Tracking Student Goals

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Jul 14, 2012.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 14, 2012

So part of our new evaluation includes a section on tracking student goals and I really struggled with this last year. Obviously I have tons of goals for my kiddos, but we needed something we could assess and see growth with throughout the year. It's supposed to be posted, the kids need to be able to talk about them, identify how they are doing if someone observing asks, etc.

Here's my dilemma. Last year we did # of sight words they could read and reading fluency. The problem with that was, some students really struggled with these skills and had no stickers on the chart for months at a time and had to look at the ones who did. I overheard conversations the kids would have with each other, discussing how "Mary" was the smartest kid in the class because she has the most stickers. I don't like those designations to be on their minds-especially so young.

So my question is, do you track goals publicly in the classroom and if so, what do you track? Is there a way you do it that has been more successful than my experience?

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2012

I know data walls are becoming super popular, but they make me sick to my stomach. Nobody should be able to visually see how others are doing. I keep data binders, but they are just for the students, myself and their families.

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 14, 2012

My colleague in K did a cute data wall last year called "The Land of I Can." She had a list of "I Can" goals for K...like I can count to 100....I can name all my shapes....etc. I don't know if those are real I'm just making up examples. Anyway, each thing corresponded to a shape for the Land. If you met one goal you got a cloud....another goal was the middle of a flower....other goals were the petals on the flower....and others were parts of a tree, etc. At the beginning of the year the land was just a mountain, but by the end it was covered in all these beautiful things.

I think she numbered the pieces for each kid, but I know that they LOVED it. Five year olds don't understand boring charts and percents, but they could get this. "I'm trying to earn my flower!" I'm gonna steal it somehow and adapt it to 6th.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 14, 2012

That sounds soooo cool! And I can tie it into my Wizard of Oz theme and make it like "The Yellow Brick Road of I Can" or something. Thanks Foursquare.

iheartrecess-I completely agree with you. People couldn't give us examples of how to do this category in K, but make it something the kids could really understand. If I listen to my heart and post nothing, then when they come observe, I may be marked down. It's definitely something I need to think about.....

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

We used percentages when this was required. So one student may have a goal of 4 sight words while another has a goal of 50 sight words. Then they got to move their piece along at various percentage markers toward their goal. Not perfect, but better than using the numbers.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 15, 2012

I like that idea too. I wonder if they would understand the percentage part? I guess it really doesn't matter-just as long as the people who are evaluating understand. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

8. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jul 15, 2012

I like the idea of percentages if you have to, or some kind of non-comparative approach, such as a child earning a star if a goal was met. Assuming you're setting appropriate goals, each child should have the opportunity to earn stars, even if absolute rate of learning is different.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

I doubt the kids would understand percents, but you would just let them know and you could just talk about how close they are to meeting their goals.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2012

Such a cute idea!

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 15, 2012

Does it have to publicly posted? I plan to use a "Pensieve" for reading/ela and another for math - similar to the Daily 5 pensieve, but customized for me - that way, each student's goals and abilities are really between me, them, and their families. Does this make sense? I guess if I didn't have such a huge range of abilities - from those who make no progress to kids reading at 3rd grade levels (last year), a public data wall would be more fair, or less overwhelming for my low kiddos. Just the way my mind works (or doesn't, lol).

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 15, 2012

It's "encouraged". That way the kids can look at it every day and see if they are reaching their goals. When they observe, they have a check-off list and walk around looking at what's posted. If I kept it in a binder or something, I could show it as evidence-but the kids are supposed to be involved in the process.

For Kinder, using a sticker chart worked really well, besides the fact that I didn't like it being public and some kids just were overwhelmed by the number of stickers their colleagues received.:unsure: They understood where they needed to be and how far they were from where they needed to be, but some just didn't have the capabilities the other had to get there.

13. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 15, 2012

We use Data Notebooks that the kids keep track of. Last year we included a chart to track Spelling Test grades, an AR chart to track AR levels, copies of their behavior cards, and Math Facts Quiz scores.

14. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 15, 2012

queenie - do you have copies of any forms you use for the data notebooks?

15. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jul 16, 2012

We use data notebooks, too, and our student info is not publicly displayed but shared only with the student/parents/participating teachers/admin. We track three things for LA: fluency, comprehension, reading level. We also track vocab, but it isn't on the student data sheet.

16. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 16, 2012

Is that in your early childhood grades too?

For us, their fluency/reading level is pretty much non-existent in the beginning. We could do listening comprehension, but that would be really time-consuming to assess regularly.

17. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 16, 2012

Not at home... they are saved on my computer at school. If I think of it when I get back in my room in the next few weeks I'll share the templates on TPT for free and post a link if you want. :)

18. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 16, 2012

The K teachers in my school use rainbows the kids color to represent the sight words they know. When they know a certain group of words, they get to color in part of their rainbow. They are hung up for everyone to see and while it took some kids a bit longer than others to have their whole rainbows colored, each kid had something colored.

They were cute but I don't necessarily like that they were hung up.

19. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jul 16, 2012

No, sorry - just grades 2-5, not sure about early grades...I used to teach kindergarten, and we tracked letter-recognition, sight words known, etc., but not publicly.

20. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2012

Thanks!:thumb: