Transferring from Para to Teacher ?s

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by futureteacher13, Oct 21, 2013.

1. futureteacher13

futureteacher13 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013

I would like to know what your thoughts are on Paraprofessionals becoming teachers! I'm currently a middle school paraprofessional who wants to teach elementary school.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 21, 2013

Be warned that the job of a teacher is very different from that of a para, even if you teach small groups and what not.

But with that said, the leap from para to teacher is a very good one for anyone interested. You know what being in a school is like, you have a chance to see good (and not so good) teachers in action, you already have some "teacher cred" with the kids.

4. futureteacher13

futureteacher13 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013

As a paraprofessional, I have many teachers who encourage me to get certified as a teacher. I have worked with students in grades K-8 for the past 4 years. I currently work in PE. I received my BA in Social Science with a Concentration in Education. I love what I do and I want to take that same passion into the classroom!

With that being said, the life of a teacher and the life of a para are two completely different beings. From lesson plans, fire drills, assemblies, professional development meetings, grades, etc., the life of a teacher never ends once the school day is over. I take each day one step at a time because at the end of the day it's about the kids and seeing they receive the quality education they deserve and I want to continue making a difference in their lives.

5. bison

bison Habitué

Oct 21, 2013

I'm working as a para during my credential program. I think it's great experience because I get to teach students all the time and become familiar with all of the other duties of a teacher. I'm also very familiar with the curriculum and expectations in local schools. However, I don't think my job compares to being a teacher. I work hard and I think my role is important, but my job has little to no stress and I'm able to leave work and forget about it until I return. There's no planning or anything along those lines, and I'm paid hourly rather than salaried so when my time is up, I go home. I'm not really in charge of anything but implementing what the classroom teacher wants. Working as a special education para was much more exhausting and stressful, but the teachers in those classes still had way more on their plates. As long as you're aware of all the major differences, I think moving from para to teacher is a very logical jump. We definitely have an advantage over those who have less experience in the school setting!

6. theedcoach

theedcoach New Member

Oct 22, 2013

While it is a different job with different responsibilities, you have an advantage because you are familiar with the classroom. I have coached several paraprofessionals who are now teachers through the process. You can do it if you have the passion and the desire to learn the new process and love kids!

7. futureteacher13

futureteacher13 Rookie

Oct 22, 2013

I most definitely have the passion to learn the process of teaching and continue loving kids!! :)

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 22, 2013

I worked as a para for 3 years when I couldn't find a teaching job. I absolutely love it! It was great going home and having nothing to do -- I really miss it some days. :blush:

9. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Oct 25, 2013

I'm currently a para who hopes to become a classroom teacher someday. I love it! It's such a great experience and I'm lucky enough to work with 3 different grade levels, all the core subjects, and in both general and special ed. :) I'm also with many different teachers so I get to see different teaching methods in action.

I know that my job is very different from that of a teacher in many different ways but I think it's a great starting point for me (I just graduated college this May). I especially need to work on being "tough" and classroom management, and I'm learning A LOT about that right now as a para. :)

10. futureteacher13

futureteacher13 Rookie

Oct 26, 2013

Same here! I've been a para for 4 years and I continue to stuggle with classroom management and being "tough", but I'm getting better as the days progress. I work with middle school students. What age group do you work with? I want to teach elementary school!