toys?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Here2Learn, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Here2Learn

Here2Learn Companion

Jun 3, 2008

what toys do you have in your classroom that you think the children REALLY learn from when they play? basically, if you could pick one toy that you think is the BEST for learning which toy would it be?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2008

I'm grade 2- i don't have 'toys'...

Math manipulatives, though-
    base ten blocks
    Judy clocks
    dice
    cards
    tangrams
    pattern blocks

4. Here2Learn

Here2Learn Companion

Jun 3, 2008

well, thanks for the input! i am talking about toys, really.....i know what manipulatives are, but toys....

5. devama

devama Companion

Jun 3, 2008

it sounds crazy, but my kids LOVED mister potato heads. i got a bunch at a yard sale and their enthusiasm did not decrease all year! they would talk about body parts and which have one and which have two.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2008

What grade are you focusing this toy search on? You have PreK-3 listed on your profile...knowing what age group would point us in a direction- I think you would find many elementary grades beyond first have minimal 'toys'...My only toys are in my 'indoor recess closet' and truthfully the kids don't even play with them correctly...they seem to like Connect 4 and Dominoes but outside of strategy in Connect 4 and the chain reaction thing of dominoes (plus the value of social interaction...) I don't see much real learning in them....

7. MsG

MsG Companion

Jun 3, 2008

When I taught K, we also had Mr. Potato Heads. Also, blocks and legos - I was surprised at how many kids had never played with them! My older kids love the erector sets! I also have lots of board games. Younger: Candy Land, Cootie, etc. Older: Operation, Monopoly Jr, Checkers, Chess, Mancala, etc. These are usually for free time or indoor recess, but they love it.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 3, 2008

lego
    k'nex
    board games -- all kinds

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 3, 2008

Boggle
    Outburst

10. Here2Learn

Here2Learn Companion

Jun 3, 2008

well, that's what i'm trying to find out.....are there any toys that your students "play" with that they actually learn from? not ones that they just mess around with and use incorrectly like you said.

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 3, 2008

board games and anything they play with with a peer are all about social skills...

12. heart4kids

heart4kids Rookie

Jun 3, 2008

13. Here2Learn

Here2Learn Companion

Jun 3, 2008

yeah, board games and mr. potato head sound great......i am thinking of toys that they will actually play with and not just use incorrectly or go to waste on a shelf...ones that you all find they TRULY enjoy and learn with. thanks for all of your ideas!

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 3, 2008

Here2Learn, maybe you could list a few toys that you consider something a student can truly enjoy and learn with. I am not too sure we understand what you are looking for...

15. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 3, 2008

Board games.... My kids love Connect 4

16. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 3, 2008

I believe Parenting Magazine, or something similar, put out a top 10 list of toys for a variety of age groups. Most toys are manipulatives designed around a purpose. So you could create games using manipulatives. Also, I found most toys to be used correctly when the students were taught how to use/play the games/toys.

BTW...I agree with Proud. Post some of your ideas and we could let you know our experiences with those toys.

17. Here2Learn

Here2Learn Companion

Jun 3, 2008

you guys answered my question....thanks! the responses you gave is what i was looking for. i am taking two summer classes that last 4 weeks total......and the classes normally span over 15weeks...so i have TONS of assignments....and i'm always looking for fresh, new ideas besides just the same old answers everyone gives based on what our professors teach us. i have ideas of my own.....but nobody knows what REALLY works in a classroom better than teachers who are currently in one! thanks again!

18. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jun 3, 2008

Legos

19. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 3, 2008

Hello Here2,

I student-taught in a k-2 special ed room this spring. The classroom was AWESOME with tons of resources - it was the room that all the other teachers came to when they needed to borrow something! Anyway, she had lots of toys that were really popular with the kiddos. Mr. Potato Head and Legos were a hit (as already mentioned). In addition, they enjoyed magnetic building toys (I tried to find them online - they're really large so no small pieces can be swallowed, but no luck), cooking sets, a "doctor bag", a "construction worker" bag, and puzzles. She gave them free time every now and then and the kids would run to those toys every time. We had a little chef, a doctor, a builder... lol It was great. I even made a menu for the chef, he loved it. :)

20. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 4, 2008

Monopoly (working with money)
    Memory Games

I just bought magnetic words to put on my blackboard for students to use during free time. They build sentences. While it's not a game I can see many students enjoying it.

I also have a magnetic map of the US that I put on my chalkboard. The kids love it! Many will work on it while we wait our turn to use the restroom.

21. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 4, 2008

Puzzles

I have a space puzzle they LOVE and I just ordered sentence building puzzles. I want to get some more that fit in with our themes.

22. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jun 4, 2008

I think that they can learn from almost all toys. My kids started the year loving Connect 4 and then when they got bored of it, they made their own game involving the pieces. So yes, they were using them incorrectly but they were being very creative. They have more rules in their new game and I can't even follow it.

So I would argue that most games/toys have some learning value, maybe not in the traditional sense however.

23. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 4, 2008

I think most any board game in the classroom is useful!
    My kids play with legos and k'nex and we LOVE them. They do such great play with the legos. They create cities, share them, sell them, buy them, etc. I have play money that I use for math but they have started using it to make businesses with their legos. This is good play. They do it at their morning recess, which can be outdoors or indoors.

24. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 4, 2008

Puppets! And a hat/costume box. I find dramatic play allows students to model real life experiences in a safe way.

25. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2008

We worked on a 1000 piece puzzle over the winter months.

The game bop-it but it is noisy. it teaches them to listen and concentrate.

UNO
    Battleship
    sequence

26. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jun 4, 2008

Legos! I brought all of my son's legos into the room. I have them in 4 big bins. The kids would rather build with them than do anything else. They create towns, alien villages, machines, etc. The cooperation I see is wonderful.