Transistion Time

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Guest, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 1, 2002

Hi, I teach kindergarten and I need some ideas how to make transistions easier for my students. Does anyone have ideas to help me??? I like to use songs and music in the classroom, so a song would be great. Thanks:)

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 1, 2002

4. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Aug 2, 2002

Make sure you have a timer. If you set the timer at the begining of the lesson and let your kids know how much time they have left and what to do when time is up....then when the timer rings they will know what to do next. My kids responded well to the timer. It got to the point where all I had to do was set it and tell them and then it rang and I didn't even have to remind them where to go.

Music is great too. You can have a cd with a song on it that lasts for 3 minutes(or any amount of time for transition) and tell them that they should be in their new spots by the end of the song. If you use the same song over and over thekids get good at knowing when time is almost up.

Nick

5. AJK

AJK Pre-k Montessori Teacher

Aug 2, 2002

As suggested in the last post, we use a song to signal transition time. The song I choose is about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes, it's only instrumental. The children know they must be in their spot before the song ends. The first couple weeks we practice transitioning with the song. It works fabulously. By the end of the first month I just have to put the song on (or have a music helper do it) and most of my kids immeadiatly transition. It should work flawlessly in a kindergarten class. :)

6. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Aug 3, 2002

transitions

This a something I use that my Kindergarten children love... Freeze Clean Up! I will put on a CD and when the music is on the children must clean up... when the music stops they freeze... then clean up when the music comes back on.

Good luck!:D