Touchpoint math

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by macteach, Feb 19, 2011.

1. macteach

macteach Rookie

Feb 19, 2011

How do you feel about Touchpoint math? I have a student that is really struggling with her basic math facts. I have tried teaching all the strategies. I provide time during the day for fact practice work. She is a slow processor at times, and a colleague suggested touchpoint math. Any advice would be appreciated.:help:

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2011

How old is the student?

Touchpoint math works well for younger students but as the students get older it is difficult to motivate them to use it unless there are other delays. My sixth graders feel they are too cool for the program.

4. macteach

macteach Rookie

Feb 19, 2011

She is a second grader.

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Feb 19, 2011

Last year I just taught the touch points to my low kids.

This year, I taught it to everyone at the beginning of the year.
    We made a poster together with the points for each number and for coins (touch money).

About 1/4 of my kids really like it. We talked about how it is one of the many tools in our toolbox - if it makes sense for you, great. If not, try something else.

(and the touch money is GREAT - over half my kids really used it at first until they got comfortable with coins)

6. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 19, 2011

We used it for a few years in my school and I know the kindergarten and 1st grade teachers really liked. However we are no longer allowed to use the program but if I could I would!

7. math1abee

math1abee Companion

Feb 19, 2011

We use Touch Point math in 1st grade. Its one of the many strategies we teach students to use to help them count, add, subtract etc. Some students use it others don't. It seems to really help the ones that do though. I don't see any drawbacks to using it with a 2nd grader who is having a tough time though.

8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2011

I would just try it and see how it works. I think it really depends on the student- some will pick it up quickly and use it, and some won't. I'm in special ed so I try this with a lot of my students. The goal (at least imo) is to get them to do the touch points correctly without using a touch math strip (since they wont be allowed to use it on a test, and if they can do it without the strip it wouldnt set them apart from the other students as no one would realize they were doing it). So once they practice it enough with the strip that shows where the dots are, they can either use visual or muscle memory to use the dots on a regular math worksheet (if that makes sense?). So they would see 4 + 5 written normally (without the dots) and would be able to touch where the dots go with their pencil because they either remember visually where they are or use mucle memory to remember where they are. So depending on what kind learner they are, some kids will do this easily and some will not like it.

We do 2 minute addition probes for progress monitoring, and I had a 1st grader who was getting about 2-4 digits correct. I taught him the touch math and he picked it up RIGHT away. Two weeks later he was getting 25-30 digits correct (from memory, without using the touch math strip). I have a 2nd grader who I tried to teach the strategy to, but she kept forgetting where the dots went and would get problems wrong every time because she would think a 1 had 2 dots or that a 2 had 3 dots. So I stopped using the program with her and we are now instead using the counting up strategy. Either way, it's worth a shot to see if it works. I'd give the student at least a few weeks to get used to it before making a decision.