Trader Joe's favorite foods you've recently discovered!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Oct 25, 2010.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Oct 25, 2010

They always seem to have new foods weekly when we go. Yesterday, I decided to buy a treat so went for the new "peanut butter goodies" cookies == oh my goodness, the best ever I had about 4 when the serving size said 2! :haha:

Wwe also tried the new turkey meatloaf "muffins" -- not real muffins, they are just shaped like them. As I was sampling to see if they were ready, I almost ate my dinner in the kitchen they were that good (topped with mashed potatoes, spinach, and cheese) ! :)

So if you have a TJ's in your area, what is something you love there that you've recently found.... Food or Non Foods...

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 25, 2010

The closest TJ to me is about an hour away so I don't get there that often. My hubby had business in that area so he stopped by there to get us some treats. We usually get the same things all the time. The only different thing he got this time was a few cans of the TJ dog food LOL MY dog LOVES IT. I'm going to have to go back there when he eats the last can. I'd love some ideas on what to look for the next time I go.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 25, 2010

They sell Mochi Ice Cream for the best price in town. It's not a TJ food, though, just a great price.

I buy my lunches from the freezer department at TJs. I got a layered eggplant parmesan last week that was so, so good! It's my new find. I also regularly get the butter chicken, palaak paneer, veggie pad thai, paneer tiki masala, and baked ziti.

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2010

My all time favorite this time of year (not new, but delicious) - the frying cheese with pumpkin butter on top. Mmmmm...

My latest favorite is the mahi mahi burgers with the cilantro dressing on top.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 25, 2010

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 25, 2010

Frying cheese?

8. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Oct 25, 2010

I really liked the Pumpkin Butter I picked up these week.
    I LOVE their peanut butter filled pretzels.

Our TJs is about 30 mins away, and not a place where I am often. I try to go every few weeks.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 25, 2010

I love so many things in their frozen food aisle, it's too many to list! I also love their vanilla sandwich cookies.

10. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 25, 2010

I now have a package of Frying Cheese in my refrigerator. Hubby was at TJs when I posted here last time so I texted and he brought it. Try it tomorrow...

11. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2010

Whenever my sister comes to town, we buy frying cheese and have a hunk of it for dinner. We're too busy talking to waste time cooking much more than cheese :lol:

12. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 25, 2010

Sounds good, Danny'sNanny. My sister and I used to have artichokes, baguette, and red wine for dinner when we first "grew up." :D

13. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2010

I got those peanut butter goodies too. mmmmm.

My cat really liked the cat food.

Pretty much anything in the freezer is good to me. Coconut Curry sticks, fried rice, soycutash..

My absolute favorite thing from there, though, is the red curry sauce. Since I am no longer living near one, I clear the shelves every time I go. It is my favorite go to meal - throw in some chicken and rice and broccoli. Done.

14. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 26, 2010

looks like I will be making a stop at Trader Joes on my home from school today

15. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2010

What is a Trader Joes?

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 26, 2010

17. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Oct 26, 2010

It's a unique grocery store that only sells their brand of foods, etc. They're small but have food that is usually affordable and delicious! You have to watch the fat content though on their desserts, etc like anywhere else but the taste of almost everything I've tried is amazingly good even from a box!

I can get a long list of groceries for $100 because most things are under $5 on the receipt -

Wild sockeye salmon for 3-4 people might be $6 but other than that their prices are great!

The parking lot is a zoo. :woot:

18. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2010

They don't only sell TJ brand stuff - they do sell a few things that you can get in other stores. I love Peanut Butter Panda Puffs, which I can get in my grocery store.

Most of their products are all natural, and many of them are gluten free. All their produce is organic.

They buy directly from the supplier to keep the cost down, and they only keep what sells, so sometimes there might be something you like that they just don't have anymore - they keep their stores on the small side and products have to earn their keep, basically. Which is probably why everything I get there is awesome.

19. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Oct 26, 2010

Ah, well that's what I was thinking but yeah you're right. My uhsband thought everything they carried was their own brand so that's what I'm used to hearing but when I stop to think about it, they do have some other brands.

We're lucky to have one just down the street open up!

20. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Oct 27, 2010

Hubs is gone this week, and I got some easy things to throw together at TJs. Loved the three cheese pizza with Blue Cheese. Yum!

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 27, 2010

The immutable truths about Trader Joe's include that the parking is NEVER adequate - whether the TJ's in question is in a storefront, a strip mall, or a really-o truly-o mall. And the stores are always tight fits, because they tend to be absolutely jam-packed with stuff. And the goods are nearly always terrific. But, yes: from time to time one gets seriously hooked on a product, and then it - vanishes, because somehow other people just never got the memo or something. This has been going on for years: Southern Californians of a certain vintage can tell you about the late lamented Chocolate Hog, which was very nearly the chocolate dessert to end all chocolate desserts (in fact, I think it was simply too much, even for TJ stalwarts).

22. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2011

I went for the first time this weekend!
    OH MY ..I made the spicy beef and broccoli tonight SO GOOD!!!

..I also got lemon pepper paperdelli pasta, whole wheat Gnocci, pb pretzles (YUM) and breaded eggplant. Im making the eggplant tomorrow!

23. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2011

I think I would really like Trader Joe's, but unfortunately there isn't one in the entire state of Kentucky. :(

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 28, 2011

I travel to another state to shop there. I keep hoping they will open one in my town. There is an empty building that would be perfect for a TJ store but so far they have not responded to all of my emails about it LOL :lol:

25. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Mar 28, 2011

My husband and I get the Turkey Andouille Sausage, cut it up and brown it over the stove. Then, we put it in pasta sauce and serve it over farfalle pasta - YUM!!!