Top Chef Finale? Anyone??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by McKennaL, Dec 10, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Dec 10, 2009

Your thoughts?

Come on! I CAN'T be the only one here!

My thoughts:

NO WAY!!!!!

What was THAT????

I am a H-U-G-E Kevin fan! I nearly cried to realize he wouldn't win the night (in my mind - there might be a NIGHT "top Chef"...but he was the SEASON Top Chef!!!!).

But then I thought...(with the judge's comments) SURELY it would be Brian. (Might I say now...I didn't like either of the brothers...or that they put them on there in the first place. It seemed TOO much about playing up the rivalry...which having had two kids who spout sibling rinalry ALL the time..I found it UGLY and a waste of my time to watch it!... But I started to think that... this whole season was aimed at the *tension* of having the Brother's stand up there at the end...one against the other. It's very typical of "Bravo Drama" and something i am enjoying LESS AND LESS! It makes the viewer feel...played!)

SHOCKED that after the comments fromt he judges about the POORLY done cessert...and the "muschroom" formed out of mushroom pate. And just the general comments about other than one dish that needed more flavor...that Michael won over Brian.

As for Michael through the season... he was about as rude as the OTHER Michael. So that was the winner?

No Way!!!!

The REAL winner was Kevin! I nearly cried as he slumped into his mom's arms at the end and she kissed his head. I think that kiss was felt/meant to be given by ALL his fans!

Awwwww........

http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/videos/kevin-ruined-his-chances

Toby's comment that he is SURELY on the fast track to CULINARY SUPER-STARDOM...was spot on! I would definitely stop in Atlanta on some visit to go to his restaurant!!

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Dec 10, 2009

I've been to that restaurant...and maybe it was an off night...but the food wasn't that good.

BF went to school with him, and was hoping he would win.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 10, 2009

I loved Kevin, too, and I loved his approach to cooking. He is successful already and will go on to even better things. But, they had to judge based on the meal presented last night. And one comment - that Kevin should've had a slice of pork in addition to the pork belly - made sense.

I'm not unhappy that Michael won. Both he and Bryan cooked beautiful, creative dishes. I thought the last four were some of the best chefs the show has ever had. Yeah, they played up the 'brotherly rivalry' thing a bit too much, but it was kind of funny.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2009

ACK!!! I dozed off between Chef's table and the final 2 minutes; I saw that Michael won but missed what directly preceeded it.

Everything that I heard made Bryan sound like a shoo-in.

I do agree that the top people this season were all incredibly evenly talented. I really liked all the top 5 people, and would have been happy to see any of them win.

6. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Dec 10, 2009

KEVIN IS THE TOP CHEF! What a bunch of crap! I was so mad!

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 11, 2009

I wasn't thrilled either, but I had a feeling that was how it would go. Michael is creative and willing to try things (seemed to be their main concern with Bryan). If you look at past winners, several had horrible personalities, I think sometimes they take that as a strength. I was rooting for Kevin. Of course I am from the south so serving fried chicken skin just made him a natural! :)

8. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Dec 30, 2009

Personally I was NOT thrilled that Michael won. But he was presented as the golden boy throughout the season. I thought Bryan was probably a more well rounded chef. But Jen.... I wish Jen could have won. It seemed crazy that they sent HER home and her dish was considered one of the better. It made no sense at all. Yes, she had some crummy challenges, but it was clear that she was a top contender.

9. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Dec 30, 2009

I like Jen too. I really thought she was a top contender! I was defenitly surprised when they said Michael won. I thought Brian had the better meal.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2009

Jen really dropped the ball for several weeks though. I liked her, but she really let her nerves get the best of her for a while.

That said, any of the top 4 could have won-- the whole "Any Given Sunday" thing.

11. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Dec 30, 2009

I did think that Bryan came across as a nice guy, while Michael became increasingly egotistical as the season progressed. Of course they only let us see what they want us to see, right? He was probably a really nice guy. I do think that there was more talent in this bunch than any other of the past top chefs. I also loved Top Chef Masters.

12. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Dec 30, 2009

I'm not sure you folks might have seen the episode of "Watch What Happens" when Kevin was declared fan favorite. But Andy Cohen asked, and Kevin affirmed, that Kevin's wife left him (they split) a week before the finale was shot. And then asked it Kevin believed that that might have had something to do with what happened the last evening.

Kevin agreed that perhaps it was a little harder for him to stay focused, but that he didn't want to blame anything other than that his meal wasn't as good and that Bryan and Michael were much better.

Shee3esh... within the first week or two of splitting with my ex...I was a total wreck. I dropped 25 pounds within a month and I wouldn't have been able to compete in anything.

I still stand behind Kevin being the Top Chef of the entire season.