Tragedy

Discussion in 'General Education' started by holliday, Aug 29, 2009.

1. holliday

holliday Comrade

Aug 29, 2009

So we've been at school for 7 days. Yesterday, we had a lockdown. I assumed it was a drill since we normally have several at the beginning of the year. Well, the minutes kept ticking by and finally, when the time for lunch came and went, I realized something serious must be going on (of course, I told my kids it was probably a drill so they wouldn't start to panic).

Turns out that a few blocks over, the father of my former student (had him as a 7th grader and then last year as a student aide) shot his wife. Then he turned the gun on himself. It was a SWAT situation. The wife survived - I guess it grazed her leg. But now the boy is without his father.

The boy just started his freshman year so he's not at our school any more, but I still think we ought to do something for the family. I can't imagine what they are going through right now. :(

3. greengables

greengables Rookie

Aug 29, 2009

Oh my gosh, what a terrible situation for all. This will affect your whole community. Blessings.

4. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

Aug 29, 2009

How horrible. I think it'd be nice of you to start something for the family. We do penny wars and fundraisers all the time. You'd be surprised how much we can collect for charging $1 to wear pajama pants to school.

5. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 29, 2009

Oh how terrible. I will say a prayer for you community.

6. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 29, 2009

I am sorry. That is terrible. I will be praying for you, your community, and especially the family. Hugs!

7. TeaRoses4M&D

TeaRoses4M&D Rookie

Aug 29, 2009

How sad, what an awful situation. It is very considerate of you to want to help the family, I would imagine they would need support right now. Prayers to all.

8. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Aug 29, 2009

So sorry to hear! Definately start something for the family. Since he's new at the high school, they won't know him as well. You guys do, so I'm sure it would mean a lot to the family!

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 29, 2009

Even a card would be appropriate.

10. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Aug 29, 2009

I had a similar situation a couple of years ago, where the father of twins in my classroom (they were 4) committed suicide. I found that the community, church, etc didn't really jump in to help because they felt awkward about the situation. I definitely hope your school can do something for them. I will be praying for this family and your community. I am so sorry that this happened.

11. holliday

holliday Comrade

Aug 29, 2009

It's such a shame...the dad owns a successful driving school here and got busted for DWI this year, which put his business at risk. I guess he just snapped. But I can't imagine a more selfish act than trying to kill both parents of an only child. We're all in shock.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2009

I'm so very sorry.

Can we assume that the guidance personnel at the high school are aware?

13. ladyewolfe69

ladyewolfe69 New Member

Aug 29, 2009

How sad. I do hope the community steps in for the young child.

I understand what you mean about thinking it was a drill. We too have several drills at the beginning of school. However, last Thursday the high school a mile or so away from us(middle school) went into lock down. One of the kids texted his mom at our school to let us know. I'm still not sure what exactly happened, but I heard something about someone wrecking a car and running into the school to escape the police. They were in lockdown for a while too. I'm not even sure if they ever caught the guy or not. We've only been in school about 10 days and already its getting bad. AND we live in a SMALL town. NOT a city.

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2009

What a terrible situation. I'll keep your community in my thoughts.

15. holliday

holliday Comrade

Aug 29, 2009

Thanks for the positive thoughts! And yes, Aliceacc - the counselors know. I would *hope* they are planning something for us to do for the family, but since this happened on a Friday, I don't really know. I actually dreamed about the boy last night. It's just very disturbing.

16. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 29, 2009

My prayers to the family! :(

17. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 29, 2009

That is so horrible!! Poor kid. I would send him at least a card.