Totally off topic but I am so upset!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by trayums, Dec 19, 2008.

1. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2008

I found out this morning that my debit card was stolen and that someone has been charging up a storm with it. The worst part is that most of the places this lovely person has charged are stores RIGHT on my own street. RIGHT next to me. What ever happened to checking someone's ID!!!!!!!!!! I feel so... violated!!! Anyway just needed to vent. Sorry! Happy Holiday right?:spitwater:

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 19, 2008

Does the debit work like the credit cards? You are only responsible for what charges you make? Talk to your bank and maybe you can recover some of it.

Sorry this happened. That is really awful. I would call the stores and ask about why the ID was not checked, put them on the spot!

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2008

Yep- I did talk to my bank and they have cancelled my card and put the money in my account again... I called both WalMart and Marshalls where they spent the most money and told them that they should check people's ids and they didn't really even want to hear it. Just made me so upset to know that there are people out there who have my info etc. ugh... This person bought something at the Dunkin Donuts down the street this morning and I was there to get coffee less than 2 hours after the person was there. Darn wish I nabbed him or her... I believe that this person will get their comeuppens (spelling)... Or atleast I hope so!!! UGH

5. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2008

When was the last time someone asked YOU for ID when you used a card? They just don't do it anymore.

I am so sorry this has happened to you, and what a terrible time of year for it to occur. If your bank card is a Visa or MasterCard you should only be responsible for the first $50. Call you bank ASAP. Call the 800 number -- don't wait for the bank to open.

Good luck!!!

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 19, 2008

That's just awful. I always thank the places that do check an i.d.

7. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Dec 19, 2008

Ugh, that stinks! I hope they figure out WHO did it and sock it to em!

8. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Dec 19, 2008

When I was working at my aunt's store I would often have customers that had put on their card, PLEASE CHECK ID, and even then when I did they would sometimes say that not many people did even with that written on their.

9. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 19, 2008

I am always getting asked for ID, even in a town where most people recognize my face. I would think at this time of year they would be more careful. Glad you are not going to have to eat it!!!

Yes, the person will get his/her "comeuppance!" Also stated: What goes around comes around and you reap what you sow! It is a law of the universe. Have you any idea how/when they got their hands on your card??

AT our school we have too much trust that nobody will steal. All of us leave our purses out all day long and most of us don't lock our doors when we leave - I do!

10. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2008

Yah- I know. I have SEE ID written on the back of my card but the people at my bank were telling me that people will take the card number and make their own card with a different name on it somehow. I don't get it... I have been calling the places this person spent my money and have been telling them that my card or number was used and I was disappointed that they don't ask for ID and I would really love to shop at places that are safe etc. They really don't seem to care all that much...
    BLAH!
    Anyway- the bank is refunding me all of the money which is really great. It's just that feeling of violation at this point. Shopping with my money right here on my street. Where I shop and where I was this morning. YUCK!!!!
    The last time I had my card was Wednesday morning and Wednesday night the spending spree began apparently. I thought nothing of where my card was because it's always in the same place in my wallet and I don't use it all that often so I just didn't even think to check to see if it was there. The only time I can remember leaving my purse was when I was at recess duty on Wednesday, but they charges wouldn't make too much sense if someone at school would have stolen it. I'm thinking I dropped it somehow.
    Anyway- thanks for listening everyone! I appreciate it so much.

11. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2008

Oh man- me too but I bet this person will get off scott free. :(

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 19, 2008

Yikes! I can't even remember the last time my ID was checked. No one even asks to see the back of my card to make sure the signatures match. I used to not sign my cards, so they would HAVE to check my ID, but then the post office wouldn't even let me use it because they require that cards be signed to be used.

So ridiculous! And scary!

13. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Dec 19, 2008

I have signed my cards and written SEE PHOTO ID on them. I also thank the employee when they ask to see my ID. It doesn't happen often enough though. I'm sorry this happened to you.

On a similar note, I would suggest that you never use a debit card online. If your number gets stolen online, your entire checking account can get cleaned out. This happened to my brother and he didn't have money to pay his bills on time. It can take a little while for the bank to cover the amount that was taken from your account.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 19, 2008

I have had my credit card number stolen and used online. I got 2fraudulent charges and called the companies to tell them. They got rid of the charges for me and I cancelled the card. A few weeks ago I lost one of my credit cards. I must have dropped it on the way out of a store. I noticed it was missing and called to cancel it immediately. That night, a guy called my house and said he found my card and would mail it to me if i wanted. He must have looked up my phone number in the phone book. Nice of him to offer to return it but I'm glad i cancelled it just in case!

15. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 19, 2008

I don't think most people who work in retail really care whether or not it's really your card - they want the sale.

I'm sorry that this happened to you, especially when you are now probably looking at everyone you pass in your neighborhood as possible culprits.

16. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2008

Ugh exactly! I will regain my faith in humanity-- I will regain my faith in humanity-- I will regain in my faith in humanity!!!

17. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2008

TRAYUMS,
    Your bank is right. It happened to my husband's debit/bank card. Someone in Mexico was using his number on a card that they made, with their name on it. They were shopping up a storm with $300+ worth of goods and other stuff. When the Credit card people people called, they asked my husband IF he visited Mexico and if he purchased the stuff at diff stores there. He was like, "Never been to Mexico!" I told him that he needs to stop flashing his card at the FAST FOOD joints, and leaving his receipts. He needs to ask for his receipts. He gets "card-flash happy":D way too much at these places, for $3.00 or $4-$5 and leaves his receipts, when he can just get $20 cash, at the bank for these coffee stops and fast food urges.
    Anyway, it's sad how the crooks can get us all.
    Good luck on your pursue for finding out who did this to you.
    Rebel1

18. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2008

Thanks Rebe1. Yes you are right. I am going to be using more cash and less debit card from now on. YIKES-- The same type of thing that happened to your husband happened to a friend of mine at work. They stole her social number and started a new credit card and went to mexico and started spending up a storm. The CC company called her and asked about the charges and she said the same thing..."Umm... I've never been to Mexico." I feel lucky that my bank is really being so wonderful and has already credited my account and canceled the card etc. Just a major inconvenience...
    Thanks again all for your support.

19. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2008

Actually, it is all major credit card companies' policy to not allow merchants to ask for an ID. They can not refuse a sale for not doing so. So, please don't be angry at the store. Be angry at Visa (or whomever).

Sorry it happened to you!

20. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2008

My sister, the family lawyer :lol:, said that if it does say, See ID on the back, then they are required to do so... UGH!

21. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2008

I'm not angry at the stores, I just called them to tell them to be on the look out and to be aware that this happened. I think they needed to know... Angry no... upset... yes....:dizzy:

22. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2008

I've been hearing so much of this happening lately that yesterday, I just went straight to the bank to withdraw the cash I would need for the rest of my holiday shopping. To be honest, I'd rather risk carrying around a few hundred dollars worth of cash than have someone clean out my bank account. Plus, I think I'll spend less if I start leaving my debit card at home. Wish me luck!! It will take a lot of discipline on my part. I just don't trust anyone with my card anymore. All they have to do is take a cellphone camera picture of both sides and they can charge away online and on the phone. Scary. Do you know how FAST someone can snap two pictures without you even seeing it happen? My fraud division for my bank calls me to verify purchases even when I buy gas or groceries out of town. They can see from my purchasing pattern that I never hardly go out of the city. Still, that doesn't protect me for usual stuff in town. That's why thieves use the card in town. Attracts less attention to them.

23. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Dec 20, 2008

I hate when I'm asked for ID. It's just an annoyance. My credit cards aren't even signed and they won't ask for ID which is fine for me. All about convience.

24. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 20, 2008

I had my debit card number stolen a while back and lost a lot. Since then I've been asked once for id. WalMart periodically will ask, but it says on the back "See photo id". That one time she didn't even look at the card (the new one has never been touched by a WalMart employee). I showed her my driver's license and she looked at the picture and said ok. I asked if she needed to see the card to make sure the name or signature matched and she said no. I actually went to the service desk about it because it really bothered me. I know it didn't do any good, but at least I told them.
    When you use your debit card do you use as a credit or debit card? My bank has told me to always use it as credit. With debit charges all they get is the time, place, and amount. With credit they get detailed information. That's why we were able to track so much easier what happened with mine.
    Oh, and my friend's daughter is a cashier at WalMart and she was told in her training if the register told her to check id and she let the sale go through, she was responsible for the sale if it was a stolen id. I don't know that they could actually hold her to that, but it made her much more cautious.

25. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 20, 2008

Sorry that happened, it is so violating~

26. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Dec 20, 2008

It is the credit cards' policy not to check ID's. There are always pros and cons to signatures vs photo id. Also, by not signing the card or putting "CID" on it, the card is technically void and you *could* lose your fraud protection. There is is just no easy fix for this type of thing.

27. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2008

We had our debit card stolen by my neighbor's son. They delivered new debit cards to the wrong mailbox and the son used it online to make several major purchases over a 3 day period. I did not notice anything until my bills started to bounce. We figured out who it was thanks to some detective work and my neighbor paid for everything to keep his son out of trouble. What did end up as the problem was that I could not write a check anywhere for several months because my check rating was so bad and I did not have a police report because we agreed not to press charges if my neighbor paid for all our expenses.

28. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Dec 20, 2008

I live in the LA area and couldn't look more Kindergarten teacher-esque and innocent if I tried. Yet I ALWAYS am asked for my ID, everywhere. Guess it depends on where you live!

29. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2008

In Louisiana, no one ever asks for an ID for anything. My daughter has already taken a check of mine and gotten somewhere and realized that I had not signed it and signed my name to the check in front of the clerk and showed her ID with a different name and was not questioned about anything!

30. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 21, 2008

Actually, both my bank and credit card company suggested writing "photo id required" on the card.

31. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Dec 21, 2008

Credit cards say, "Not valid unless signed." Credit card policy states the card has to be signed and signatures compared at stores. Whether that is the way it should be is not the point. But the credit card companies' own policies state otherwise.

32. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 21, 2008

I'm not trying to argue the point that cards say that at all. I'm simply telling you that my credit card and my bank both made the suggestion to me that I write that statement instead of actually signing. If they are willing to tell me that, then I'm willing to do that.
    I had a clerk in Burke's ask for my id yesterday. She apologized over and over and stated it was store policy. I thanked her and told her I wished every store I went to would check my id.

33. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 21, 2008

I have noticed VERY few store cashiers even LOOK at the back of the card to compare signatures. I gave my Home Depot card to my husband to use and they didn't even notice there was a woman's name on the card!

34. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2008

Credit cards do not have to be signed. They can use your license signature to compare to the signature on the receipt. They are just supposed to have a signature to compare to your signature on the receipt. My banker told me this. The problem is that with the machines the way they are now most cashiers do not ever see the credit card and even when reminded by the register, they do not check your ID.

35. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Dec 21, 2008

I have read the credit card policy (long story on that one...). Cards are supposed to be signed. Without a signature, the card is technically void. I read somewhere (and no, I don't have a link) where someone's card had CID, was stolen, and the credit card company wouldn't pay on it. I believe someone found it and turned it into the company.

No id is necessary or even encouraged by the credit card companies. Some misinformed reps say otherwise, but it is in black and white if someone cares enough to look it up. Even in a case of suspected fraud, the policy does not dictate requiring an id. They are supposed to call for a "code 10 authorization." It says that merchants may "ask" for an id, but it cannot be conditional for a sale. They even take complaints and can fine a company for doing so.

Again, I'm not saying that is the best way to do things. It is just what the policy dictates now. I really don't care if someone puts CID on their card. But as someone else mentioned, some companies, like USPS, will require an actual signature. However, I do firmly believe that it is unwise to leave it completely blank. A thief can sign your name and if signatures are compared, they will match.

Not trying to argue...just stating what I know to be true. Don't flame me!

36. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

37. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2008

I've heard of people who didn't have them signed, the cashier pointed it out, and then handed them a pen to sign it right then! How did they know that that was the right person!?!?!?!

38. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Dec 21, 2008

That is supposed to be the *only* exception to requiring ID.

39. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Dec 21, 2008

Some stores I've been to ask to see your ID even if your card is signed. I just think it's good practice these days.

A couple weeks ago someone got a hold of my sister's debit card number and charged an airline ticket on it. Figuring that the person had to use their own name to buy the ticket, my sister called the airline company and they gave her the girl's name and phone number. How dumb is that? My sister has yet to go to the cops but I hope she does because who knows how this girl (on the other side of the country) got her number and who else's cards she's been using to buy stuff.

40. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Dec 21, 2008

An ID wouldn't have prevented her purchasing that ticket (probably online), unfortunately.

41. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 21, 2008

No flaming involved! :) I'm just like you - just stating what I know. The inconsistencies of some of all of this really bother me.