Transferring to another school

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ECE ABC, Sep 8, 2013.

1. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Sep 8, 2013

What is the procedure for transferring with in your school district?

If you have to submit a transfer form online, who views the form besides HR?

I am just wondering if BOTH the Principal who has the vacancy and the current Principal view the online form? Is it possible the current Principal would only be told IF the transfer would go through?

This would be for either certified or non certified staff.

Thank you for your help.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2013

In my district, both P's and HR see the request. If it is during the school year, the sending P has to agree to release you.

4. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2013

We have to interview just like any other candidate for that school. Last year, we had four teachers to transfer and they all had to interview at the other school.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2013

If we wish to transfer, we need to complete a request to transfer, which is signed by our current principal and submitted Human Resources. We are then eligible to apply for any open positions in the school board, going through the interview process. During the school year, and after a pre-determined date in early June, both administrators and the superintendent must approve any movement between schools.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2013

In my district, you call the new principal and express your interest in the open position. He or she will interview you if you are what they are looking for. There's no particular form or anything. It is generally considered good form to notify your current principal that you are looking to transfer.

7. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Sep 8, 2013

Thank you all so much!!!!!

Has anyone ever transferred during the school year and if so, what was the reason?

Thanks again :)

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2013

My district doesn't allow in-district transfers during the year.

9. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Sep 8, 2013

Ohhh really Caesar??

We have a section on our website that is for Internal Applicants Only and we even get emailed to let us know that there are vacancies so we can check them out, certified and non certified staff can both apply online for Internal transfers :D

Im non certified staff so I don't even know if it would be handled the same way as a classroom teacher...probably not I am guessing.

But the application is for everyone who is a district employee...including secretaries, cafeteria, custodial, etc.

10. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 8, 2013

If you're doing it through Applitrack, all administrative users can see all applications, regardless of the job posting. (This is how it works in my district--not sure if it's like that elsewhere.)

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2013

There would need to be very special circumstances for a teacher to be allowed to transfer between schools during the school year. Postings during the year are usually filled by long term subs. Teachers can apply, during the school year, for consultant or other leadership positions which are not based in one specific school.

12. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Sep 9, 2013

Thank you all :) I appreciate the info.

13. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Sep 21, 2013

I just found out this week that as long as there is a posting on the website I can apply for transfer, this is year round and ONLY the Principal who has the vacancy can see the application, along with HR of course. So, I was told to look on the website for Internal Openings daily!!!!!!

Then you will be called to interview with new Principal and at least one other staff member (from the grade/program that has the vacancy) per union rules. So the current Principal would not know until an offer was made, after interview process :)