Topic for Math demonstration lesson

Discussion in 'General Education' started by GoldenPoppy, Jul 7, 2012.

1. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 7, 2012

I'm doing a final interview on Wednesday with my two top candidates for the 6-8 math teacher position we have open. They are each going to teach a demo lesson to a group of 7th graders, some parents, and some teachers (this will be a mixed group).

I'm trying to decide on the topic. I'm leaning heavily towards graphing the results of function tables, but I'm open to other ideas. What topic would you suggest?

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 7, 2012

Hmmm...could you leave it up to them and see what they come up with?

4. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 7, 2012

I want to give them the same topic, just like I asked the same questions during the initial interview and then the knowledge specific interview.

5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 7, 2012

I see. I've never taught 7th grade, but when I was in 7th grade, I remember many students had trouble with percent increase and percent decrease.

6. roxstar

roxstar Companion

Jul 7, 2012

I think you should teach whatever you feel really comfortable with. If graphing and functions are something you can do in your sleep, and you can generate excitement about it while delivering the lesson, I say go for it. Remember, if you are engaged and enthusiastic, they will be too and that is what makes a great teacher. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

7. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 8, 2012

I'm actually the principal and I'm interviewing these people. I do want to see enthusiasm during this part of the interview...I'm anxious to see how my top candidate does.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2012

I would want to see something explained, something the kids might have a question on to see the level of comfort the candidate has with the material.

So in that respect, percent increase/decrease is a good idea.

I would hesitate to do graphing simply because of the amount of time it takes to set up a graph-- that always leads to so much dead time. If you do decide on it, I would make sure the candidates know what technology and supplies are at their disposal--Is there a document camera, do the kids have graph paper, and so on.

I'm sorry, I'm drawing a complete blank at the moment and can't remember what's in 7th grade math. (Yes, I do have a 14 year old and a 12 year old. And I taught 7th grade math is 2006. But I just woke up and apparently am not yet fully functioning.)

9. Sunflower883

Sunflower883 Rookie

Jul 8, 2012

What about Pythagorean Theorem? This topic has a lot of potential for hands-on activities and discovery based learning.