topics/themes for last weeks?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by cocacola, May 9, 2010.

1. cocacola

cocacola Rookie

May 9, 2010

I could use some suggestions for ideas/skills you cover these last several weeks of school. I have finished up the Reading series, covered required topics in math and ss/science. Not sure what to do with my kids these last few weeks. I want to still do engaging and interesting things and I do have a 2 hour reading block I have to fill each day (which will be hard now that I am kind of on my own). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 9, 2010

I usually do something fun like dinosaurs or the ocean-it helps me choose books to read-aloud or activities to incorporate. I also start introducing some concepts I know they'll see next year-just to kind of give them a head start.

4. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

May 9, 2010

I'm in the same boat! I will be watching this post!

We are going to do an "all about me" book where they each do each page about things they learned throughout the year. So we will do a page a day etc.

5. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

May 10, 2010

We have themed days which lend themselves to cross curricular activities. Some are: bubble day, sidewalk chalk day, finger painting day (we use pudding so they can "eat" the paint), rodeo day, stuffed animal day, etc. They can write about their activities, read stories and related words, etc.

6. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 11, 2010

I pretty much do what KinderCowgirl does--things the children are interested in, but fun and try to do more 'fun' activites. We also have 2 field trips scheduled, and some speakers coming in just to keep the interest up and the behaviors down. We also swap classes with a first grade teacher for about 30-40 minutes one day to let the Kinderkids get a taste of first grade. The teachers do an easy first grade activity with them and the first graders who come to me get to do an art activity or centers. It's fun for both groups.