Tough Times!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 25, 2010

Have you substitutes been getting a lot less sub jobs because all the laid off teachers are the priority for sub assignments?

How have you been affording your cost of living? Do you work for a few districts? Do you have another job altogether?

3. springmac

springmac Companion

Oct 25, 2010

My district is currently on strike, so no sub jobs right now. I work in other districts, but with the strike, my children are home. Luckily, my husband works, so it's not an issue. Starting a LTS job in a few weeks...can't wait!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  4. azure

azure Companion

Oct 25, 2010

Our district didn't lay off any teachers.

5. hac711

hac711 Companion

Oct 26, 2010

I cannot afford my standard of living. I don't turn on the heat and only go grocery shopping 2 a month now. I do not get paid enough to deal with what I deal with. I could make more money being a nanny, but the experience is good and is resume building...don't know how much more I can take though without getting another job.

6. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Oct 26, 2010

I hear ya.

With good luck I might actually exceed the federal poverty level but it will be close. Luckily I learned how to cook from scratch (and waste no food) so I'm not starving.

It's getting serious and I don't know that I'll be able to hold on until I get an internship. I've already craigslisted and ebayed everything I could convert into cash.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 26, 2010

I understand how it feels. For the 1st time in my life, I'm really cutting it close w/ paying my bills. My credit card companies are increasing their minimum monthly amts due, but I'm not subbing that much. I've got to really watch my pennies.

I'm trying to get this home-based opportunity off the ground that I signed up w/, but w/ limited money, I can only do so much to advertise. But, once it takes off, the results will be phenomenal!!!