Total newbie cannot decide what ed program to pursue- pls advise

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jessycka, Oct 24, 2015.

1. jessycka

jessycka Guest

Oct 24, 2015

Hi all, I am new to the forum. I'm a 30 year old woman in California. I have wanted to teach for a while, but because I didn't get my degree in education (I got my bachelors in fine art with an emphasis on design), I was hesitant to dive back into school. Now I am fairly certain I'd like to work as a teacher. I struggle as a freelance artist and I want to see if a more structured environment is right for me. I want to make an impact on people in a way that studio art is not doing right now. I want to be around people, not holed up in the studio all day. I don't see myself quitting art permanently, but would like to pursue teaching and art simultaneously. I love kids, I love observing them and seeing them grow. As an artist I am inspired by how children see the world.

I want your help, if possible, because there are too many options out there for me, and I can't decide which program to pursue!

I am very interested in child development. I have lots of experience working with people with disabilities and I could see myself working with a similar population. But I am definitely not sure what grade or age level I would like to teach. I am interested in alternative models such as Waldorf or Montessori, but open to many possibilities.

So here are the limitations I am dealing with:

-I do not have a bachelors in education.
    -I want a degree or certification program that is as short as possible. I cannot spend another four years in college. A program two years or under is desirable.
    -I want a degree or certification program that is as inexpensive as possible (don't we all?) because I already have loans I am paying off.
    -I am located in California and I would prefer not to move.

Working to my advantage, I have creative and art experience that would contribute working with students. I live in a low-income neighborhood and I am comfortable communicating with and working with diverse populations. I am a hard worker and once I set my mind on something, I do not give up.

I hope this makes sense to you. Do you have any recommendations? Any and all help would be very appreciated! Thanks!

3. Rox

Rox Cohort

Oct 24, 2015

You are in luck because California only requires a BA (in any field) and a credential to teach. You will need to decide if you want to teach elementary (multiple subjects), secondary (single subject) or special education. Look at the CTC website to see your requirements:
    http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/teach.html

I went to CSUN, which was cheap compared to other universities in the state. You can get your credential in three semesters. Check out their requirements:
    http://www.csun.edu/eisner-education/elementary-education/traditional-program-pathway

I imagine other universities would have similar courses. You can also look into doing an internship path to get the credential. This would mean you would be hired to teach, and you would complete your courses over two years. The hard part would be getting hired, but I have one friend who got hers this way.

Best of luck!

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 25, 2015

I'll elaborate a bit on Rox's answer. Most California universities don't even offer an undergraduate education major; instead, the typical teaching credential program is post-BA. In other words, for California, you're normal.

Most Cal State University campuses, like CSU Northridge and San Diego State, offer full-time credential programs that run three semesters or the equivalent. Go to the local CSU school of education's Web site, and you'll almost certainly find mentioned an office staffed by real live people that provides guidance to prospective credential candidates. The local county office of education can also be helpful.

5. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Oct 25, 2015

A good way to choose what age group you would prefer is to spend time volunteering with various age groups in organizations such as after school tutoring, sports, scouting, etc. Some children's organizations are multi-aged, so in that type of setting, you could be working with all ages at the same place. If your interest is in child development, perhaps any age group that you begin studying you will find enriching, because each age group has its own special developmental characteristics.

6. melnm

melnm Companion

Oct 25, 2015

Have you thought about being an art teacher or teaching art classes privately?

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2015

Teaching shouldn't be about exploring if it's right for you. But more about how you Are able to meet student needs and facilitate learning. Take a bit of time and volunteering school/ enrichment programs to explore whether teaching is a fit

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015