Touchy feely kids

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TemperanceFaith, Dec 16, 2008.

1. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Dec 16, 2008

How do you handle a student that is a very touchy feely type?

I am always happy to give hugs, but this student lingers a bit too much and almost makes me feel uncomfortable. I do not know how to describe it. I understand some students are more tactile than others, and for some, the hug they get at school might be the only they get. But this student always seems to be wanting to either hold my hand, or touch me when I walk by, etc. I had to sort of push her away today. I do not know how to bring it up without hurting her feelings, but I just do not feel like she has an understanding of personal space, though she is not like that with her classmates at all.

How do you handle something like this without hurting the student's feelings?

3. catsos2

catsos2 Companion

Dec 16, 2008

She's probably doing it because she gets positive attention from you each time. I would just stop giving her the positive response. You could ignore the behavior and see if it decreases. It probably will; clearly she's getting something out of it if she's only hanging on you and not on the other kids. Start by not returning her physical response - take your hand away, don't hug back, etc.
    If that doesn't work you could just talk to her about respecting people and how that also means respecting people's personal space.

4. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Dec 16, 2008

That is what I started doing today; whenever I noticed her getting into that mode, I walked away or started working with another student.

5. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Dec 16, 2008

Oh man, I thought this was a post of mine awhile back, because I have the exact same thing. I even had one student give me a bear hug in the hallway and then pick me up!

I would keep doing what you're doing. Talk to another student when the hugger comes up to you or find something else to work on.

6. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Dec 16, 2008

I tell students like this that they need to ask for a handshake, hug, etc.

When they do, I either give them one or tell them something like, "I'd love to when I'm finished _____."

For lingering huggers, I let them in on the 'secret' that people sometimes signal the end of hugs by giving and extra squeeze. We practice a few times and then I expect that when I give that squeeze, they let go right away.

I also let them know that I can only give them more hugs if they are appropriate with them. If they don't let go when I give the 'signal', if they don't ask, they I let them know there are no hugs for ____ time.