Tough Day

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Beth2004, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 19, 2006

Today I had a very tough day with my class. I only have 11 students (3rd graders) and all in all they're a really good bunch so I haven't had too many problems since school started 4 weeks ago.

I do have one student, however, who's attention span appears to be nonexistent! He is constantly doing everything but what he is supposed to (sharpening pencils, playing with ruler, playing with erasers, drawing, etc...) and it's to the point that he only has one pencil and his books in his desk because EVERYTHING distracts him. I have to give instructions to him one at a time (cannot follow multi-step directions) and I need to repeat myself more times than I can count. Whenever we're going over an assignment or correcting our papers as a class, he is lost and has no clue where we are. This has been going on since the first day of school and I have expressed my concerns to the mother, but she says that he's just forgetful.

The thing about this boy is, though, that he does very well academically. He does not appear to be struggling in any of the subjects. Most of his grades on assignments are 100% but it's a struggle getting him to focus and get the work done. I spoke with the principal about him since he is new to the school and she told me that based on his grades from last year, when he was enrolled this summer they decided to keep him back in 3rd grade. So now I'm realizing that this child may just be bored.

At first the whole situation was a little frustrating, but it's obvious that there's a problem there so I really don't blame the child. Now it's a little more aggravating though because he's distracting the other children around him by joking around and laughing with them while they're trying to work and they're feeding into his silliness. It's to the point where I feel like if I don't do something drastic I may lose control of all 11 of them!

Sorry this post is so long. I just really needed to vent. Any suggestions anyone has, though would be greatly appreciated!

3. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Sep 19, 2006

Beth,

Have you thought about putting him on a "behavior contract". Have certain desired behaviors listed. Require him to get a certain number of tally marks or stickers where he is doing the desired behaviors (I would limit it to 2 or 3 maximum) and then if he is able to do this then offer him some sort of reward (treasure box, piece of candy, "brag trip" to the principal's office). I had one last year (in my group of 25 second graders) that I had to do this with. We targeted 3 behaviors at a time, when he consistently achieved those behaviors for a 4 week period we targeted three new behaviors (he had plenty to choose from).

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 19, 2006

That's a good idea. I may try something like that. I have a reward system right now using tickets so I could incorporate that into it.

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 19, 2006

If he earns a reward the whole class gets a reward. Wow! The whole class will be on your side helping him be good and earning a reward. Cookie, fish crackers, 3 or 4 M&Ms, Candy Kiss, (earn stickers for a popcorn party) Five minute longer recess,