traffic light

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by love2teach, Aug 14, 2005.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2005

okay i KNOW i read this idea on here somewhere...(it may even be a thread that I started last week!) but my mind is overwhelemd right now......

I use the traffic light system and for the most part I think it works well. I like that its individualized for each child and very visual. This year I want parents to be more involved, so I was thinking of having a blank calender in each childs take home folder. At the end of each day the childre will have to wirte what color they are on. (G for gree, Y for yellow etc...) The parents will have to inital it....and this way the parents know what is going on each day....so that come report card time there are no suprises. My question is, has anyone done this? Is it time consuming and/or is it worth the time, paper etc...
    also what do you do when a paper gets lost or parents do not signt it?

:thanks:

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2005

I remember reading about it too. :) i keep track of colors everyday in my book....I just fill in the color next to their name...I have a template for that. that way if they lose their copy, you would still have a record of it. Maybe it would be more visual and noticeable for parents if instead of writing the letter, they would actually color in the square on the calendar with whatever color they ended up with. Just a thought.

4. Lson

Lson Rookie

Aug 14, 2005

Please explain traffic light system

I've been reading about the 'traffic light' method of behaviour management could someone please explain this to me? I'm a primary school 1st year student teacher it sounds like this would be primarily for early childhood years. The classrooms I've had involvement in (while very limited) use a level drop idea; level one is warning, level 2 is warning and level three is detention. :D :thanks:

5. Teener

Teener Companion

Aug 14, 2005

This is almost the same as what I do. I have a "Reading and Behavior Log" that goes home each night. (I took a piece of construction paper and folded it in half and laminated it.)

Inside on the left, I have a calendar which is changed each month. I put a sticker (colored dot labels work well) on the day to show their behavior (green, yellow, red, blue). The parents initial beside the dot each night. On the right side I have a reading log sheet for the parents to record the book their child reads each night and initial beside it.

I have the class rules and what each color sticker means printed on the top of the calendar.

Here is a link to a photo of what I use... http://www.geocities.com/cawalter2003/photos

6. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2005

kinderkids....do you have a copy of your template? I would love to see it! Im such a visual learner!
    Lson.....the traffic light system works something like this....
    each color has a meaning regarding behavior
    green- great, keep up the good work- postive consequences given
    yellow- warning
    red- stop! negative consequcne
    blue- still off track- note/phone call home
    stay on green for 5 days recieve a prize from prize box or wrok with a study buddy (little suffed animals)

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2005

I don't have a copy here but I will try to explain it to you,it really is quite simple. I use a grid, down the left side I list the kids names. Across the top I put the date......I have enough squares/days for each day in the quarter. In each little square, I simply need to "dot" it with a color matched marker for whatever color the child got. It is a rather small grid so I can fit a whole quarters worth onto two pages. Hope that helped! If not, let me know. I know what you mean about being a visual learner :)

8. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2005

thanks so much! that really helped! Sounds easy enough, I can just keep a copy in my plan book!
    Do you have your kids use a calendar for the Q as well, or do they get one month by month?

9. ilove2ndgrade

ilove2ndgrade Rookie

Aug 14, 2005

The kindergarten teacher in my school uses a similar traffic light system in her classroom. She has a stack of notes already run off and waiting by the door (green ones that say "I had a green light today", yellow ones that say "I had a yellow light" and so on...), and as the kids are getting ready to leave, she slips them a note to take home. The parents expect these every day and ask for them. It's a quick system!

10. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2005

I actually don't use the calendar in K. I just keep my own record and record the percentage of "stay on green" for the quarter on their progress reports. My goal is to get all kids 75% and above on green average. This is usually pretty easy for most of my kids. I was thinking of doing the calendar this year, but not sure yet if I'm going to implement it or not.....I do let parents know in the daily communication folder if the child got a color change, and why they did. This seems to have satisfied parents and questions they may have about their child's behavior. I'm glad the description helped you understand my template! :)

11. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2005

yeah, im not sure about the cadendar. Im in a new district, and I have gotten the impression that parent communication is a big thing....so I thought this would be a quick and easy way to communicat with them on a daily basis....I just dont know how it will pan out with 20 or so little ones at the end of the day....
    the slip is a good idea, but I just think of all the paper wasted!!

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2005

Thats how I feel at the end of the day too (it's much quicker for me to just jot down their color, they know how they did because they get a sticker if they are on green at the end of day, and if not, I review with them why not).......thats why my daily communication folder works great! Not so formal, but there when I need it! If parents ever have a question, I have it all recorded, but they shouldn't since I've already told them if there was a problem in the com. folder . (sorry......this just suddenly got very wordy)

13. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2005

what exaclty is in the communication folder?

14. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2005

Communication FOlder

I purchase (fairly cheap at Staples, etc.) the plastic coated folders that have the paper holder tabs in the center. I get red so theyare easy to see, and all the kids have the same. On the inside front cover I write "school" , on the back inside flap I write "Home". In the center I put about 15 or pieces of ruled loose leaf paper. This is my communication folder. I send it home everyday with my kids, and they learn responsibility in bringing it back daily. When I send papers home that need to come back to school, I place those on the school side of the foler. *these may be permission slips, lunch money envelopes, etc. If the papers I send home can stay at home, they are placed on the home side of the folder. It really helps keep me and the parents organzied. They don't get just a big "CLUMP" of papers that get lost in eachother. The paper in the center is used by both me and parents to communicate anything like behavior problems that day, something that was great I wanted to share, reminders to turn in monies, etc. They in turn use it to inform me if they need me to call or if their child will be picked up early, etc. It also helps me so notes don't get lost in backpacks etc. I have found this folder to be soooo helpful to both me and busy parents alike. I send a note home on our Open House night before the first day of school explaining how the folders work.

15. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 14, 2005

I use the traffic light, only it's flip cards, so I have green, yellow, red and blue. My kids have an assignment sheet that is filled out at the end of the day. If they stay on green they get a stamp or sticker on that day, also while I am going around, I make sure they each have their homework. They have to be at their seat to get stamped. If they flipped, I write the color and reason (later in the year the kid does this and I initial). Every night my students are supposed to get a parent signature/initials (there is a space for this for every day) that tells me they saw their behavior and their homework, as well as went through the folder's contents. They can also write notes back to me on this sheet either pertaining to the misbehavior, or Joey needs to take the bus home. It really only takes me about 8 min. to get around to 27 kids. I also keep a behavior board-a chart of all the kids names along with WYRB (w=warning), for each day of the week. I circle what the child recieves and keep this on file, I can easily pull it at conferences. I aslo keep track of who brings back signatures-very helpful for parent meetings and conferences.

16. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Aug 15, 2005

My traffic sign

I have a picture of my traffic light that I use for tracking behavior. The link below takes you to my classroom pictures. You'll have to flip through them to find the traffic light. I think I will add the idea of the grid with colored dots for documentation this year. Thanks for that idea!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=i2dqs9x.ct1bh5t&x=0&y=-rm5b5x
    click on "View Photos without signing in"

17. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 15, 2005

love2teach- I don't do the traffic light anymore, but this might help. I have a character chart for each student. I put a new one up each month. If the students had no sticks (still on green), they got a sticker for the day. If the students had any sticks (yellow or red), I would tally them on the character chart. This goes home at the end of the month, and parents have to sign and return a note that accompanies it. Students that have had no blue tickets (thats 2 sticks in one day) get to eat with me in the classroom. You can see a picture of my Character board here (just scroll down):
    http://web.sssd.k12.ar.us/southside-east/staff/woodrufh/browse the classroom.htm

18. melissa74

melissa74 Rookie

Aug 15, 2005

My school have planners that are used daily...at the beginning of first grade I walk around and put their color in their planners for them... but by November I let them put in their own colors... If they were anything but green for the day I write in their planners what happened... that way parents have a daily "journal" of their child's behavior... this is not time-consuming at all and I always have the planner at my fingertips!!

19. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 15, 2005

We have planners too. But in kinder, I need to put their colors in for them. It gets to the point that I know who will probably stay on green all day and can put their color in first thing in the morning. If anything happens during the day, I just "X" is out and change their color. For those that are iffy, I hold their planners out for a little longer and then put their color in before the end of the day. I have a planner helper who puts the planners into cubbies as one of their daily jobs. (not for awhile yet, they need to learn all the names first)

20. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2005

Glad you can use it! :)

21. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2005

I have been playing around and here is what i came up with so far.....let me know what you think....

_____________________________’s Behavior Calendar
    Parent/Guardian:
    Please review your child’s behavior calendar daily. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

 Class Rules
     Listen to and follow all directions
    the first time they are given
     Respect all people and property
     Do the best you can do
    Treat others they
    way you want to be treated

Key
    G= green- Great job!
    Postive consequence given
    Y= yellow- Slow down!
    Warning given
    R=red- Stop!
    Negative consequence given
    B= blue- Still off track!
    note or phone call home

Please keep this paper in your child’s folder!

Obviously the big blank space is where the calendar would be....each day the kiddies would fill in the correct color letter. DO you think this is a waste of time>?

22. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 18, 2005

Look's good, Love2Teach! I have a "poster" in my room that also has the key-with colored circles.