Topic 1: Have you ever been turned off after an interview?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ZoomZoomZOOM, Jun 3, 2008.

1. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 3, 2008

For example, I went to an interview today for a position that I thought would be right up my alley. And I still think I might enjoy the position they are offering, although there were a few aspects of it that sounded so/so to me. (Of course I lied and said, "YES, I'd still be interested in the job!) Anyway, my interview was really impersonal. It only lasted about 15 minutes and they asked me about ten questions - all general to sped (Have you ever written IEP's? Have you ever done a CBM? How would you collaborate with general educators?) - but they never really asked me any personal questions or tried to get to know me. The vice principal wrote down my answers and only smiled when she shook my hand at the very end of the interview. The other guy was more friendly but wouldn't be working at the school. He's in charge of the sped co-op that hires for the district. I did see the principal and get to meet her when I was taking my tour and she seemed friendly enough. Ironically she was giving a new 1st grade teacher a tour when we ran into her.

Anyway, I left feeling like... I don't know how to say it. It was just a little disappointing. I wondered if you folks had experienced anything similar where you left an interview that you had been really hyped about, a little disappointed. :unsure:

3. MicrobeFan

MicrobeFan Rookie

Jun 3, 2008

Yes, but in my case, the principal's attitude was what did it. He took issue with the majority of my answers, interrupting me and saying my responses to various classroom scenarios were wrong (not unusual, or flawed, but flat-out wrong) and that we were very different.

I understand that type of person and interview format (stress interview). I remained polite, calm and open to learning. However, said principal contradicted himself later in the interview by telling me I should not first consult the school's policies in one particular scenario (as I had began my response), but instead come up with a solution myself.

Let me get this straight: independent ideas are good.... no wait, they're bad.... no- hold the phone, they're great if they match the principal's unuttered thoughts...

This was my first-ever interview for a teaching position and the position would otherwise have been quite desirable. The principal had arrived late to the interview and left early without ever shaking my hand. The next day, I interviewed somewhere else and received an offer.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2008

I've totally felt that way. There was one position that I really wanted, and it happened to be in my preferred geographic location. During the interview, however, I just got the feeling that the AP was really bored, didn't care one way or the other about me, and was just going through the motions of an interview. Afterwards, I remember feeling pretty down and disappointed.

At the time, my husband reminded me that interviewing is as much for the candidate as it is for the interviewer. The candidate gets to learn about the school, the students, the administration, etc. They also get a feeling for the morale and social climate of the place. Any number of jobs can look great on paper but turn out to be nightmares in person.

I took that experience of mine and filed it away as an example of what sort of AP I did not want to work for. I wanted an AP who was as excited about kids and about learning as I was, so I wouldn't be a good fit with an administrative team who seemed bored and indifferent.

5. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 3, 2008

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one that had a so-so interview. And Microbe - I can't imagine going through a "stress interview!" Yuck!

Kind of reminds me about the person who said he/she was asked about reading and math theorists in an interview. LOL I would have just cut my losses, stood up, thanked them for their time and walked out.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 3, 2008

I had one where the interviewing committee arrived 20 minutes late (they were at lunch) and then they rushed me though my interview because "they were running late and they were going to interview someone after me". It was the school district that I went to from K-12 and the district that I student taught in but I did not submit my missing documents that they needed because I was totally turned off.

7. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 3, 2008

Oh brother. :rolleyes: I don't blame you!

Incidentally guys, these stories you're telling me are making my so-so interview seem awesome. :lol:

8. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jun 3, 2008

I remember one of the worst interviews I had right out of college before my first year of teaching. I went to the Board of Ed. building and sat with 2 people who read questions off a paper in a monotone voice and stared at me with no expression as I answered and then proceeded to write down my responses while I waited in uncomfortable silence. It was very awkward and I remember thinking how awful I felt when it was done and that I didn't want to work for that county if that's what I had to go through.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 3, 2008

I had one with a program to teach in Japan. They asked me a question about my parents coming to visit me but me being told that I had to work late and what I would do. They had the nerve to argue with me after I answered the question because at the end I said something like, good thing I wouldn't have to worry about this happening because there was no way that my parents would fly to Japan. They were trying to tell me that my parents would visit me in Japan if I was there...

