Transferring Cert to AZ

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by asullins, Mar 2, 2010.

1. asullins

asullins Rookie

Mar 2, 2010

I'm currently certified in elementary education 1-6 in the state of Missouri. My husband's job relocated us to AZ, so I'm in the process of transferring my cert here. Does anybody have any experience with transferring their cert to AZ?

Do school districts look down on applicants that are 'waiting' for their paperwork to clear? I'm hoping it's early enough in the hiring season that they won't hold that against me. Any pointers on what to say if I'm asked about it?

3. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Mar 3, 2010

Hi asullins. I got a teachng job and moved out here in October. My certification is Multiple Subjects for the state of California. The big thing Arizona wants is that you get your fingerpritn ID card, first. Right now I have a reciprocal provisional license which expries in a year. I have to take a test this month to keep it going and eventually transfer it over to a regular Arizona credential. As long as you are in the process of getting your license, the specific districts you are applying for should be fine. If you have any other questons, please feel free to send me a PM. Best of luck to you! :)

4. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Mar 3, 2010

Check the website for AZ credentialing; it will have the information about what steps need to be taken to get an AZ credential.

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Mar 3, 2010

Our district just sent out an email saying that the wait for a fingerprint card is getting backed up. I would take care of that asap.

My district hired me before I'd gotten everything transferred over to AZ. Apparently though, I am not considered Highly Qualified under the reciprocal 1 year cert. The principal had to inform parents, but it wasn't an issue for me...

6. sequence

sequence Rookie

Mar 4, 2010

I transferred all my cert. stuff to az and it worked really easily. My biggest tip, use the Tucson office for the cert. paperwork, you'll get it A LOT quicker than the Phoenix office. You'll have to, of course, get the fingerprint card, take the state tests, and then do an Arizona constitution class and a United States constitution class, but you can do those online, if you can't find the info., let me know and I can direct you there.

All in all, transferring your cert. to AZ is easy, but I def. recommend using the Tucson office. :)

7. asullins

asullins Rookie

Mar 4, 2010

Wow, thanks for all the tips! I already sent my fingerprints off to DPS a couple weeks ago. I'm just waiting for my IVP card now.

Do you know how the highly qualified thing goes? I was thinking about applying for a middle school science job, but I haven't taken the AEPA for that subject yet. Do any college courses that I've taken in science count towards me being 'highly qualified'? I called ADE yesterday and I'm waiting for them to call back. :confused:

Great tip on using the Tucson office Sequence! I live about an hour from Tucson, so that should work better for me anyways. How long does it take once ADE gets my paperwork?

Have any of you heard about how the new budget cuts through the state will affect jobs for next year? How about pro/cons of working in a charter school? I live in a small community, so it's pretty slim pickins when it comes to job opportunities. There's 3 or 4 charters, but I was a little hesitant after reading a couple other threads. I really just want to get back into the classroom. I miss it terribly!:(

Thanks again to each of you!

8. sequence

sequence Rookie

Mar 4, 2010

Tucson was hit hard with lay offs this year, and from what I'm hearing, it's going to be bad again this year. Personally, the only really available jobs will be rural ones, like in the middle of nowhere that no one wants to apply for jobs. I know big cities will have them, but they also have a long list of call-backs, as well. Any idea where you want to go? What small community do you live in? (you can pm me if you want, I miss AZ so much and want to move back if I can find a job).

9. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Mar 4, 2010

I think it's bad everywhere, but jobs do happen. My school had one classroom opening - and I got it - a first year teacher with an out of state cert that wasn't considered "highly qualified" in AZ yet. But, I worked hard to get my name out there - I hand delivered almost 30 resumes to schools, I emailed principals, etc.

10. asullins

asullins Rookie

Mar 4, 2010

Thanks Danny'sNanny! I was a little concerned since I'm new to the area and not subbing, so I haven't been able to get out to the schools. I'm hand delivering my resume and LOI to a district tomorrow. The personnel secretary told me to bring it by. Do you think I should give her a call before I go or just pop in? One of the districts I'm looking at has 3 openings in three different schools. What did you say in your e-mails to the principals? It sounds like a good way to get my name out there.

11. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Mar 6, 2010

asullins: Yes, it's good to be persistent and get your name out there. I e-mailed a bunch of principals and was very persistent with the school I am now hired at. :)

12. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Mar 6, 2010

I haven't transferred my certification to AZ, but my initial certification is from Missouri. I have transferred it to Idaho though. I think the certification in Missouri is thorough enough that it is usually a pretty easy process. You have to pay quite a bit of money and fill out a lot of paperwork, but I haven't had to take any extra classes. I am now in the process of transferring my certification to Hawaii, so I hope it works the same way!

13. cwolf

cwolf New Member

Mar 11, 2010

Arizona is having serious money problems, so teaching here may be different than Missouri.