Tour Ms. Jasztal's Fourth Grade Classroom- 2009-2010 School Year

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2009

Pictures of Ms. Jasztal's Completed Classroom!

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :cool:
    http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/22398057

I did not upload the photos to my website because I wanted to create an album in a few steps and not play around with PHP.

The room is not entirely done- of course I still have to put up my rules and procedures. Additionally, I left some wall space blank so my students and I can make posters/charts and place them around the classroom. The bulletin boards are also not entirely done. One will have magnetic boards on it to put up new vocabulary, and the other will have photos of my students with a magnetic backing to "vote" for Daily Data. Much more will be coming soon! :)

For a little more, if you haven't seen it yet, visit http://blogs.scholastic.com/classroom_solutions - I have two new posts today, one about organization and the other about decor. The post includes some of these photos.

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 12, 2009

Looks GREAT, Victoria!!! I bet you're bursting!

I can't WAIT to post pictures of mine Monday night. I'm about to run out for some paint so I can get moving on some furniture I've picked up.

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2009

I am so exhausted! The library looks comfortable and inviting, in my opinion. I plan on taking more photos soon after my students arrive- and perhaps some organizational photos before my students arrive in a week and a half. Thank you, Jem!

5. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

Victoria your room looks awesome! I'm almost done with mine and will post pics after I finish it. :)

Great job!

6. LinzerCastle

LinzerCastle Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

Ms. Jasztal,

Your room looks fantastic! Looking at your pictures has made me excited to get back into my classroom!

Quick question - what do you use the blue bins next to each group of student desks for? Just curious.

7. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 12, 2009

Your room looks amazing! You have a big room.

I would also like to know what you use the bins next to each group for.

I feel like my room is going to be really bare. :(

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2009

So organized and neat!! Love it!!

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2009

The blue bins next to each group hold math manipulatives in the top two drawers, and then the bottom drawer has their math books in it. We have a hands-on math program, so I store the books for reference purposes.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2009

Ms J-
    Thanks for reminding us about the Scholastic teacher pages. Your blogs there are great and it's great to put a 'face' to your 'name'. ;)

11. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Aug 12, 2009

Can I be in your class??? It looks so fun!! I love the travel/USA theme :)

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2009

I want as many to know about the Scholastic pages as much as possible because I hope all five teachers will be recognized in the way they deserve! :)

My students will have these as name tags, too- http://victorydyo.com/cgi-bin/quick...se+Plates&c=States&page=1&Back.x=100&Back.y=6 (You just save it in Preview mode after you click through to say it is correct, and then you right-click to save it. I placed all my students' names on license plate tags in Microsoft Word for now- their names can be added and deleted easily. That's probably the last thing I will do to finalize the room this year.) :)

13. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

Thanks for sharing your pics.:) I especially like the bins next to the groups of desks---never thought about that. That saves a lot of time, I'm sure!

What do you put in "Ms. Jazstal's Math Notebook" and why is it posted on the wall?

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2009

It is not on the wall- it's in a magnetic envelope with a plastic front from Lakeshore. :) The envelope is attached to the technology cart with the Elmo, etc. The math notebook has my notes in there from math class that the students copy and work from.

15. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2009

Great looking room! I have the same ABCs and I love them! I was just saying how I'm going in to do my room next week. It's time to get it back together! I know you feel good to have so much done already!

16. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2009

I love the alphabet, too, because it incorporates with my travel theme and introduces them to all kinds of places. I was shocked after laminating the whole row today (I've had it 2 years and had not laminated it) that it couldn't line up directly under the P.A./clock and move out. I didn't mind splitting it in half, though- I just didn't want to bring it up higher and waste space I was using for posting procedures/rules.

Any other questions? I have loved sharing my room with all of you so far.

17. katenar

katenar Cohort

Aug 12, 2009

The room looks great!! Thanks for sharing - I always get a kick out of looking at other teacher's rooms. My BF doesn't understand my excitement. :)

18. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 13, 2009

What a great room!
    I love that you give each group a set of drawers! What a smart idea.

You are so organized :)

19. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2009

Nice! You've done a great job and your room is fabulous.
    Love your "mail" area.

