Tough Economic Times & Subs

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by nycsub, Jun 18, 2009.

1. nycsub

nycsub Rookie

Jun 18, 2009

How has the tough economic times we are now going through in the USA affected your work as a sub teacher? The 2008-2009 school was not as active in terms of employment for me than previous years. What about you?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 18, 2009

I'm so blessed & thankful that the economy hasn't really affected me personally. I work for a large district & I don't even sub for general classes anymore...stopped long ago. I do RSP & speech, language & hearing only. I've been fortunate to have done numerous long-term subbing for the speech-language pathologists in the district that many times have last all school year & this last year was no exception. :)

4. nycsub

nycsub Rookie

Jun 18, 2009

yes...

Yes, you have been very blessed.

5. azure

azure Companion

Jul 8, 2009

I have been established as a sub in our district for 7 years, so even though there was in influx of new subs during the last half of the 08-09 school year, I wasn't affected much. I think some of those new ones only lasted though a couple of jobs before deciding, "This isn't for me."

6. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Jul 8, 2009

I just started subbing in March 09 and through constantly stalking AESOP was able to sub every, single school day!

7. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Jul 9, 2009

I would love if I could work in a place where you can book your own jobs! This will be the third district (and state) I have subbed in in 2.5 years. They all book jobs through a single secretary at each school. Some days you might have 5 calls, but then wait 2 weeks for another call. It takes quite awhile to get established. Once you get established, well, it gets easier. I really have not noticed an effect (affect?) from the economy except for the fact that I can't get a full time teaching job.

8. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

i subbed basically everyday at the start of this past school year. after christmas, though, i noticed that the # of jobs i found/was offered went way down. i am not sure if this is due to the lousy economy or the fact that i was 6 mos. pregnant! perhaps a little of both......

i hope if i sub. this year, the jobs are more plentiful!! :)

Meri

9. Ellen

Ellen Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

I live in New York City and depending on the month, I would get a call maybe every single day from the sub system. Also, if have been subbing in one particular school for a long time, then the school usually calls you all the time to sub at their school.

10. Fishman

Fishman Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

Good luck everyone!