Touch Math

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Chokita, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Feb 24, 2009

Are you using Touchmath with your students? Do they understand it? How fast do they get it? What about low-functioning students? I have a couple of severe kids with autism in my class, I was wondering if Touchmath would work for them.. :confused:

3. special_teacher

special_teacher Rookie

Feb 25, 2009

I have used it with higher functioning autistic students and it worked VERY well. It made it more concrete for them, which is essential for that population. It is harder for kids who are lower cognitively because they will often forget how to write the number or count the touch points, but it's still helpful for some. I think in general, kids catch on to the method very quickly, and once they know how to count the numbers, they can do a lot more math than they/you ever thought they would.

4. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Feb 25, 2009

I'm not a big fan of touch math. I think it creates problems further down the road with addition and subtraction facts. Sometimes memorization is useful, although for a while there, it was a taboo!

5. Sillybowtie

Sillybowtie Rookie

Mar 11, 2009

I am using it for a student who is learning number recognition. I am having trouble with 6 and higher because you have 2 dots in one area and he just does not get you have to touch it 2 time or he will touch it twice and start back over with one on the second dot.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 11, 2009

I have used it with students with mild autism and love it! If your students are unable to count or recognize numbers, I don't think it would be the type of program that you are looking for.