Tough situation

Discussion in 'P.E. Teachers' started by DurangoPE, Apr 11, 2013.

1. DurangoPE

DurangoPE New Member

Apr 11, 2013

Hello all I am new to this forum and am looking for some help.

I teach High School PE at an alternative high school (students who haven't been successful at a traditional high school come to us). We have a very small building and the gym I have to work with is also the cafeteria and not that big. I have very limited equipment and the only fitness things i have are resistance bands and jump ropes.

Tuesdays and Thursdays are strictly fitness days and MWF we do games with a small fitness activity at the beginning. The problem I am running into is coming up with some way to get them to enjoy the fitness days. No matter what the lesson is I get a lot of resistance from the students. I've tried things like fitness stations, letting them plan their own fitness activity as groups, various fitness games, and having them create their own games but nothing seems to really work or get them excited.

Looking for some new fitness lessons or ideas that would be fun for the students and get them excited about fitness. Thank you for your help.

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 21, 2013

When students start whining and they see a caring 1st year teacher who is really trying to make PE fun, they often turn up their volume to their whining until they get what they want. They first might need to see that you are going to stick with a plan for awhile. Try having a plan for a month and pretend not to listen to their whines. At the end of each week, write down a few things they like and don't like. Start planning ahead for the next month to make adjustments.

To answer your original question, there might be a few things to do to "make it a bit more fun." Play energetic and popular music in the background to get them going. This can really be great in a gym. You choose the music, but pay attention to music they like. If you are at a loss, you could give them a few minutes at the end of class to write down their favorite music. It is easy these days on google to check out if the lyrics are appropriate.

High school students can also like group contests just for the fun of it. Keep the competition in check though so it doesn't go too far with trash talking etc. Good luck to you.

4. ravinraven

ravinraven Companion

Apr 26, 2013

Maybe have them design a jump rope routine to showcase to their classmates? We did that in high school and it lets them have some creativity and freedom. They can set it to (school appropriate) music, too.