie

Dec 13, 2018

If a student did not receive an HS diploma, how long can they remain in SPED? That is, I know they "age out" at age 22 but what if they turn 22 in September? Can they still stay through the school year (till June)? thanks

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 13, 2018

I feel like this is one of the things that varies from state to state, and possibly district to district.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  4. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Dec 13, 2018

I know that in my district, students are dismissed on their birthdays. So a student can not stay past age 21, even if that occurs during the school year.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2018

In my area they can stay until the end of the school year that they turn 21.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 14, 2018

Here it's 21 so they would have graduated in June before they turned 22.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 14, 2018

That seems fair since the school district should not be paying for the student past 21. It becomes the parents' responsibility. By the time they are 15 or so they should be getting together a transition plan so when they are 21 they know what to expect.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  8. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Dec 14, 2018

Ours is the school year they turn 21. Then it becomes a state help.

9. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Jan 11, 2019

at 18 they either "graduate" or they move to transition class, which is a half day and focuses on job skills and life skills. They can stay in there until their 22nd birthday.

10. Aspieteacher47

Aspieteacher47 Rookie

Aug 13, 2019

It depends on your school district rules about when students begin pre-school or kindergarten. The latest a student can remain in transition if it's after cut-off point is till December before Christmas Break. They can return in June for the final recognition ceremony but the school is not required to keep them past December for educational purposes. This is coming from a teacher who currently teaches students in transition. I currently teach in California. All students are legally allowed to remain in the post-secondary transition program until they reach their 22nd birthday. The previous district that I was employed allowed students to remain in the class until December if their 22nd birthday fell in November or early December. If their birthday fell after January sometime before June, they were allowed to remain until June which is the end of the school year. I believe school districts have different rules on this policy.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Tired Teacher and ecteach like this.
  11. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Aug 13, 2019

At my school it is the school year they turn 22. If they turn 22 in August, they stay until the end of the year (ESY is included). If they turn 22 in May, they stay until the end of ESY. As someone else said, this may vary by state/district.

12. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Nov 2, 2019

They have to leave when they turn 22. So, they really should be transitioned out/graduated at 21. But, we have had parents who want them there the whole year that they are 21. We've also had parents let them graduate at 18 and then send them back until they are 22. Services are limited. So sad.

13. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Habitué

Nov 3, 2019

Wow! I am pretty shocked by this. Kids do not go to HS here after their SR yr. ( Usually 18 and once in a blue moon a kid who is 19.) We do have a program though that is really good for kids w/ disabilities that can function in society. ( Not the violent - BD kids). They usually end up in juvey before 18.
    It is separate from school, I think, maybe it is tied to schools...IDK) but they train and find jobs for the kids who can and want to work.
    I have had the opportunity to watch the growth of several of these kids over the last 10- 15 yrs and it is amazing! They happen to work at places I go weekly.
    All are socially awkward, but man, the growth they've made over the years is unreal. Plus, they are really steady, long term employees. 1 who works in a grocery store annoyed coworkers unreal when he 1st came. I remember if the checker could have, she'd have probably have ripped his eyeballs out.
    Now he has that store memorized. If you can't find something, he is the "go to guy"! He has an unreal knack for detail and order. I remember him being so proud after everyone had searched the store for pine nuts and couldn't find them. He knew right where they were. They were in a place most people would never have looked, but he knew. I think those who don't work may get disability checks. It is interesting how the 4 I know of are all productive members of society. They rent efficiencies nearby work, pack lunches, and walk to work. They all started close to the same time too.
    I think their employers got tax breaks or something for hiring them and probably for continuing to train them. Not sure.....

ecteach likes this.
  14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 4, 2019

Parents need to plan ahead for their children with special needs and not wait until they are over 20 to start looking for services for adulthood. Honestly, they are expecting the schools to take care of the planning and it's really their responsibility. If they are in a residential school, the school will find an adult placement for adult program for them after 21. Some parents try to be sneaky and get their child admitted at around 19 or 20 so it then becomes the school's problem. If they scope out services when the child is 15 or so they will have more time but of course they don't.