Touring Boston

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teachling, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 18, 2014

I am planning on taking a trip to Boston. I've never been to the New England area and so want to start exploring. Unfortunately, I'll be going by myself since dh can't go. I would like to do a couple of days of taking tours and then catch the weekend festivals.

I would appreciate some suggestions as to what I can do such as places, tour guides, etc. thanks!

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 18, 2014

I would suggest googling "things to do in Boston". You'll be able to read about so many things to choose from...the arts, history, science, adventure, museums, and food! One of the most enjoyable things I have done is taken the Duck Tour. I also enjoyed walking in Cambridge (Harvard Square) and the science museum.

4. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 18, 2014

5. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 18, 2014

I'm looking for input such as yours, where you offer places you think would be enjoyable.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 18, 2014

I haven't lived in Boston in forever, but I used to love going to Newbury Street to walk around. Also, if the Red Sox are in town when you're there, go to a game! If not, do a tour of Fenway. It's so neat in there. If you're interested, you can tour some of the colleges, like Harvard, MIT, BU, places like that. As far as theater, both Blue Man Group and Shear Madness perform nightly in Boston, or used to. Check and see if Berklee College of Music has any student performances.

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 18, 2014

If you enjoy beer, Harpoon Brewery offers a great tasting. Near it is Lobster Shanty which has one of the best lobster rolls (not cheap)
    I would also recommend the Concord/Lexington area for its historical value. The National Park's visitor center shows an awesome video of the American Revolution. If you're up to traveling outside of Boston, Salem is a great town to explore. The USS Constitution is also interesting to visit. You can walk the Freedom Trail (about 1 1/2 miles).
    I would think you would like to explore different venues rather than museums, theater. But if you could get to hear The Boston Pops play go and do that.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 18, 2014

I suggested the plays I did because I do not know where the OP is from, and they each have limited performances, and are really fun to do at night! Blue Man Group is in five cities and occasionally tours. Shear Madness, since closing in Chicago, is only in two cities now. The play is a little bit different each night. Then again, I am always going to recommend theater! In May, my husband and I went to New York and saw three shows in two days, and didn't do much else, so...

I forgot to mention Freedom Trail. It's awesome! Also, find the Make Way for Ducklings statue in the park!

9. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 18, 2014

There are so many hotel choices! I would like one that is close to the airport and gives me easy access to the main tourist area. Any ideas?

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 19, 2014

Boston has wonderful public transportation, and is small enough to walk most places. One time when I visited, I stayed at a hotel really near a T stop in one of the suburbs and took the T in to the city every day. Another time, I stayed in Kenmore Square, but that made more sense because I was there to visit BU and see a Red Sox game. But, it may be a little cheaper to stay out a little ways. Then again, it's been over a decade since I was there, so things may have changed.

11. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 19, 2014

When I went a few years ago, I walked the freedom trail on my own (not with a tour), did the Sam Adams brewery, ate in the North End (some of the best Italian food I've ever had..and I'm from NYC!), went to the aquarium for the day, spent a few hours at Quincy Market, and walked Newbury Street and had brunch at one of the restaurants there.

We stayed one block from the Back Bay train station which also had a commuter train station right there, and found it to be centrally located or easy enough to get to other parts of the city.

12. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2014

Yeah!!!! I LOVE Boston!

You'll definitely want to take advantage of the Boston Trolley Tours. It's not one big tour group, but instead a pass that allows you to hop on an off the trolley at your own leisure and explore the city along the way as it interests you. It stops at just about all the sites you would want to see.

I would also recommend taking one of the Boston Duck Tours. You'll learn lots of info and they are really fun. I would probably do the Duck Tour first and get an overview of the city and then use the Trolley Tour (which I believe you can do over several days) to really explore.

What is your hotel budget?

The airport is easily accessible to the city, but a bit out of the way. I would suggest flying into Logan and staying at one of the hotels further in the city.

What time of year are you visiting?

13. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 20, 2014

I'm planning on going at the beginning of Aug. As for budget, well economical as it is possible-- no more than $220 a night, though if I shorten the trip by a day or so that will cut some of the lodging costs.