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 3, 2008

The best advise I ever got was that an interview wasn't only for the prospective employer to evaluate you as a potential employer, but also for you to evaluate a potential employer as a suitable place for you to work. There has to be a match both ways. If the place isn't right for you for whatever reason, then it's not a match. If your gut is saying this isn't where you will feel comfortable, then listen to it.

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2008

oh sure, I can write a book!!!

tomorrow is my birthday...and I will start a new chapter for the rest of my life. If I don't get another pre-k job by august, I will become a writer!

My issue is the child care centers from h*ll, in the middle of places you don't want to park your car, and smells you can't describe, and interviewers who eagerly admit..."I don't remember your name..but I see you have a Type 04 credential, and I need that, so I wanted you to come in!"

I am currently dealing with ghost employee syndrome in Head Start centers..where they xerox my life away, and make a nice and neat employee folder with my stuff, to give somebody the impression that I work there...but they apparently can't afford to hire me or when they do, can't pay me.

And to add icing to the cake... (in more ways than one), I had the infamous race card question:

"How do you feel about working in an all-white school?" :confused:

The kids were not all white, just the staff. :eek:

Needless to say...I won't start another 5 page marathon thread on that one...

But I was quite turned off!

Trust me...if it don't feel right, look right, smell right...it ain't right!

Don't sniff the sour milk, and taste it anyway...

When it doubt throw it out.

don't even consider it...

12. smarkham01

smarkham01 Companion

Jun 3, 2008

I second mmswm's comments. I've had three interviews that left me cold. One I withdrew my application during the interview, the other two I withdrew at the end of the interview. In all three cases it became apparent to me that, regardless of whether they wanted me, I didn't want to work there and didn't see any use in dragging the process out.

13. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 4, 2008

YEAH! That's what this VP was like! It was bizarre... The other guy was fine but he wouldn't be at the school. I'd have to work with the stone-faced VP. At the same time, I'm not sure I can afford to blow it off based on this first impression. Maybe she was just having a bad day??? :D

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 4, 2008

Been there. It's a very confusing feeling, because you are constantly second guessing your impression-was it nerves on your part? Did you mis-interpret? Did you cause the tension?

I met with a school at a job fair and had an excellent interview with the principal of a private elementary school. The next day I met with the head of school (it was a two day fair). The guy told me he believed that education was triage-you save the students you can and leave the rest behind (even if they are paying 20k in tuiton....) and that he did not believe in using math manipulatives, art or drama. What the? I wanted to get up and walk out right then, but I slapped a smile on my face and got through the rest of it.

I was also asked to interview at a school system on a specific day, but asked to reschedule for a day I had another interview on, so I wouldn't have to take two days off work (I did not tell the reason for rescheduling, though). They happlily agreed, and the lady on the phone was gushing about my portfolio and how much they wanted to meet me and how much I stood out, etc. I got to the school, had to wait 10 minutes, and then the principal walked in and didn't even know my name. Apparently the SECRETARY really loved my portfolio. The principal didn't even realize I was there for interview. She just gave me a tour, bragged about her school and their technology and ushered me to the door, saying if I were still interested I could schedule an interview. AAAAAH! Not a single questions about my experience or goals. I'm not sure she knew my name when I left. Needless to say, I didn't schedule that second interview.

15. MicrobeFan

MicrobeFan Rookie

Jun 4, 2008

Wow, these are quite interesting stories. Master Pre-K and Jem, especially, what awful experiences and disrespect for your time.

I had a thought about the stone-faced interviewers. I was told at one of my interviews that in order to make the process fair, they were going to have to read the same questions to everyone and not show any emotion when I answered. I am not kidding. They even apologized about that characteristic of the interview. It was great to know that in advance, however. Perhaps if the hiring team had let the candidates above know that, it would have seemed less awkward. On the other hand maybe they truly did not wish to be there or were robots.

16. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 4, 2008

How strange! Like they'd be so overcome with joy at my witty banter that I'd tell all of my competitors they don't stand a chance? :rolleyes: That doesn't make any sense. (The not-showing-any-emotion aspect.) Unless they're thinking "we're interviewing 30 candidates for this job. don't get their hopes up by letting them know we like them." But really, why would they care?

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2008

are you serious? Like some kind of test? Or a teleconference?? Why not just have an online interview?

This is the ABC School Dist. (beep)..The purpose of this interview is to determine the best candidate (beep) State your answers clearly and quickly (beep) Speak into the microphone (beep) If you do not understand the question, press 1. If you want the question repeated, press 2. Please place your right thumb and left index finger onto the screen. This verifies that you are the right party. (beep) Do not remove your hands, get out of the chair, sneeze or cough until the interview session is over. (beep) This will be indicated by the green OK light on the top left portion of the screen. (beep) Thank you for considering ABC School Dist. :lol::lol::lol:

18. MicrobeFan

MicrobeFan Rookie

Jun 4, 2008

Master Pre-K,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Okay, seriously, I'm cracking up here at your reply, really losing it, and I'm at work, so that's dangerous.

I hope it never comes to that.

Yes, it is crazy, but since I was interested in the job, I didn't think to get out of my comfort zone and ask why, just went along with it.

Zoomzoomzoom, I don't get it either. My only thought is that if they frowned when I gave an inadequate reply and I then gave another answer, they'd have to write down my improved answer and I'd have an unfair advantage. So, it would be akin to getting to buzz in twice on Jeopardy.

19. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Jun 4, 2008

I went to an interview expecting only one principal there....there ended up being 2 principals hiring for 3 positions. The interview was great with the principal that I expected to be there...terrible with the other one! She had my application right in front of her...knew I was to be a 1st year teacher with no "real" experience other than 1 year of summer school and any classwork that I did through college (practica, partnership, and student teaching) and looked at me with a very discusted (sp?) look on her face and said "so you don't have ANY experience?" and other things like that. I left that interview saying to myself that if she called for a position I would NOT accept. I can't work for someone like that...

20. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2008

thanks Microbe..it's good to know I'm worth something!! Can't make any money, might as well make somebody laugh!

Oh, I do recall an interview, where I tried a gutsy move that I read somewhere.

Do you have any questions for us?

"Yes, What would be some of my first assignments when I begin?"

The first interviewer said, "Ooh, I want to see you upgrade our lesson plans with this great plan you wrote, and...

The second interviewer (the bad cop) said, "Well, that was a loaded question!"

:confused: What? Was I being rude...presumptious? I had to look up that saying!! Did she actually believe by answering the question she was would be offering me the position?

Well, why the h*ll not? I was told, ask for the job! :rolleyes:

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2008

ha...I got one better...I was interviewing for an aide job. The principal said, "Do you have any experience in working with children?" I paused...before I spoke...

I have a teaching certificate and have over 10 years experience, it's right there on my resu...

I literally shut up and began to shut down, because I realized....she didn't even look at my resume! :mad:

22. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 4, 2008

I have! The principal lied to me. He called me 16 hours before the interview and asked me to put together a model lesson on a certain 6th grade science standard. When I got to the interview I apologized for not having it done to the best of my ability because of the short notice (I also had to drive 4 hours to the interview). He said, "Oh, I tried calling you, but you were still teaching in Ireland." NOT TRUE. I had been back in the States for a month and applied for this position 2 weeks earlier. Right then I knew I didn't want to work for him, because he was a liar.

23. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Jun 4, 2008

I've had some unbelievable interviews. One guy asked me if I planned on getting pregnant while working there. (so illegal). One I drove over 1 hr to the interview to be asked 3 questions. It was so obvious they were doing the interview because they had to, and had already picked who they wanted.

Interviewers who didn't know which position I was applying for. Ones who were more interested in what I was wearing than my skills....

