Tracking that homework is turned in on time?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by LS31582, May 3, 2009.

1. LS31582

LS31582 Rookie

May 3, 2009

I have been struggling to find a way to keep track of homework assignments, who has and has not turned them in. Our mornings are very rushed so I do not get to always go through each stack of papers, especially when I have assigned a couple of things. Does anyone have any ways to track who has/has not turned an assignment in, and if it is late or not. I would appreciate any help.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 3, 2009

I'm grade 2- I get around to my kids' desks during snack time to check that HW is done, Monday through Thursday. Anyone who is missing work signs my missing HW book. On Fridays, I have the kids pile their work in the middle of their tables- a 'table capatin' checks that everyone has turned in the required work...if someone doesn't have the work on Friday, they sign the missing HW book as well...I check thorugh the missing HW book about once a week and for kids who have missed 4 hw assignments within a short time (over a month or less), I send home a form listing all the missing work, asking parents to speak with their child about responsibility, etc. Parents are asked to sign the paper and return it to school. I hang onto these returned sheets.

4. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

May 5, 2009

This is something that I really struggled with as well, but I think I've finally got it. I do check-in every morning. I list on the board the homework that needs to be checked in. Students line up and place their homework in piles as I check it off the list. At first, I thought it was too time consuming, but this is the best way I can actually address the missing work at that time. If students don't have something, I write it in their agenda book right then and there. (Students must always have their agendas with them at check in). I keep the checklist for the week, then I send home a weekly report. The weekly report is not only a newsletter, but also lists all hw due during the week. If a student is missing an assignment at the end of the week, it is circled on the weekly report. I feel this is more than enough opportunities for me to communicate to the parents that assignments are missing. If the work is not turned in, it is a 0 after a week. It sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't. I just started doing it this year, but I wouldn't do it any other way.

5. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 5, 2009

I'm not sure if this would help you but I can tell you what I do. I assign all my homework through the computer. My students leave it in the class "inbox." I can see the date and time that the file has been uploaded into the inbox. If it is in the inbox before the beginning of the class on the day it's due, it's on time. If it only makes it into the inbox after the beginning of class on the day due, then it's late (unless I have explicitly granted an extension).

6. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

May 7, 2009

I have a class checklist table that has all their names typed on it and a dozen or so blanks at the top for me to write in assignments. It's very low-tech, but easy to access and shows me work over a week or two.

I start off every morning with a warmup; it gives me 15-25 minutes at the beginning of the day to check homework, send home green notes (for missing homework), and make any necessary phone calls. Students know to put their agendas on their desks with homework stacked on top. Generally, my homeworkopoly helper checks most homework for me during this time with a check plus, check, and check minus; anyone who does not have homework sign their initials. Stuff that needs to be graded is collected and turned in to me.

7. patsfan82

patsfan82 Rookie

May 8, 2009

I have a student job that is the "homework checker". I have a stack of small square slips I made with a spot for the date, a blank line to write the assignment name, the numbers 1-29, and HW CW T Q P (homework, classwork, test, quiz, project). Every morning the homework checker takes a slip of paper to her seat. The rest of the students pass all homework into her. She crosses their number off the list once it's received, puts the pile in number order, and circles any numbers that were not turned in. Once students are working independently during class, I then check the slip and call up any students who did not pass in homework and stamp their planners. It's worked great for me, not very time consuming, and the hard part is all done by a student leaving me free to do other morning tasks!

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 11, 2009

I do something similar to patsfan82. I often check the papers this year while my students work on spelling. I also have my students all stand, and sit when I call their name.