Traditional OR Year-Round?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 1, 2010

Do you work at a traditional or year-round school? Which do you prefer?

I like traditional & probably always will. I just love having one long vacation...as quickly as it zips by. The district I work for has switched back & forth a couple times. Now, it's been traditional.

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 1, 2010

My district is traditional, but I would LOVE year round. It's so hot here no one enjoys doing anything outside and I'm an outside person. I'd love to have more time off during the fall and spring.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2010

I think that I would like year-round if my daughter was on the same schedule.

5. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Aug 1, 2010

I work in a traditional school and have only had experience with that type of schedule.

One thing that I like about the traditional schedule is that summer vacation is truly a vacation from all of the thinking I do about my students. I still think about school, but it's more of the fun, what do I want to do differently next year, instead of what can I do to help students x,y and z with their various challenges.

The negative of a traditional schedule is the loss in learning for students. I just "love" doing MAP testing the first weeks of school and watching students get down on themselves because their scores dropped from what they were the previous spring. "Why did my score go down!?" "Did you read anything over the summer?" "No." "Well, there you go."

I would be willing to try year-round.

6. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 1, 2010

I would be all over year round. I would rather have my time off broken up and stay refreshed throughout the year (as long as my son had the same schedule as I did as I would want to have the same time off he does).

I have only ever worked traditoinal school year although I did seriously consider a job at a school that had a 4 day week (traditional year) at one point. They had longer days but less of them.

7. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Aug 1, 2010

We are traditional and I like it. It offers time to make extra money during the summer with summer school as well as offer a break and time for me to spend more quality time with my daughter.

8. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 1, 2010

I LOVE the traditional school year. I love the long vacation during the summer. It gives me a chance to get away and really relax.

I do not see it ever happening with us unless they put air-conditioning in our schools. The humidity is unbearable at times during the summer. The beginning of school and end of school can be difficult with the heat and humidity.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 1, 2010

We work on an "alternate traditional" schedule. I really like it.

We start the first of August. We get a week off in October, two weeks off in December, a week off in April, and 6-8 weeks in the summer.

I really like having some down time during the school year, and we still get a decent chunk of summer break, too.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2010

I have only ever worked on a traditional schedule, but I think I would love year round. I don't think there is any reason to have off in the summer at all. It really doesn't make any sense. Plus I get so burnt out during the year. But I feel like if we had regular breaks, I wouldn't rely on my summer to become human again.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 1, 2010

I work in a year-round school. The problem is that even though we get breaks throughout the year, we work 210 days instead of 180 like most schools. I think I would like year round if I only had to work 180.

12. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 1, 2010

I totally agree with what you said, and I would also like to be able to take vacations that are not super expensive!

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 1, 2010

I work in a school with a modified school year. We only get 6 weeks of summer vacation, we get 2 weeks off at Thanksgiving, 2 weeks off for Christmas and almost 3 weeks off for Spring Break. I love the long breaks during the school year but I hate the short summers -- an extra week would make it perfect.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 1, 2010

I'm w/ you plus I like to be able to travel & still have plenty of time to relax before & after a trip.

:(

15. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 1, 2010

Some of our schools are optionally trying the year-round this year. I would be all for it. I agree that the summer slide really isn't necessary for the kids to go through-to lose 3 months of learning and have to review so much sets everyone back. I think it would be very beneficial.

16. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Aug 1, 2010

I really like this idea. The idea of having more time off throughout the year is great.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 1, 2010

I wish my district would try a M-Th school wk.

18. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 1, 2010

I've worked both schedules and I prefer so much more the traditional school year schedule. For the year round schedule I would have November off, March off, and July off. I couldn't take advantage of traveling deals because my daughter was in a traditional schedule. I also didn't feel like I took a break at all because during our months off many teachers and I would tutor students during our break time to prepare them for standarized testing.

I love traditional schedule so much more because I can do more things with my daughter, do more projects at home because the weather is better, and take a longer break.

19. ms.

ms. Comrade

Aug 1, 2010

All of the schools in my area get that much time off and get a full summer break. (The only difference is a half week off in September, and half week off in October.)

20. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 1, 2010

I don't think I would like year-round because I would need more of a break in-between than just a few weeks. I need more of a mental separation between classes. It would feel weird to have all of the "end-of-the-year" celebrations and then start up again a few weeks later. I need a few months to re-organize, go through files, and get new ideas ready for the next year.

21. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Aug 1, 2010

I have taught both. As a teacher, in my personal life I really enjoyed the year round breaks. But it was very hard for my students (I taught K) to get back into the routine after each break (3 weeks off in Oct, 2 weeks off for Christmas, 3 weeks off in March, back a week then off a week for spring break, 3 weeks off in July). I feel like I really lost a lot of instruction time because I had to reteach procedures every time we came back. Also the middle and high schools were on the traditional schedule and so my attendance was really poor once the "big kids" were done for the summer.

I also agree that I often felt obligated to teach interventions during track breaks and didn’t feel like I had time to enjoy my vacation because I would work for 2 weeks of during 2 of my breaks.

I am very happy to be back to teaching 9 months.

22. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 1, 2010

I would like year-round schooling if they would pay me $20,000 more, but that won't happen. Our school will be year round starting during the 2011-2012 school year. I will be transferring. I need my vacation for my own sanity.

23. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 1, 2010

You still get a summer vacation though. I'm going to a year-round school this year. Kids come August 9th! They go until late June and we still get all of July off. We'll have a nice two week break at the end of August/beginning of Sept. just when everyone else is going back. :) I really like the schedule. Lots of refreshing breaks.

24. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Aug 2, 2010

Well most schools here in Australia are on a year round schedule (the only exception I know being the American International School in Sydney) and I couldn't imagine it any other way. As it is we have 4 school terms and 4 break periods each year. At the end of term 1 (usually around Easter) is our first 2 week break and then another 2 weeks around end of June/beginning of July and then another final two weeks at the end of Sept/beginning of Oct. Our summer holidays start in the week prior to Christmas (around 19th/20th December) and finish after Australia Day (26th January). So, usually school would start around 27th-29th January meaning we get quite a nice chunk of holidays.
    My kids go to an independent school and their holidays are aligned mostly with the government sector except that they start a week earlier in the middle of the year (getting 3 weeks holidays instead of 2) and start their Christmas/Summer holiday a week earlier too (getting 6.5 weeks instead of 5.5weeks). They also have 2 mid term breaks (just a three day long weekend for both students and staff) per year during the longer school terms.

25. NC1stGradeTeach

NC1stGradeTeach Rookie

Aug 2, 2010

I would love year-round schools!!!

26. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Aug 2, 2010

I work the traditional calendar, but I would LOVE year-round. Having the year broken into quarters with breaks in-between would help keep me fresh.

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2010

"Traditional"-- in every sense of the word.

28. beckaloulou

beckaloulou Rookie

Aug 4, 2010

I work in a balanced calendar schedule I start First monday in Aug, then have 2 weeks off in Oct for fall break, 3 for winter break and 3 for spring break then the kids have 7 weeks for summer and the teachers have 6...it is GREAT!!!!!:thumb:

29. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2010

I would consider mine a traditional schedule. We start next week but get a week in November (Thanksgiving), 2 weeks in December (Christmas), a week in Feb-Mar (Mardi Gras), a week in Mar-April (Easter), and then finish at the end of May and get about 8 weeks for summer. The only other 2 days that we are off are Labor Day and MLK Day. I like this because we like to go on vacation at Thanksgiving or Mardi Gras because it is usually cooler, cheaper, and smaller crowds. The only vacation we normally take in the summer is going back and forth between our house and our beach condo.

Somebody said something about a 4 day work week which has been experimented with in South Louisiana and the problem that was found was that so many parents work and could not afford to pay daycare that there are now programs set up in schools that mimic daycare on Mondays (the day they are off) and the school system is still paying teachers to babysit, breakfast and lunch are still being served and the buildings still need to be heated or cooled. The only thing that was accomplished was extra time to work on state testing.

30. missalli

missalli Companion

Aug 4, 2010

Yep, my old school had what we called a 'modified traditional schedule'. Start in late July, two weeks off in October, Dec/Jan, and March, and school ends in early June. I loved it... October is one of the best times to go to Disneyland!

31. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 4, 2010

This is what I think would happen if schools in my area tried year-round. I think parents would see any school between May and August as "optional".

32. 5throx

5throx Rookie

Aug 4, 2010

I like the year round...I'm contracted for less days than the traditional schools in my district (the school days are significanly longer though), every few weeks, I get a few weeks off to relax and regroup, catch up on what I've gotten behind on, and if I need the extra cash, I can sub within my own school, within the district, or work during the district's version of summer school that takes place while kids are off track. The substitutes are off track teachers, so my kids know they can't get away with messing around for the sub.
    The biggest drawbacks: I only have access to my room for a week to get ready before school starts. Rotating classes with other teachers is incredibly complicated. When school ends and starts in July the kids' heads are still at the swimming pool with the cousin who goes to traditional school.
    The pros still outweigh the cons....I love the year-round