Top pros and cons of teaching high schoolers

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Frankie, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Frankie

Frankie Rookie

Nov 28, 2016

I was thinking of making a career switch to teach high school business. Generally speaking, just curious to what your top pros and cons of teaching are? And is the net positive? My decision will of course come down to my personal desires, but just want to make as well-informed of a decision as I can.

3. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Dec 6, 2016

Pros- Can be easy to work with, interesting, they want to learn. They can be highly motivated and want to do well in your class. When they want to learn and you have a good rapport with the students is really fun to run a class. Seeing them succeed and mature through all classes and in general.
    Cons- Some students come from a family/climate that doesn't encourage education and it can make it hard for them to learn. Also, drama, bad habits (partying and staying up too late) and just disliking school can make things hard. Some of the "wanna be cool students" can distract others and get them in their circle to become disengaged in the class.

4. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Dec 7, 2016

Pros:
    Teenagers are funny! I laugh every day with mine (not at them -- at least not in front of them lol)
    I learn something new every day -- even if it's something trivial like the new dance craze or new slang, I like not being cut off from youth culture.
    I get to talk about literature, language, and culture all day long.
    We get to have some amazing discussions about what they think and want.
    My students give me hope for the future.

Cons:
    Teenagers are exhausting! I pretty much collapse at the end of the day from dealing with 150 unique teenage souls.
    I learn difficult things about them. I hear about their struggles and what they are dealing with, and I carry a little of that around with me.
    I wake up in the middle of the night sometimes worrying about them and what I can do better as a teacher to help.
    Sometimes I can't get them to stop talking, and sometimes we sit in awkward silence.
    I feel a huge weight of responsibility to help prepare my students for the future.