Torn ... to shreds What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 5thgraderocks, Nov 17, 2009.

1. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Nov 17, 2009

Am I the only one who feels stressed beyond my limits? Each week we spend our valuable prep time at meetings. We've never taught in isolation but meeting with grade level team members is virtually not possible and seems to be getting worse.

AM prep time has always been 'sacred' to me. I want the children to enter the room with chairs off the desk tops, notes on the board, music playing in the background, materials for day laid out, etc. Lately, meetings begin an hour before kids arrive (actually before contract time) and run until we hear the foots steps in the hallway.

It's mid-November and we are still working on our mission statement!! I am not alone when my mind drifts to the many modifications awaiting; the early moring touches that make kids feel warm and welcome. Daycare isn't open earlier so coming in two hours before the kids is not an option.

After school meetings occur daily. Our dedicated staff always puts our kids first. We also have families who need our attention for a few hours!! Personally, I am sick to death of PLC, trust building games with staff when our time should put kids at the top of our list. What am I missing?

3. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Nov 18, 2009

Do you have a union? Our union wouldn't allow ANY of that to happen. Get your union involved, because admins shouldn't be taking away your plan time for anything. While you're at it, go through your contract and see what it says about after hours meetings. Our contract specifically spells out how much time we are required to spend in meetings beyond the school day.

4. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 18, 2009

Yikes! Teachers revolt! Nothing worse than a morning meeting and no way should there be consecutive morning meetings before contract time and right up until the kids come! Seems like your principal is afraid to commit to a resolution, and needs some pushing. I'd express my concern, show up at contract time, and excuse myself a few minutes before the students come. With too many meetings after school I'd get together with my colleagues and have one representative from our team attend, and rotate.

On the other hand, while it is nice to have the room so nice, warm, and inviting, with fifth graders I'd prefer to involve them, give some responsibilities and contributions, and let them practice being big kids. They can take down chairs themselves. Put a kid in charge of the music and they'll feel like a wanted, important contributor. Rotate who gets to put the date on the board and distribute materials. It is a different warm fuzzy, but you also get the benefits of boosting their confidence, efficacy, and mutual trust and respect.

5. janlee

janlee Devotee

Nov 18, 2009

I second this. Our union would never allow this to happen. Preps are for prep work. If I am asked to attend a meeting on my prep (IEP review, meet with a parent and principal) I must be given additional time to make my prep up during the day.

6. prek176

prek176 Companion

Nov 18, 2009

I agree, this definitely is a union thing. Your union president needs to voice these concerns to administration. Good luck!

7. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Nov 18, 2009

Thanks! It is a union issue for sure. We just seem to have a lot of teachers who are willing to give their time away.