I have a queston about the bookcases. Do you have to nail it into the wall for safety reasons?

20. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 13, 2009

Love those license plates and road sign posters! Awesome!

21. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 13, 2009

Not in the past, but they overlap. If they choose to nail it, I can easily take the bins off and have them do it. :haha:

As for organization, I have to be very tidy this year because we are apparently not going to be able to come in before or after school all that much because of budget cuts- from what I have gathered. I cannot imagine leaving my room a tremendous mess and not having time to clean it up before the students arrive at school, either. It's going to be a very different kind of year this year.

22. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 13, 2009

I am curious, everyone- where would you place a small decoupage table with two electric blue wooden chairs in your room? In your library? Somewhere else? A more private, quiet area? That addition will obviously be brought to the room in the next week as well as the easel my father is building this weekend (I have probably thanked him 1,000 times so far!).

23. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 13, 2009

Wow! You're room looks fabulous!!! It is huge! I started to work on my classroom but need to have my co-teacher there too... I was trying to do it but she does not come in until the last 2 weeks and I go away next week... I guess I will have to see what she does when I am gone!

24. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2009

I would choose to put it in a private, quiet area...a real treat for those to enjoy it!
    You'll need to post a picture of the set. Your father is a real gem! :)

25. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 13, 2009

BOTH my parents are a real gem!! :) My mother stayed with me for seven days while setting up the room this year, organizing everything. As for my father... he is so busy. I cannot wait until we sit in the garage as he builds the easel and I get the table and chairs ready. I am super excited about having all that in the room next week.

I think for the table and chairs, I will have the kids transport them to a private area when they want to. Sometimes, it will remain in the library, and at other times, it'll be a real privilege. Strangely, I don't have room to do what I really want to do- put a sheer blue curtain by the table and make a canopy that extends out in a cozy nook. Yet sadly, I don't have a cozy nook- I just have the area in front of my cubbies, and the furniture cannot stay there at the very end of the day because the floors need to be waxed in the classroom over there.

I may cover my cubbies with a nice "curtain", though. That is still running through my mind, and that may slightly elude the feel.

26. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Aug 13, 2009

I love the travel/ license plates theme... very clever.

27. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 13, 2009

So easy when you have postcards! :)

I cannot wait to print out my license plate nametags as well (referred by Katenar). Any other ideas, I appreciate it! I still have yet to decorate the hallway bulletin board as well!

28. Alegre

Alegre Rookie

Aug 13, 2009

Thanks for your pics!

What a large room! I have to fit 30 students in my room and it's not nearly as large as yours.
    Being earthquake conscious, I wondered about how it was anchored, too. I would love to have tall shelves like that to be able to place all of my books, but I'd be so nervous about the shelves (or the books) toppling onto students during an earthquake. Having been through quite a few of them, it's always on my mind, wherever I go.

I always get a lot of ideas from what teachers write on their posters and charts. Would it be possible for you to post photos of the posters (Ideas) and other charts you've made. I saw something on the chart rack near the green bins that looked interesting. From what I could surmise, it had some information about reasons why a book might not be a good fit. I'd love to see the entire chart up close. (hint, hint! :whistle: )

Thanks again for sharing your room with us!

29. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 13, 2009

Since Florida doesn't have earthquakes (sorry), it doesn't cross my mind.

I will definitely post more photos in the near future of reading and writing centers, particularly next week because I am making a post about reader's and writer's workshop at Scholastic. :)

30. Alegre

Alegre Rookie

Aug 13, 2009

:hijack:
    No need to apologize, at all! My friend who lives in tornado country often asks why I live here with earthquakes, and I ask him why he lives there with tornadoes. LOL! It's just a part of who I am and where I live to be aware of things that can fall.:dizzy:

I'm looking forward to the other photos you'll be posting! Thanks for the prompt replies! (I was thinking you'd be sleeping soundly at this hour!)

P.S. I apologize for going off-topic, here...:blush:

31. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 13, 2009

I am going to be up around 7:30, so about 6 and a half hours will be good for me. :) As for where I am located, I am certainly in Hurricane Country! :)