Touch Math

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by tshame1, Apr 20, 2009.

1. tshame1

tshame1 Rookie

Apr 20, 2009

Hello all,
    I was looking for some advice.... I am currently doing a maternity leave in a kindergarten room. We are working basic addition to just become familiar with it. The school uses touch point math and they begin heavily with it in 1st grade. So i am just introducing it to my class. I would like to do maybe an activity with it. Right now the students just learned the numbers and what they look like with the cooresponding dots. I dont want to go too heavy into it since they will be doing it later but i would like to do an activity or game with it. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas that have worked for them.
    Thanks so much

3. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Apr 20, 2009

I know as a first grade teacher, I'd love for the students to be introduced to it in depth. They always "lose" some over the summer break.

You can make it more fun by using an addition paper that they have to color?

Addition dominos with the touch points. A number sentence on one side and you have to match it with a sum or an equilvalent number sentence. (Might be too difficult for most of your kids)

Matching or concentration game. Have cards with just the shape of where the dots belong, and other cards with the numbers. The students either have to match the two types of cards or can play a concentration game where they have to match the dot pattern with the number.

I always teach a lot of second grade material for the students that are ready for it. I don't think that it would hurt to teach the first grade material as long as they are ready for it and they don't need to master other kindergarten skills before the end of the year..

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2009

:hijack: I like the idea of touch math, but it also drives me crazy!! Touch math is a great strategy for kids who cannot learn their addition facts. However, it is not a tool for all students to be using. Its used so much and then the kids rely on it and when they come to me in 3rd grade they STILL rely on touch math and don't know their math facts. It drives me crazy. Sorry but I had to vent... :)

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 20, 2009

I learned with touch math 40 plus years ago. I still will use it when my brain is fried and I don't want to think. It is a crutch, but I can see its use for LD math students.

6. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Apr 20, 2009

I also only use it for my struggling students. I teach the students different strategies and let them choose what works best for them. Drawing pictures, using tally marks, manipulatives ( I only encourage when learning because they can't use it on a test), fingers, rounding to the nearest number, then adding on. Sums of ten, doubles, doubles plus one etc.

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 20, 2009

tshame,
    I know a sped teacher who uses M&Ms and has the kids show all the numbers 1 - 9 with M&Ms. Other than that, you may not get a lot of response. The Touch Math system has many games, activities, and worksheets, but they all have to be purchased from the manufacturer. I'd check at your school and see what they have available.

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2009

My school teaches it to all of the first graders, and thats what drives me crazy. When its used as an intervention, it is quite successful, but I hate when teachers use it for all of their kids when many don't need it.

9. becky

becky Enthusiast

Apr 21, 2009

Some homeschool families dislike this curriculum for the same reasons listed here. That, and the cost.

10. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Apr 24, 2009

I'm a 1st grade teacher and for a couple years our grade level used Touch Math w/ our whole class. We really liked it, but then after a few years we realized that it did seem to hinder them as they got older and they should eventually have their facts memorized. We went back to using it as a an intervention resource.

11. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Apr 24, 2009

I can't give you any pointers, but I learned touchpoint math in elementary school, and I still use it today. Is that bad? :wub:

12. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Apr 24, 2009

Hee, hee! After learning the touch math system from teaching it, I also started using it when I was adding multiple numbers! :blush:

13. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Apr 25, 2009

4alicat - I'm glad that I'm not alone! I did it with my 4th graders, out of habit, and they looked at me like I was CRAZY. :)