Like a pp said...if you get a really bad feeling about the person interviewing you and its someone you will be working with (not just and HR person doing the interview) its probably a sign that you won't like the job.

24. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2008

jeez louise...I smell a lawsuit!

you know what, I am just stopping my job hunt now...and I am going to represent all you guys...I'll get the paperwork started for EEOC, fair employment practices, when they make a deal, just give me 10%

this is ridiculous...

do I plan on getting pregnant???... I would have said..

"What, with you? Not in this lifetime!!"

or,

"Do you plan on getting pregnant or getting your wife pregnant, because I am tired of supervisors hiring me, and then getting pregnant and leaving me with some nitwit who can't run the place."

grrrr :mad:

25. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 4, 2008

Hahahahhah! You're on fire today, MPK.

There is a school I'm still somewhat entwined with that has made me see the really dark side of hiring.

I went in for my first interview about 9 weeks ago. They had gotten my resume from another school (both private). It was a great interview. I took the morning off work, did a smash-bang demo and thought I was a shoe-in.

Details are fuzzy because it was so long ago, but they wanted me to meet with the guy I would be teaming with (6 grade self contained, but I would teach l. arts and soc, he would teach science and math). It took him a full week to return my calls, and he stood me up three times before we got to meet. Remember, I'm desperate for this job. I was a nervous wreck the entire week.

Principal calls back, wants me to have dinner with him and the head of school and then go to a book reading about kids and nature. Awesome! Head start on the year, right? No.... they ran late, squashed dinner into five minutes (the principal ordered ahead and got cheese on everything-I don't eat cheese so I starved), and rushed to the book reading.

Nothing back from them for a week and a half, until I call. What's up with the job? Oh, they want to meet AGAIN, with the team teacher. Team teacher can't five five minutes out of his busy schedule to meet, this goes on for two weeks.

Principal calls two weeks ago, wants to meet on the weekend at the school, we discuss my concerns about communication and timeliness, he acknowledges these are problems, will let me know about the job on Monday.

Monday comes, he e-mails me and tells me they are interviewing another candidate, will let me know soon. I tell him I'm signing another contract on Wednesday unless he gives me an offer, he says he'll call Tues. night at the latest with a decision. Never calls. E-mails that he'll call Wednesday morning (what, while I'm signing the contract)? Never calls.

I finally e-mail this past weekend to find out what the heck is going on, he says they're interviewing a candidate that use to teach for them, and will let me know soon.

Sorry, game over.

The giant problem was that my husband really liked this school (about a third of the commute to the job I've accepted, much higher pay, very high reputation, etc.). I kept the line of communication open to appease Erik, but it added soooo much stress to my life. I still hate that there is no closure on this thing. Boo to them.

26. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2008

what is up with these people! I tell you, we are ghost employees! Once you shake my hand, that is a contract isn't it! I want to get paid for wasting half a day Monday at this job that STILL hasn't called me back!

oooh...I can't eat cheese either. I would have been really po'd! and demanded they offer me a few ($10 !!) dollars for dinner, since I spent gas to get there and expected to eat.

oh yeah, and you ain't seen nothing yet!

I am going to start sending these folks travel reimbusement requests! Corporate jobs do that. Pay you for coming to interview.

How dare they say they are interviewing another candidate Jem?! I tell you, we are just a tax write off for their expense accounts!

27. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

Jun 4, 2008

turned off after an interview

I interviewed at one school and left knowing that I never wanted to set foot there again.

The school was not taken care of at all. It was dirty and looked very old. I was shocked when the principal told me it was built in 2003. There felt like there was no pride for the school!

The principal was a large intimidating man who refused to have a conversation with me during the interview. He would bark out questions to me and blankly look at me while I fumbled for answers.

The principal told me the school was doing away with teams (teams are one of the most important aspects of the middle school, IMO).

When I asked about technology available for teacher use, he told me I would get a desktop computer and an overhead projector could be checked out on a daily basis. No computer labs for kids. I should say that I come from an area where technology integration is currently the big thing.

