Tough Day

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by MzMooreTeaches, Oct 4, 2010.

1. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Oct 4, 2010

Today was one of those days that you want to rewind and see where it all went wrong!

My montessori instructor came to observe me today... and was a very peaceful comforting presence to have. She rearranged my math shelves, helped out in language and rerolled all my rugs. She assured me that I was only 36hrs into my training and that it will get better. :love:

One of my students completely through me out of character with a comment that he made to another student, refused going to the peace table with several students... but he completely was engrossed with picture story writing for about 30minutes... despite it was a string of letters... but he got the point of the consonant sounds. I felt somewhat defeated today... I dont like calling parents to deliver negative news.. especially to a parent who child was a victim of the other childs words. He really puzzles me, at times he can be very hurtful towards other friends and then at another time he is showing them how to walk in the hall, or the words to use at the peace table... I want to help him find peace... but the path towards it for him is full of twist and turns..

I came back from training and was completely rejuvinated... learned some new songs and lessons and was ready... and then those hurtful words came out

Geez... normalcy.. I see a glimpse of it at times..and then it slips through my fingers again.

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2010

You'll get there, you really will. I have a few boys like that in my space too. It's really important to be firm and consistent with the ground rules and they'll get there.

Sometimes with children like that I have them sit with me. It's their responsibility to be with me all of the time, and they have to follow me. If they don't, then the next consequence is being at a table alone with no one around. The message I give them is that it's their job to make sure people are safe. If they're not safe around him, then he can't be around other children.

If he can't internalize it yet, we have to make it external for him while he's in the process of internalizing it. Plus, we have to protect the other children from those hurtful words and make sure they're modeling respect and kindness for each other.

Hang in there.....you'll get it. I promise. :)

4. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Oct 5, 2010

Very interesting that you said that. This morning when he came to school he was a completely different kid. Very nurturing to that same child he said such harsh words to the day before.... nurturing to the point that he wiped his tears... but earlier he has made the child so upset that he threw his glasses and hid... BOYS.

But yes today I started off with him being my shadow and tomorrow he will be my shadow again... unless he can get himself under control with kind words... and I'm going to use that exact phrasing. Unless he can use kind words he will not be able to go around his friends. So I'm sure it will be a bit different.

Good advice!

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2010

How's it going now?

6. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Oct 20, 2010

Hey Tracy,

i havent logged in a while. There are good days and better days. We have recently gotten 2 new computers in our class. And although I like to have natural consequences I told him that if he does not complete his work I will not allow him to get on the computer or do a puzzle he really enjoys doing until he completes at least 1 math and 1 language work first.

He likes to knock over his chair and let his work fall on the floor and say that he did not see it... go figure. Today when he started up with the pouting and not wanting to finish his work I spoke with him about all the things that he enjoys doing in class. That I want him to be able to do those things, but if he cannot do his work what will happen. His response " a consequence." So we walked around and I let him know all the things that would slowly get taken away. So think about your choices and try to do the right thing. He eventually just end up crying through his writing assessment and wrote a big X on it.

Now my other 14 did great today... but of course I had lots of work lined up for them to do... not much down time.