Training Programs in Illinois

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by nwingate, Oct 21, 2014.

1. nwingate

nwingate New Member

Oct 21, 2014

Hello,

I have a BFA in Art with no formal training as a teacher. Currently, I am looking into Montessori Programs in Illinois, but have found very few. Seton is close to my area, but their Elementary I program (6-9) is spread out over two summers and won't begin until 2016. I'm 34, and would like to accelerate. Does anyone know of any programs near by I could look into. Also, any suggestions as to preparing for this field in my case. What is the process of becoming this type of educator, lenght of time, and costs?:)

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2014

Seton's training program is fairly representative, but there are other programs that will start every summer. I wonder why Seton only starts every other summer? I was under the impression they did the same.

Every training program will require that you do an internship, which is one school year long. Most of them require courses in the summer, then the yearlong internship, then follow up courses the next summer. I would highly recommend you stay away from online training programs since schools are not likely to hire you having done an online only training.