Tracking Independent Reading

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Gopher4, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jul 6, 2005

I have my 4th graders for 2 hour blocks. I teach Reading and S.S. I am always looking for a quick, but effective way to keep up with what they are reading independently. I am not an avid user of AR (Accelerated Reader). It is a choice in my room. I just want them reading good books. I have had them keep a reading log and complete a short book report upon completion of AR or library books. I would appreciate any suggestions you have for keeping my kids accountable for their independent reading.

3. lcr

lcr Companion

Jul 6, 2005

status of the class

You might want to spend the first 5 minutes of reading taking a status of the class. Just have a chart printed up with all their names for a week at a time (Make a hard copy so you don't have to rewrite their names every week). Call out their names and have them tell you which book they are reading. Abbreviate the title on your chart. This way you can see how long a book is taking, who is abandoning books too easily, and what genres they are experimenting with. As the kids get used to the routine, the procedure will speed up.

4. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Jul 6, 2005

My students keep a reading response journal (spiral). In the front we glued a reading tracking form that is just a chart with these headings across the top: title, author, date completed, genre, # of pages. When students finish a book, they add it to the chart and then they must write a reading response in the spiral. I require each response to be at least one half page in length. They must write the title of the book and then they can choose a topic from a list we glue into the front. Some of the topics are:

- Write about the main character. What type of person is he/she?
    - Write about the setting. Where and when did the story take place?
    - Did you like the ending? Why or why not? How would you change the ending?

And so on... there's at least 20 topics on our list. Students have a day of the week when they must turn in their response journals for checking. About 5 students a day turn theirs in so I can spread out my grading job. It only takes a few minutes for me to check. Sometimes I write a note to them about what they are reading, write a recommendation of a book I think they may like, and sometimes I just put a check mark. Students receive a participation grade for the 6 weeks if they have correctly completed 6 responses. If a student is reading a longer chapter book and does not finish it in one week, they may write more than one response on that same book. This system has worked well for me and the kids like to see what I have written to them in their journals. I never have much luck with reading sheets that have to be signed by parents to show that their kids are reading at home. (We don't have a lot of parent participation at my school). So, I use this method because most of their reading is done at school anyway.

5. teacherteacher

teacherteacher Rookie

Jul 6, 2005

tracking independent reading: to cam

I like your idea of using a simple spiral as a reading response log. This sounds like something I could implement in my fourth grade classroom. Would you happen to have a copy of the 20 copies you could send? Or post?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2005
  6. teacherteacher

teacherteacher Rookie

Jul 6, 2005

Cam...

I apologize...I didn't mean to repost your comments. I copied and pasted so I could I have your post in front of me as I typed my own comment. So sorry, this looks so tacky to me.

7. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jul 6, 2005

Thank you for your idea.

8. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jul 6, 2005

This just might work for me. Thanks for your time and suggestion. :)

9. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jul 6, 2005

camcdade: what a great idea!!

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 6, 2005

teacherteacher, I fixed the quote for you. ;)

11. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Jul 6, 2005

teacherteacher... I will post the list of reading response topics below. I can also send you the reading list tracking form in a Word document if you want it. Just send me your email address and I'll get it to you.

Choose one of the following topics for your reading response. Your response should include the date and the title of the book you are writing about and should be at least 1/2 page in length.

1. What is the setting of the book? Where and when does the story take place? How is the setting important to the story?
    2. Write about a connection you made. Did this book remind you of something in your own life, another book, or something in the world?
    3. How did the book make you feel? Explain.
    4. What are you wondering about? What questions did you have as you read?
    5. What did you like/dislike about this book?
    6. Write about the main character. What type of person was he/she? What are some words that describe this character?
    7. What are some new facts you learned by reading this book? Explain. (This one is best for nonfiction)
    8.What did you notice about the author's writing style?
    9. What do you think was the author's message?
    10. Why did you choose this book? Would you recommend it to a friend? Why or why not?
    11. Write your own summary of this book. Be sure to include the most important information from the beginning, middle and end.
    12. What did you find most interesting and why?
    13. What would you change about the book? Explain.
    14. What purpose did the author have for writing this book?
    15. What did you notice about the author's word choices? Any special language?
    16. What part was funny to you? Explain.
    17. Tell about the genre. Is this book fiction, nonfiction, poetry, etc.
    18. Tell whether this book was easy, just right, or challenging for you. Explain.
    19. What do you predict will happen next? (Use this one if you have not finished the book yet.)
    20. Tell why you abandoned this book? (Use if you chose not to finish a book.)

I spend the first few weeks of school doing some modeled writing with these topics with books I have read aloud so students will know what I expect in their responses.

12. j9saylor

j9saylor Rookie

Jul 6, 2005

13. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Jul 6, 2005

sure!

14. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Jul 7, 2005

camcdade, great idea!

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 7, 2005

16. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 7, 2005

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2005

Could you send it in word form to me, too? Thanks so much! What an awesome idea:)

lgarrett@ewingboe.org

~Leigh