Transferred to Third

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Milsey, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jun 2, 2013

I have been moved to a new class. I've never taught this grade before. I'm not even certified to teach K-6. What sort of consequences work with this group? I don't know if I can deal with the crying.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2013

My third graders generally don't cry. Building a class room climate of cooperation, connectedness, and capability goes far with any grade level. Positive reinforcement and logical consequences are also good strategies.
    Focus now on learning the curriculum....having engaging lessons is your best bet on keeping kids focused, working and on task.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 2, 2013

How could they put you in a 3rd grade class if you are not certified to teach in K-6?

5. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jun 2, 2013

In June?? Or is that your placement for next year?

(I hesitate to even ask a question, but...)

6. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jun 2, 2013

No, it's for this year, a 3-week assignment. I just want to get through each week without problems. My greatest fear is I don't know all these children, and what if one slips away while we're in the library and I don't notice.
    We can't get subs because the school is high poverty and is in a "bad" area, so generally other teachers or support staff fill in.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2013

Why are you free from your regular contacted position?

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2013

You count them. Then you know if someone has wandered off.

9. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jun 2, 2013

The fastest way to know if everyone is there is to count them.

Are you just covering for a period or all day?

10. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jun 8, 2013

All day - everyday. It was crazy at the beginning of the week. Two boys ran out of the classroom. I had to break up two fights. The old teacher's mug got broken. Then two girls started crying because they were scared or something.

Then the other third-grade teacher came in to give them a talk. Since then they've been better, and any time someone acts up I send them to her room.

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 8, 2013

Milsey, this is why many here think you're not real (troll). How can you pack so many wrong statements in such a short post?
    - your kids are running out of the classroom
    - you already had 2 fights (and they're only 3rd graders)
    - under your watch another teacher's property got destroyed
    - two girls cried and you couldn't even find out why (or didn't try)
    - you rely on other teachers for control, and when there's a problem, you have her deal with it??

Seriously how are you a teacher? A student teacher or a sub on her first day would handle things better than this. Sorry, but this is just weird.

12. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 8, 2013

Bah...Milsey is comedy gold. I bet she is really a fantastic teacher. I can see from her posts how imaginative and creative she is. You should write a blog, Milsey.

13. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jun 8, 2013

Um, nobody has the perfect class..and yes, I'm a teacher, not a troll. :angel:

This all happened over the course of two days, not in one period. Things are pretty much under control now that the worst offenders are next door. I'm getting a better sense of what works with this age group. They love to draw, play educational games like Math Bingo.
    They LOVE science, even though they told me they don't do science. Storytime I'm still having issues with keeping them engaged.

14. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 8, 2013

Oh, it happened over two days? That's perfectly understandable. I thought it was just over one period, which I thought was outrageous... but now that you've explained it was over two days, I see where you're coming from.

15. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 8, 2013

I guess I'm confused why you were removed from your regularly scheduled classroom to deal with this classroom?

16. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jun 8, 2013

I don't know. I was in a long-running dispute with a group of girls, but that was only one class. I miss my seventh-graders. :(

17. monsieurteacher

Jun 8, 2013

I'm sure they miss you too...

18. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2013

I am glad it is working better. I have taken over a class a couple times once in December and once in November. It is never easy as far as behavior. The children will test above and beyond what they might normally do and in some schools the testing is already what many of us consider above and beyond. The children also often feel emotionally upset and worried because of the change to their routine and expectations. They also can be sad about the teacher they had become accustomed to being gone.

I hope things continue to improve.

19. mrking47968

mrking47968 Rookie

Jun 12, 2013

When I first moved to 3rd, (from 6th) I was devastated! But it has been the best move of my career. 3rd graders are very easy to handle, have a great zeal for learning and are just becoming old enough to work independently (mostly). With discipline, just be quick and assertive and do NOT nag, as this will tune them out. Good luck!

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 12, 2013

I can make a guess or two... :rolleyes:

21. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 12, 2013

I did a demo lesson with 3rd graders and for the most part they were sweet and ultra-compliant. I haven't taught 3rd grade in any other setting, but I really find these hard to believe. Maybe in an alternative classroom of 8th graders (that's what I taught this year and none of these ever happened!)

22. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 12, 2013

Well, these seems like a lot of problems, especially in just 2 days. When I took over my classes on April 2nd, I have not had these troubles in 2 months: nothing got destroyed, I had no fight, no one was crying that I couldn't figure out (I did have some of the girls going through emotional stuff, but I always noticed and always tried to see how I could help them). And i never rely on other teachers for control.
    In the 2 years I've subbed, there was 1 fight (in a lock up), no one cried, nothing ever got destroyed and I've never dumped my problems on other teachers.

The crying may not seem like a big deal, but I would want to know why a student is crying: is she being bullied? Did someone steal something from her? Is she going through something that needs professional attention? Is she just emotional? either way, I want to know.

23. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jun 12, 2013

Exactly what a troll would say...:whistle:

24. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jun 15, 2013

Ignoring the school bullies..

I have no idea. I think they just got scared because kids were running around and I was trying to get the attention of the teacher across the hall.
    Anyway this is my last week with them. I'm really grateful to the other teacher for taking my troublemakers. They HATE going to her class, but seriously it has really calmed things down. Can't wait for Friday, though.

25. monsieurteacher

Jun 16, 2013

I bet the teacher across the hall can't wait either!

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2013

What are your job prospects for next year, Milsey?

27. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jun 16, 2013

She hasn't taught high school physics or health or special education reading in a while so I'm guessing one of those.

28. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 28, 2013

I must say finding more of these nutty posts upon my return to the site has me smiling.

Though it is strange for an adult in any profession to refer to 8 year old's as "offenders" and "troublemakers".

Maybe you should look in to School Psychiatrist positions. You can publish instead of posting and really shake things up.

29. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jul 1, 2013

Nightline recently profiled a school in my district and called it one of the most dangerous schools in the country. While I don't work at that school, I work at the K-8 school that feeds into that school.

I can easily attest to the fact that the behaviors that the original poster described can be readily found at my school on any given day, at any grade level. To question the original poster as to whether she is seriously a teacher, since in your opinion even a student teacher or a sub could handle things better, means only one thing. It means that you have never worked in a rough inner city school where you have some severely emotionally disturbed children in your class, and where you are given no administrative support to deal with those children.

I understand your point of view, though. I have also worked in other districts where such behavior would be hard to conceive of. However, the fact that you personally have never experienced it does not mean that it doesn't happen. Your insinuation that it couldn't possibly happen unless the poster is lacking in classroom management skills would be very amusing to the staff at my school. We have an excellent and dedicated staff, teachers who are very strong classroom managers. You would not survive in our school for very long unless you were exceptionally strong in that area. We have had substitute teachers who, without informing anyone, walked out in the middle of the school day leaving classes unsupervised.

This may all sound very "nutty" to you. However, for some of us, it is a daily reality. Don't misinterpret this to mean that I am unhappy with my lot. I love my students and the challenge of giving them the best education that I can with the resources that I have. They deserve it.

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2013

You are very empathetic and compassionate, schoolteacher. Do a post history of the OP and you may be less understanding of her 'plight'.

31. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 1, 2013

Clearly unfamiliar with the OP