Then, as the interview was drawing to an end, he said that should I take the job, he would require me to obtain another certification by Dec. 08 so his scheduling would be easier next year.

When he called to offer me the position a week later, I had no hesitation in turning it down.

28. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 4, 2008

Um... guys.... I took the job. :D

29. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

Jun 4, 2008

Congrats!

Congratulations on the job, ZoomZoomZOOM!

30. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2008

Congrats on the job, ZoomZoomZoom

31. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 4, 2008

Thank you! It'll be a tiny cut in pay from the district, but the county has its good points too.

Okay, I found out I'd be making more than I realized. heh

32. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jun 4, 2008

Your responses are too funny, MPK, and I totally remember the one about working with white people!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I felt that way after all of my interviews except for the one in the district I'm in actually, how funny. Well there was one where I really liked the administrators a lot but the school didn't seem to be a good fit . . . it was private and there was not good discipline because there was no parent support. I was offered the job and I took it but luckily the contract was not signed before I changed my mind!

Congratulations, Zoom, hope you like it. :)

33. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2008

woo hoo! party over here!...party over here!:partyhat::party::partyhat:...congratulations Zoom!!!

welcome to the club... and...STRS ...

State Teachers of Retirement System of Illinois! :D

34. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2008

That was terrible! First, if a school building should always be clean and relatively tidy...no matter how old it is. with all these diseases in our environment now...I would be disgusted coming in the door as well!

And I completely agree with you on team teaching. That seems to work well with all grade levels, and especially for curriculum development, event planning, and dealing with a large staff as a whole!

and what school could possible exisit without embracing technology? I thought he was going to tell you that you would get a overhead projector and be happy with that!

and that last comment was too rude. get your certificate renewed so I don't have to waste my time?! sheesh, are you gonna slip me the $20 bucks or advance my pay to do it? I guess I should go out and renew my driver's license, get a new physical and TB test too.

Yeah, I just did all that. well not the license part...that's is still good until next year when I turn.... OMG...50?!

Oh wow... forgive me...hijacking here... :eek: wait... I can almost say this...I am having a SENIOR MOMENT!!! :lol:

and that doggone job that still hasn't called me...they have a copy of my entire life!

35. MicrobeFan

MicrobeFan Rookie

Jun 4, 2008

Congratulations ZoomZoomZOOM! You must be so excited! We will bask in your good vibes, hoping to catch some for ourselves...

Master Pre-K, have you thought of stand-up to boost your coffers?

36. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2008

Did you hear the one about the teacher who...

Yeah,..sorry zoom..we are really happy for you. But we are also starting to see the hassles we have gone through!

but I tell you guys, if it wasn't for this site, I would be really crying the blues. Never been unemployed on my birthday, since I was 16!!! It helps to share and vent in this great forum!

Going out to get my free Baskin Robbins ice cream!

37. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 4, 2008

My mom says it's a sign of the economy-if they can interview a hundred people, why not?

38. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 4, 2008

I love happy endings! :2up:

39. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2008

my update...

Well folks, I decided enough is enough! I just emailed, faxed and mailing off a letter to those people, demanding my documents back!

"It appears tht we have a misunderstanding about my status of employment as a Master Pre-K teacher. You offered me a job on Friday, told me to come in Monday, and then said I needed a second interview with parent policy person. As of 3pm today, I have not heard back from you. I am requesting that you give me all of my documents back, as you apparently are not serious about offering me this position."

:confused:

40. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 6, 2008

Whoa! You go, MPK.

I don't blame you for being angry about the last minute red tape.

41. crayonfan

crayonfan Companion

Jun 6, 2008

how about when a principal calls you personally to apply. You tell him that you aren't fully licensed to teach that subject yet. He asks when I will be done. July... no problem he says just put that in your letter of interest. Well then comes the interview. The team was very happy you are interested in the position you are told point blank we want you! Then..." oh you're not fully licensed? I didn't know about this" I was in shock. I didn't know what to say...I was told that they may not be able to wait until July. They will let me know next week.