Toys R Us and Carson’s are closing!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Master Pre-K, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2018

Good morning all,

I was in the mall yesterday, and I was totally shocked when I walked towards Carson’s and saw the signs: “Store closing - Going Out of Business.”

I heard about Toys R Us...and was still reeling over that, but Carson’s?!

Bought some Cliqnue face cream, and headed out. Talked to a few clerks. Wished them well. I was in tears.

I had worked there twice. Worked for Toys R Us too. How did this happen??

Yeah, economy is bad. Brick and mortar stores can’t keep up with online shoppers. Kmart was the victim last year, only a few of those left.

But to me, it’s the end of an era. How much fun did you have shopping Carson’s doorbuster and yellow tag sales? Carsons was my pampering day. I felt good splurging on nice things for myself and my home. It was one of the biggest, brightest anchors of the malls! Penny’s, Sears and Carsons.

I looked forward to taking my grand daughter to Toys R Us and letting her have fun, getting her special gifts. I depended on Babies R Us for classes when my daughter was pregnant.

I know there’s lots of stores that are cheaper and have good quality merchandise. But the customer service and perks are not there. Carsons had a great styling salon.

I feel empty knowing that the premium stores are closing. What’s left for me to do? The abandonded stores create an eyesore. It’s sad.

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 22, 2018

I’ve never heard of Carson’s.

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2018

Carson Pirie Scott & Co. Also known as The Bon-Ton Stores and Bergens. High end department store, major player in the malls. The huge displays, especially Christmas displays. Furniture, a styling salon, the works. Usually one of the anchor wings in the mall.

6. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Apr 22, 2018

It's bad here is Michigan. I feel that after the great recession, everyone is worried about spending lots of money. For toys and such products, it is cheaper to go on ebay and order them. You can buy toys for a few cents and then pay $5-10 dollars for combined shipping for an entire box. I have bought entire lots of stuffed animals for $30 (including shipping). That is way cheaper than going to Walmart.
    Anyway, this year they are closing (in Michigan):
    20 Toys R Us
    12 Babies R Us

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2018

Carsons was similar to Norstoms, Lord and Taylor, Macy’s, Bloomingdales, Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus....

8. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Apr 22, 2018

Yes, I've lived in my current town for only 3 years and have had several major stores close.
    We've gotten a lot of our stuff from all the store closing sales!
    We already hit up Toys R Us :)

futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2018

Mrs B is in tears. When we visit the US she spends a fortune in Carsons, Macys and Nordstrom! Perhaps I can steer her towards Target in future:D

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2018

Blazer, you mean Tarjet (tar-jay)! :rolleyes:

It was Marshall Fields’ poor step-sister.

I had a Mervyns card and cut it up when I left CA. I never knew that I was able to use it at Marshall Fields and Target.:eek:

Stores today open and close a year later! I got a oven from HHGregg. What happened to them?!

Oh I am just heartbroken. No more milkman or Home Juice delivery. Yeah, I guess you can shop online for groceries but...not the same.

I guess it’s not just the store...for those of you who can’t relate/never heard of Carson’s. It’s another an epic icon falling down.

No more S&H Green stamps....another era in the world is over. Venture, Zayre, Montgomery Wards, Goldblatt’s, Wieboldt’s, 5-7-9, Lerner’s....

Woolworth’s....:(:anyone:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  11. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2018

Woolies closed in the UK about 7 years ago. However I have just booked to go to Australia in 2019 and they are still going over there!

12. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Apr 23, 2018

I think in the not-so-near future it’s going to be just huge stores like Wal-Mart and Costco and online retailers like Amazon and eBay, with the occasional mom-and-pop shop here and there.

Amazon CEO and founder Jeff Bezos is incredibly intelligent and has excellent business acumen. He knew how important it was to continually grow his company and to buy into many industries. In fact, his company just acquired the rights to the Lord of the Rings franchise and he is sinking a half billion dollars into the new tv series, which I can’t wait to watch. His company is buying into so many industries in huge demand that it will probably be more profitable than Apple and Microsoft combined, one day.

I think the problem is that these large companies and stores didn’t ever modernize. They refused to get with be times and reach out to millennials, which is my generation. We just aren’t interested in the same things as Generations Xers or Baby Boomers are.

13. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Apr 23, 2018

I still have a Saks Fifth Avenue in the town right next to mine and frequent them often. They had a sale about two months ago and everything was up to 80% off. I loved it and bought shirts for $20-$30 that we’re normally $120-$150. I ended up spending like $800 and bought like three new wardrobes! ;)

14. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Apr 23, 2018

Other than Goldblatt's, they're all familiar to me. Heck, I've got clothes from 5-7-9, back when a 5 was more like today's 0. Mom used to love Hit-or-Miss. She bought a navy wool peacoat there for $5 and it's been through three girls. Our Carson's is a Bergner's. I was there today and found no good deals. We'll miss their Black Friday sales. Our Macy's closed last year, so did our Penney's. Our mall is left with Kohls as an anchor and H&M is going in where Penney's was. We're still a bit bitter about Kohls buying Main Street and dropping the quality. We also miss O'Conner and Goldberg Shoes (OG's).

Since you're a Midwesterner, check out Von Maur as a possible replacement. They're along the lines of a Lord & Taylor, slightly nicer than Carson's. We love ours. They do free shipping and some free alterations. You can occasionally find nice things in the clutter at Steinmart too. I found waterproof Uggs for $35 last summer.

Master Pre-K likes this.
  15. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2018

The other store Mrs B would spend my money in is Kohls. Is that still going?

16. rpan

rpan Cohort

Apr 24, 2018

What do you hope to buy in Woolies that you can’t buy in the UK? It’s just a supermarket. I live in Australia so if you know of any gems in Woolies I need to get my hands on, pray tell!

17. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2018

No after anything in particular but having a Woolies on every High Street was a feature of so many places in the UK. It made a place seem welcoming and familiar. We were just looking forwards to a bit of nostalgia (can you do that)?

Looking through my cupboards and shed I can still find loads of stuff we bought from Woolies including tools, stationary, electrical items. In fact at the weekend after a burrow about in the shed I found an unopened bottle of plant fertiliser with a woollies label on it. That must have been purchased at least 8 years ago, probably in the closing down sale. I also threw out a load of blank CD roms the other say as none of our machines at home have a CD/DVD drive anymore. They were from Woolies.

18. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2018

Pick n mix? :)

rpan likes this.
  19. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 24, 2018

In the Midwest, Kohl’s is still definitely in business.

20. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2018

No...they’re still here. :)

Sorry Missy, see you already responded

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2018

Marshalls, TJMaxx and Burlington have a few nice things. You have to dig around to find complete sets, and/or tops/bottoms in your size. Baby Depot has good prices, but all the stores are so junky, at least where I’ve been.

And in these stores, the lines are ridiculous. o_O

I miss buying shoes without the blarring music! Shoe Carnival doesn’t appeal to me anymore. DSW, either.

22. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2018

I guess that’s what makes me sad. Some stores were designed for certain generations, not generations to come. So as people get older, will the stores drop off or change to accommodate them??

I get the fact few of us are interested in a complete set of encylopedias. That was a product that served it’s purpose back in the day. (I was lucky enough to work for Britannica). But now I have a world of knowledge in the palm of my hand. Hello smartphone! Better than any library and computer combined. Would love to be a kid and experience technology in the classroom. It would have saved me from horrible pennmanship and long essays.:rolleyes:

But...needless to say, shopping is still an outdoor activity that I love.

Scrolling and clicking just isn’t the same as strolling and finding sales. IMO

If more stores moved to online shopping only, the movie Passengers comes to mind.

23. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 24, 2018

We have Kohl’s, Penney’s, and Macy’s.

24. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Apr 24, 2018

I don't know what Carson's is. Must be a chain we don't have in California.
    Toys R Us kind of irritated me. There was so much talk of them closing and selling all their stock. I went to my local store and the signs all said up to 30% off and to keep checking because they were bringing in new items from the warehouses all the time.
    The item I wanted was marked down a whopping 5%.

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2018

It’s a Midwestern high-end dept store. Like Macy’s. I remember being with my mom, we used to ride the elevators and the speaker said, “2nd floor- Lingerie, Women’s and Children’s Wear. As a kid, I wondered what the heck was lingerie!! :p

Kmart did the same thing. They put up 50-10% off signs, but only the beat up stuff was 10% off.