Top Ten

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mstnteacherlady, Jul 21, 2007.

1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 21, 2007

Does anyone use the Top Ten list for a literacy center? The one I'm thinking of is where you give the student a new topic each time they do the center (every 8 days or each week) and there are certain activities that they do. For example, after making their list they put the words in ABC order, write an adjective to describe the nouns, etc. Anyone know what I'm talking about / have an example I can look at? I'm trying to find one that I can use with my 5th graders, but for some reason I'm having a hard time coming up with one on my own. I'm just not satisfied with my work today. :(
    Also, if you have any other good ideas for centers in 5th grade, I'm always up for trying something new. Any help is appreciated!

3. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

My daughter had this center last year in fourth grade, and it was (by far) her favorite. The topic would change each week but usually focused on "favorites" (favorite foods, animals, etc.). Then they would either put them in ABC order, use them in sentences, list two adverbs describing them, etc. I think I may use this center this year in second grade because: 1. it's easy to put together and change out, 2. the kiddos like it, and 3. you get to learn more about their interests/likes. :)

4. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 21, 2007

I'm sure it would be one that my 5th graders would enjoy! Maybe I'll find something in my Google searches.

5. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 21, 2007

So, you want to give them 1 topic and then they do the top ten list over the course of about a week. Then they get a new topic and do the top 10 for the new topic?

I just want to understand what you are looking for before I offer suggestions.

6. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 21, 2007

They would do it in a center so it only changes weekly (or every two weeks, depending on center scheduling.). They would be given a topic for which they would come up with a top ten list. For example: Top Ten Sports. They would write their top ten list of sports and then do the different activities with that list. The list would contain things such as put the words in ABC order, write an adjective that describes each word, separate the words into two or more categories and give each category a heading, etc. I hope that makes sense. I talked to someone who had a list that I really liked, but now I can't remember who it was! (haha...of course!)

7. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 21, 2007

ok ummm. We can begin with your list and the add on

1. Write your top ten (sports)
    2. Put words in ABC order
    3. Write an adjective to describe each sport
    4. Divide words into at least two categories and write sub-headings
    5. Write each word with crayons, black for consonant, red for vowels
    6. Break each word into syllables
    7. Choose one word and see how many words you can make using the letters from that word.
    8. Use each word in a Who-What-Where-When-Why sentence. For example: (baseball) My brother went to see the Yankees play last Tuesday night because his favorite baseball player is Derek Jeter.
    9. Write each word using a stencil (I do this in my class with spelling words)
    10. Write a math word problem for each word. Example: At the basketball game last week, Shaq made 8 points the first quarter, 6 points, the second quarter, and 8 points during the third quarter. If he made 30 points all together, how many points did he score in the last quarter.

8. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 21, 2007

I use the Top Ten center. I made a poster with it and have it displayed in my room. What uclalum listed is perfect. You can have the kids do a top ten list of ANYTHING. The kids love it.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2007

I've never heard of this! Do you do one top ten exercise a day?

10. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 21, 2007

I don't plan to do it every day. I plan for it to be a center activity that students will encounter once every two weeks. If they do not finish the first time, they will finish on the final day which is make-up center day.

11. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 21, 2007

mstnteacherlady,
    Did you see this somewhere? At a workshoe or something? I learned it through a workshop that I atttended a few years ago. That along with many other wonderful centers for kids to do while you meet with guided reading groups.

12. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 21, 2007

Yes, I learned about it at a workshop. She only skimmed over the idea, but didn't have time to go in depth with it at all. That's why I'm asking (on here) if anyone has used it.

13. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 21, 2007

mstnteacherlady...I PMed you about the Top Ten as well another center that the kids love. I teach younger children so I don't know if 5th graders would like it. You can always adapt it to fit them.

14. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 21, 2007

hehe I just got your PM and like your center idea! I actually just PMed you a minute or two ago! Thanks! :)

15. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2007

I saw this at a workshop too... I have been begging the woman who was in charge to email me the template, and now she is retired.

Great minds think alike huh ;) This is on my to do list as well.

16. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 22, 2007

This morning I ended up sending an e-mail to the lady who did our workshop and asked her to send me a copy. If she does, I'll get it to you! :)

17. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 22, 2007

I'd love a copy, too. I love this idea.

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 22, 2007

Oh, I would, too. This is interesting. What happens if the kids write a phrase instead of just one word for an item?

19. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 22, 2007

That's okay...at least they are writing. Who is the woman that did the workshop? I wonder if it's the same one.

20. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 22, 2007

Her name is Julie Amstutz. She's an Academic Coach in Montgomery County, TN.

21. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 22, 2007

I was at a workshop of Patricia Pavelka's and that is where I learned it. She gave us one of her books (others were available to buy) as the handout. AWESOME IDEAS!!

22. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 24, 2007

Ok, I have a couple of examples of a Top Ten for a center. If you asked for a copy, PM me your email and I'll get it right to you! :)

Happy Teaching!

23. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2007

I wanted to bump this to add the list that came from my academic coach. I used 2 that came from this post, but the rest are from my coach.

“I’m done with my list! Now what do I do?

1. Put your words in ABC order.
    2. Separate syllables in each word
    ex: man/a/ger
    3. Label the part of speech for each word.
    4. Use each word in a sentence (make sure each sentence has seven to fifteen words).
    5. Give a definition for each word.
    6. Draw a picture illustrating each word on your list.
    7. Add two adjectives to each word.
    8. Put your words into categories.
    9. Make your words longer.
    10. Add five more words that you think no one will think of.
    11. Create a Venn diagram comparing and contrasting two words from your list.
    12. Choose three words from the list and tell how they relate to you or something you know.
    13. Create three similes or metaphors using some of the words.
    14. Use each word in a Who-What-Where-When-Why sentence.
    ex: (baseball) My brother went to see the Yankees play last Tuesday night because his favorite baseball player is Derek Jeter.
    15. Write each word with crayons or colored pencils, and choose one color for consonants, and another for vowels.
    ex: pencil
    16. Create a list of synonyms and antonyms for your words.

24. cookieteach

cookieteach New Member

Aug 20, 2007

I would love it if you could share your examples with me. I am in the middle of a centers project and this is the activity I am currently working on. Your help is much appreciated!!