Tough Day

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by WhatchaDoin?, Feb 19, 2010.

1. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Feb 19, 2010

Have you had a tough subbing day, when you know you could have done better, but you're not really sure how?:dizzy::(

I just had a very tough half day in a special education classroom. I only needed to work with two children at a time, but I still didn't get that right. The teacher had said, to take the kids back to their classrooms if there was trouble, but I couldn't bear to admit that I couldn't handle the situation. This was also the one-on-one assistants' lunch breaks.

We remained together during the whole class period, but it was by no means smooth. They were supposed to play a game, but, instead I played legos with one child, while the other paced, repeated phrases, and closed the door. I'm hoping we didn't lose too many pieces to the game. A couple teachers tried to help, but I think I had lost control, and it kept spiralling. I think I was told to F@*< off, but I'm not sure....:dizzy:

The student was brought back to apologize, after visiting with the VP. I just feel like I could have done a better job.

Any pointers....please?:(

3. CD1980

CD1980 Rookie

Feb 19, 2010

It sounds like these were some kids with severe special needs. As long as you kept everyone safe, I think you did all that could be reasonably expected of you.

We all have tough days. I think one of the most frustrating things about substitute teaching is that we often don't get another chance to try something new or do things differently with a class (or at least not for a while). So we're stuck with our regrets thinking "I could have done better. I wish I could try again." but we don't get the opportunity.

4. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2010

It sounds like they left you all alone with kids who are very low functioning. As long as the kids were safe and no one got hurt, I'm sure everything's fine. I doubt anyone expected you to perform miracles.

My only advice would be to have taken the teacher's advice and send the kids to the other rooms if things got tough. She was probably telling you how to avoid the downward spiral you experienced. If a situation escalates with lower functioning kids, someone might end up hurt (even you). It's not a pride issue (that you can't handle the kids). It's a safety issue (shows you're smart enough to know what's best for the kids by following the teacher's instructions).

5. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 22, 2010

There should have been another aide helping you out. Especially since you are a sub and the kids are brand new to you. I am sure the teachers/aides understand that you were doing your best, and would not put this against you.