Tracking times table mastery

Discussion in 'General Education' started by strepsils, Jan 19, 2014.

1. strepsils

strepsils Companion

Jan 19, 2014

I am looking for an accurate and efficient method to track students as they learn their times tables (with quick recall!).

What methods do you use?

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2014

If you can have them use the computer for 5-10 minutes a day (or even every 2-3 days), Xtramath.org! Almost no work on your end of scoring or keeping track of which kind of problems (i.e. x5s or x8s, etc...) they are struggling with - it does it all for you and puts it into a nice organizer so you can see the facts that they have mastered (with quick recall, as you said!), ones they have but are not quite at the quick recall, and those that they are still struggling with accuracy.

4. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jan 19, 2014

I have a file with drill sheets on it for each times multiplication fact - x 0, x 1, x2, etc. When they can complete 20 problems in 2 minutes with no mistakes (yes, I'm tough LOL), they can move on to the next drill sheet. I also give them a certificate for mastering that set of facts.

Make sure you keep a chart with who is on what multiplication facts so you know what drill sheet to give.

You can do that for 2 minutes every day or every other day or whatever...

5. strepsils

strepsils Companion

Jan 19, 2014

Thanks for the xtramath website!

I have previously had kids do 50 questions in 3 min, but as our school is heading towards paperless/very reduced photocopy budget, I'm looking for methods that are effective and use less paper, however, if I need to photocopy drill sheets, I will!

6. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jan 20, 2014

Laminate the drill sheets and have them use dry erase markers.