Torn

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sumnerfan, May 23, 2008.

1. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

May 23, 2008

I don't know what to do. I have two job offers from comprible (sp) schools. I was supposed to go and sign a contract today with one but they had closed early so I didn't get to. Now I am thinking and I am unsure that I am making the right decision.

One school is significantly closer than other other. But I loved the one that was farther away. The school that is farther has a bad reputation but I have a friend who works there and she loves it and when I had the tour I loved the atmosphere of the school. I liked the principal and felt she was someone I could talk to, at the closer school I just got talked at for an hour by the principal. The school that is farther away has aids to assist with special ed and copying and such, I don't know about the school that is closer. The school that is farther away treats its staff like family, I don't know about the staff at the school that is closer. My husband likes the school that is closer and would like me to teach there so our children could go there. I would have four preps at the school that is closer and two at the school that is farther away but I might get to teach dual credit (more money) at the school that is closer.

I need help. I don't know what to do.

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 23, 2008

Well, ultimately it's your decision to make, but it sounds great that the staff at the farther school is like a big family. Follow what your gut tells you!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 23, 2008

Make a pros/cons list for each school. Be honest w/ yourself and really put down what you feel. Compare your lists and see with one you would feel the most comfortable with.

5. Tetti

Tetti Rookie

May 23, 2008

I would go with the school that you feel close to and from the sounds of it you already know which school you want. You are going to be the one who is going to working at the school, so you need to chose based on what is good for you and though your husband may want you to go to the school that is closer to home go with your gut. GL

6. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 23, 2008

I like the idea of making a pros/cons list for the schools. You need to choose the school that makes YOU happiest or you'll end up regretting your decision. Trust me, I know. I went through this last year, and I didn't go with my gut....I've regretted it ever since. Reading your post, it kind of sounds like you know which school you would like to be at.

7. Proteus

Proteus Rookie

May 23, 2008

You sound like you are trying to convince us to convince you to go with the one that is farther. It is clearly the one you really want. Furthermore, do you really want to see your students around town? In grocery stores? At the mall? Doorbell ditching you and toilet papering your house?

The answer is clear.

Search your feelings, Luke.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 23, 2008

It sounds like your mind is practically made up. Go with your instinct.

:)

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 23, 2008

Your story sounds exactly like mine. I loved the far away school and my husband is STILL pushing for the near school, even though I've already accepted the far away school. Do what you feel is best. You have to go there everyday.

But it's still really hard to tell your spouse that.

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 24, 2008

Hi,

First off congratulations on the two offers. I agree that it sounds like you already made your mind up. I also agree with the people that said make a list.

So far it seems like you would be more comfortable in the school that is farther. I would just make sure you factor your family into this. The point with the children is a good point. You are closer to home and can keep a closer eye on them. Many teachers look for new jobs or request transfers so they can be with their kids. You would already have that if you took choice 1. I think working close to home in nearly any profession is a huge plus. Also, the transportation issues with your kids is taken care of for the most part.

School 2 is going to cost you more. It's farther and gas is through the roof. Consider your drive time. Plus at school 1 you have a chance of more money.

You said school 2 has a bad reputation. I am not sure what that is but write that down too and make sure it is something you can live with even though your friend says she loves it there (which is a huge plus for your side;))

Just my 2 cents:2cents:

Best of luck,

Lemon

11. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

May 24, 2008

All,

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate your input and honestly I would like to just go to the school that is farther away but I'm not sure it's the best decision for everyone involved. That's why I'm having such a hard time. I know gas isn't going to get any cheaper and I know a lot more about the school that is farther away than I do the one that is closer. So the school that is closer may be great but I didn't get a tour and I don't know anyone who works there who can give me the inside scoop like I do at the other school.

The bad reputation of the school doesn't bother me because I have been to the school and I have seen the student population and how they acted.

If I weren't married I would go to the school that was farther away without hesitation but I need to take my family into consideration as well. If I went to the school that was farther away my children would have to ride the bus to school and be home by themselves for thirty minutes in the afternoon

If I went to the closer school I could drop them off and get home about the same time as they did.

I did the list and the closer school's lists were shorter but equal and ironically the farther school's lists were longer but basically equal as well.

I want to go to the school that is farther away but I feel it would be wiser to go to the school that is closer. I'm trying to look at this from a practical view point instead of being ruled by emotion.

As far as being corrected, it doesn't really bother me for the following reasons:

1. I was more concerned about the message than the spelling
    2. I acknowledged one of my mistakes
    3. I didn't even know we had spell check
    4. I was typing quickly because I was in the middle of trying to make my family dinner
    5. I view this as a safe place where I don't have to worry about being judged so I don't worry if I don't have time to proofread.

12. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 24, 2008

Choose the one you feel you belong with. That is how I felt when I interviewed for my new school. I didn't have a doubt in my mind. Good luck to you!

13. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 24, 2008

I can totally understand why you are torn. Too bad you don't know more about the closer school. Still, if it was me I would go with the closer one and know that my kids were near or with me.

Whatever you decide, I am sure you will do great and be comfortable in no time.

Good luck,

Lemon

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 24, 2008

I would probably go with the one closer. I hate driving. I live 1/2 mile from the school I work at this year.

Is there any way you can go visit the closer school again?

15. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

May 24, 2008

Ditto to Jaimie's thoughts. Is there anyway that you can contact the principal and ask for a tour of the school and be able to meet with some of your fellow teaching team?

Take this weekend to mull over the decision and make the one that is best for YOU and your family. You bring up an excellent point that this decision has to be made with your family's needs in mind.

Good luck!

16. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

May 24, 2008

Why don't you call the closer school and ask for a tour? if they really want you, they should be willing to let you see the place before you have to make a decision.

17. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

May 25, 2008

I drove out to the school that is farther away last night and realized that the drive was unrealistic for me not because of the time but because it was all narrow winding backroads. I could absolutely see myself having an accident driving to school. Now I'm at peace with my decision to take the closer school. I wish the other school was closer but it isn't and I can't change that.

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. I really appreciate your support.

18. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 25, 2008

Great!! I am glad you feel better about it. That was a smart thing to to. Now you can set your mind on the other school and start your planning!

Lemon

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 25, 2008

sumnerfan-I'm glad that you are peace with the decision. That would be a big thing for me as well.

20. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

May 25, 2008

Thanks, peace of mind does make the transition easier.

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 25, 2008

I also think you liked already having a friend you know at the other school and that was part of your indecision. You felt connected already. I'm not a big fan of communting either. I did it for 4 years. Gas is too high now. The only way I would have made the opposite decision would have been if the closer school had a bad reputation that I could not handle.

22. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 25, 2008

I'm late getting into this thread, but I'm happy to see you were able to make a decision you are happy with. Everything happens for a reason. Maybe missing the chance to sign the contract was the best thing that could have happened. Good luck with your new job :)

23. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

May 25, 2008

DITTO!!
    The day we start being critical on here about this sort of thing, is the day I'm gone. Though, those who truly want to help the rest of us, bad spellers & grammar violators can have a seperate thread on the do's & don'ts. I know I can use some help!

You are to be commended for the steps you took to analyze & make your decision. Congratulations & may the new school yr bring you much success.

24. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 25, 2008

I'm glad you came to your decision! Congrats on the job!

Personally, I don't come on here to demonstrate how well I can use punctuation and grammar. :)

25. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

May 25, 2008

My kids went to the school I taught at and it was a BLESSING on after school activites, PTO activities, sports etc. Go to the one where your kids are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is awesome.

26. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

May 25, 2008

Congrats!!!

27. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 25, 2008

Congratulations on your job and it sounds like you made the correct decision for you!