touch math

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by SBP0429, Dec 2, 2011.

1. SBP0429

SBP0429 Rookie

Dec 2, 2011

Have any of you used touch math for teaching number identification? And if so, have you found it to be helpful? I think it confuses my students - especially the numbers 6-9. What do you think?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2011

6-9 can definitely be confusing for students who don't have number identification down. 6-9 is confusing often for students who do have number identification down.

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 2, 2011

I used it and liked it. We use a new program now and not allowed to use touch math

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 2, 2011

I love touch math! I don't use it for number id though- I wouldn't introduce it until the students know their numbers, then I would use it for adding/subtracting. For my kids that can "get it", it will literally change their math life, haha. They make tons of progress very quickly and never really struggle with basic computation again. However, one intervention isn't going to work for every kid. I do have some kids that just couldn't pick it up, even after 6 weeks of instruction with it. I've had to use other strategies with them. It's so valuable for the kids that do pick it up well that I basically try it with anyone who struggles with computation to see if it will help them. Then I try something else if that doesn't work. I don't know if this is typical or not, but speaking of my specific students out of the 10-12 that I saw for compuation struggles last year, I only had 2 that just couldn't learn touch math.