Tornado thread?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by iheart5thgrade, May 1, 2011.

1. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

May 1, 2011

As an Alabamian who just got power restored since Wednesday, I got on here expecting to see a thread about the tornadoes that have wrecked the South. Have I just missed it? I expected there to be many discussions about it already, but haven't seen any? That shocks me. (Perhaps I have just missed it? There have been a BUNCH of posts since I last had electricity and Internet.)

Please keep all those affected in your prayers. The tornado missed my town by just a few miles, so I am counting my blessings while praying continually for others who are enduring severe trials. What about other people on here from the South? Are you and your families okay?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

Sending you and your community good wishes and prayers.:hugs:

4. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

May 1, 2011

Sorry, I meant to place this in Teacher Time Out and not General Education.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 1, 2011

It's moved, iheart5thgrade, and hugs.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

Glad to hear that you are okay.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 1, 2011

Glad to hear you are ok. My brother's best friend is in Alabama working as a lineman restoring power right now!

Everyone down there has been in my thoughts.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

Glad that you are ok. I know there were several neighborhoods leveled by the storms. Texas got hit by the same storm.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 1, 2011

My niece mentioned something in FB but I didn't realize it was that bad until just now. I'm out of the loop.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 1, 2011

It is horrible. I'm glad you're safe. The past two weeks have been filled with near constant storms, flooding, and tornado warnings for us. Thankfully, we faced little damage compared to our neighbors farther south.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

Unfortunately, I think the tornado got lost in the royal wedding hoopla.:( sad. Would be nice if we paid as much attention to emergencies 'at home'...certainly not as glamorous, but help is needed!:love:

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 1, 2011

Absolutely! Good point!

13. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

May 1, 2011

I'm from Alabama and know many who barely escaped. We warned our family/friends through facebook to take cover. Facebook comes in handy. I was also surprised to not see a thread,

I'm glad you're okay. Hundreds dead, hundreds more missing...
    And yes according to some people news stations covered the royal wedding so they couldn't find any tornado coverage due to that coverage.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 1, 2011

My respect for Brian Williams went up even higher when I heard that as soon as he landed in London, he came right back home to report on the tornado.

I agree, the news of the tornado did get lost in the royal wedding. I actually DID wonder why there were no threads on the tornado, even coming here to see what was said. When I didn't see it, I did follow the royal wedding thread and then went off to do stuff. :( I feel bad now...

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 1, 2011

I heart Brian Williams. I think he's the best in the news today.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 1, 2011

And he's super cute! :D:lol::whistle:

17. smalltowngal

May 2, 2011

There were a couple of people from the DFW area that were killed due to the tornado. They were students at the Univ of Alabama. There are a ton of people from our area that have gone to Alabama to help in the clean up.

18. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 2, 2011

Terrible tragedy... :(

"Back in the days" I recruited at least once a year on the U. of Alabama campus in Tuscaloosa. I have many close friends in Alabama .... and across the South.

19. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 2, 2011

We Oklahomans totally understand about tornados. We have you in our thoughts and prayers. I can't believe how high the death toll has climbed. It is so sad.

20. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 2, 2011

Who do people recommend to donate to? I hear mixed msgs about Red Cross but that's always my instincts.

21. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

May 2, 2011

I would assume Red Cross. Most people around here are donating through their churches, but I know most of you are probably too far away to donate through a local church.

22. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 2, 2011

I heard about a Facebook page that someone started where people can upload photographs they have found, or pics of documents that drifted away. They are trying to return as many pieces of memorabilia as possible. So far, they have more than 500 pictures, including an ultrasound pic and countless baby pictures.

I feel bad, but I've been somewhat off the grid lately. What happened? Were these just abnormally brutal storms? No warning? Are tornado shelters widely used in Alabama?

Forgive my ignorance. I just wondered why the death toll was so frighteningly high.

23. smalltowngal

May 2, 2011

kc~I don't know about Alabama per se, but many places in the south don't have underground shelters because the soil is too hard. I also heard that this particular tornado was a mile wide.

24. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

May 2, 2011

This was an F5 tornado, the highest ranking given to tornadoes. It was just that severe, that's why the death toll is so high. I have friends who were huddled in their basements and felt themselves start getting sucked into the wind after their home was blown away. Praise the Lord, my friends were not hurt. The storm was just THAT bad.

25. basswife

basswife Rookie

May 2, 2011

I was also surprised by the lack of coverage on here. We live just north of Huntsville in Tennessee. We were very fortunate that the "big one" missed us. We have wonderful meteorologists in North Alabama (they actually cover our TN county too) and they did their jobs in getting out the information for people to take cover. The storms were actually moving very fast and they were very strong (several EF4 and at least one EF5 tornado.) One track starts in Northwest Alabama and goes northeast across Alabama and into Southern TN. It was 132 miles long. This blog gives that info: http://blogs.agu.org/wildwildscience/2011/05/02/the-most-amazing-storm-survey-ive-ever-read/

North Alabama has had over 600,000 customers without power due to tornadoes taking out those big metal transmission towers from TVA that supplied the local utilities with power. My parents were without power from Wednesday until about 12:30 pm Sunday. They were lucky. Some areas still do not have power. People drove across the state line for gas, ice, food, generators, etc. The EMA asked our school system to close on Friday due to the excessive amount of traffic that we had coming in from Alabama to get supplies.

People in our county have recovered debris from as far away as Smithville, MS, where an EF5 destroyed a small town. Personally, our family found a medical order from Smithville and a torn photograph of an older man. I posted the picture on the facebook page for tornado victims, but have yet to receive a response to it. Flipping through the pictures posted is like viewing old photographs from war times. A horrific event happened and the pictures and responses tell some of the story. Some people have been reunited with momentos, while others pass along the info that the person in a particular photo perished in the storm.

26. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 3, 2011

Hey, Bama person here. :D We were lucky. But the tornado hit about a mile or so south of us in our little bitty town. It is a mess. Tuscaloosa, Cullman and Fultondale (near Birmingham) got a LOT of damage. The smaller towns of Hackleburg and Pleasant Grove were wiped of the earth. The last death toll I heard was around 214 in Alabama but I think it is higher now.

This link has before and after satellite shots of Tuscaloosa and Pleasant Grove. It is just jaw-dropping the devestation.
    http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/04/alabama_tornadoes_close-up_sat.html

I'll post pics of my area on my blog later.

27. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 3, 2011