Top 10 Most Stressful Jobs - ABC Good Morning America

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by teacherman1, Oct 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Oct 20, 2013

I don't work in LAUSD.

With regards to the economic crisis, I think we had it pretty good compared to most other fields. Those teachers were not fired, they were pink slipped, which is quite different.

2. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Oct 20, 2013

I think the "teaching isn't stressful" debate is VERY subjective. I think a lot of the stress factor depends on your administration (supportive vs. not), your curriculum (freedom vs. "teach to the test"), colleagues (supportive vs. competitive), your community (supportive vs. lynch mob), the parents (understanding vs. enemy #1), the students themselves (intrinsically motivated vs. gang members/drug users)....the list goes on. And what is "stressful" to one person may be a "blip" on another's radar. It's all very subjective.

What I do know is that everyone here puts so much effort, thought, and time into being a teacher. I know everyone works their butt off. Regardless of whether you feel the heat or not, we're all doing what's best for kids and doing what it takes to see success. Instead of arguing about who has the most stressful teaching experience and who doesn't, just know that we ALL are awesome people who can handle any stress in the name of helping kids! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2013
  3. Ted

Ted Habitué

Oct 20, 2013

I'm also learning that there are some (many?) on this forum who feel that "subjective" isn't that "subjective". :) (Translation: "My way is the right way. End of story.")

4. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Oct 20, 2013

I'm both a working parent and a teacher. Both are very stressful at times.

:dizzy:

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 20, 2013

Let's keep the discussion to the topic at hand, please.

6. Ted

Ted Habitué

Oct 20, 2013

As I said to somebody via PM -

In my job, stress comes in hills and valleys. There might be many weeks when things are smooth sailing, but then a parent's email may be thrown into the works, and the stress level goes up...even if by just a little.

Or, I can tell you that at my school, with the advent of Common Core, our staff meetings have been a lot more fiery-emotional than before CCSS. For us, it's been determined that it's the "unknown" as well as insufficient communication.

7. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 20, 2013

I love teaching. I cannot imagine doing anything else. My job, though, is definitely stressful. I do not have tenure and even when/if I eventually do, my workload will not lighten. I spend a bare minimum of 8 hours at school every day - usually it's significantly more than that. I work right through my lunch, and hardly ever get to use a bathroom during the day. I ALWAYS take work home and I always work several hours over the weekends. I feel like there's always a deadline speeding towards me - lesson plans, IEPs, DRAs, progress reports, assessments...However, I will say that I don't find teaching itself very stressful - usually!

Even though my principal and dir. of sp. services have been very positive about my work, I never feel secure. I was already RIF'd from one district and non renewed from another because my principal just decided to get rid of all non-tenured teachers, even the ones with great evals (me). I had 100% of my resource room students pass the state test and I was still let go for reasons I'll never understand. So do I feel stress about my job security? You betcha!

It's hard for me to compare the stress of teaching to other professions. I used to work in marketing and PR. That got stressful at times. In HS and college I worked in retail. Try working the last big sale before Xmas if you want stress! So yes, there are a lot of stressful jobs. Teaching is definitely one of them.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 20, 2013

Honestly, the most stressful job I've ever had or been exposed to didn't even make the list. I spent a week riding shotgun with a very skilled and experienced truck driver and the stress I experienced just watching that man drive was more intense than any stress I've ever had in any of my jobs. Those guys have to deal with more bull than you can imagine, operating an 80,000 pound vehicle capable of killing dozens of people instantly while maneuvering around 4-wheelers who think nothing of cutting them off without enough space to even react, let alone stop, among other stupid things. Not to mention pressure from shippers, receivers, bosses and various federal regulations that are making it harder and harder to do their jobs.

That being said, teachers do have a stressful job. Some environments are more stressful than others, but like any job, if you love what you do, it mitigates that stress substantially.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2013

If you don't like this "Top Ten" list of stressful jobs, just google and find one you do like. ;)

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 20, 2013

Where's the like button when you need it? :lol:

11. Ted

Ted Habitué

Oct 20, 2013

I didn't see "A to Z forum moderator" on the list, but I would reckon it should be at times. ;) :lol:

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Oct 20, 2013

While I do think teaching is stressful, some days very, very stressful, I think there are plenty of other jobs more stressful than teaching. And as far as googling other top 10 lists, I did, and teaching does not make it on any of the other lists I saw, nor does working parent. Though I do agree both are stressful.

13. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 20, 2013

I really think the "stressfulness" of a job depends on the person themselves almost as much as the job. I am way more relaxed than a lot of my coworkers because that's the type of person I am. Do I have stressful days? Of course! But not nearly as many as other teachers at my same school.

Now of course when a job requires putting your life on the line, that's stressful no matter how chill you are.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2013

I agree. I work with a woman who is probably going to give herself a stroke by the time she turns 30 because she is just always so stressed about every little thing. I don't have that experience, even though we teach the same students (like, actually the same students: we share about 2/3 of our students with each other) and work at the same school.

15. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Oct 20, 2013

I'm curious what the suicide rate is for teachers in the US

Teaching and education are recognized as among the most stressful occupations in the UK, with rates of suicide running at a third above that of the national population. In the last decade, between 35 and 63 teachers have killed themselves each year.

According to the Health and Safety Executive, teaching and education professions report 2,340 cases of work-related stress for every 100,000 employees each year, with only nursing having a worse record. The national industry average is 1,220 cases per 100,000 each year, with carpenters and skilled builders having just 580 cases.

The latest figures from the DfE show that teachers on average each took 4.5 days off for sickness in the 2011-2012 academic year, with 55% of all teachers in state schools taking at least one period of sick leave. In total 2.2m working days were lost to teachers' sickness absence.

*Here's the article that this excerpt came from: http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/may/01/headteacher-kills-herself

16. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 20, 2013

I can think of five in the last five years...but I know of at least four in the years prior to that. I can think of two in the last two years.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2013

I disagree with the list as well.

I think that in SOME schools, teaching is incredibly stressful. Some of you guys write about things that boggle my mind. But for me?? Nope, not at all stressful on a typical day. I agree that part of that is enviornment and that part of it is related to personality.

I think it's telling that "Working parent" is number one on the list. I don't know whether it would be number one on my list, but part of that depends on the other half-- what your "day job" is. But I do think that being a working parent brings stresses that others don't realize. The balancing act that comes in being a working parent is far, far more stressful for me than simply teaching.

For example, my 10 year old has the 2nd of 4 "half days" tomorrow. (The quotes are because she gets out at 10:45-- that's certainly NOT half a full day!!!!) So it's yet another day of trying to get someone to get her off the bus and keep an eye on her for 4 hours in the middle of the day. (Part of the issue is mine; I had completely forgotten this one. But it would have been hard no matter when I remembered.) It would be lovely to take the day off and be there at the bus stop at 10:50, but I have a full time job. And I want to save any days I take for days when either one of my 3 kids or I are too ill to go in, or when my 84 year old mom needs my help.

Another example: last week my son is pretty sure he failed a math test. He had come home the night before with lots of questions he wanted to go over with me, but I had to be back at work at 7-- I was only home long enough to order a pizza and check in with each of the kids.

It's a tough balancing act. I can't begin to imagine how single working parents manage it all.

18. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Oct 21, 2013

While teaching is not stress free.... I do think that my job at least is a lot less stressful than a lot of other professions. I do work in a very good school where the administration gives us a lot of freedom to teach how we want. They trust us and do not need micromanage us at all. If they didn't think we could do the job, they would not have hired us.

19. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Oct 21, 2013

Teacherguy,
    The school you are describing sounds exactly like the one I worked at 1999-2003. It was a "site-based" school where you had to be interviewed and voted on by the faculty and administration to guarantee a "good fit".

Then the principal changed and it was all downhill from there. If my school was like your school, I'd teach until I was 70!

Steve

20. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 21, 2013

I believe that any of those jobs on the list are as stressful as an individual makes them. This year, I am more stressed with the pressures of implementing new curriculum standards, a new evaluation system, and a ton more paper work for "Race to the Top". Has teaching always been this stressful for me? No. A lot depends on the class I have.
    On that note, I have known doctors, nurses, pilots, etc. who are very stressed, and others who are not. Again, it depends on the individual.
    I think giving "working parents" the number one spot is strange. In the large scheme of things, the majority of Americans are working parents.

21. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 21, 2013

I´m expected to teach little kids to read and write. You better believe that is stressful. I have to track data, plan interventions and lessons that correspond with that data, and then track what comes out of those interventions and additional lessons. That´s stressful. I also have to keep personal goals, create a plan for me to make my goal (everyone is required to do this, I am not alone in that), show evidence of how I am meeting that personal goal, and then report that to my P. I also have parents who are entrusting me with their precious ones. Every decision I make in the classroom extends from the classroom and affects parents. That is stressful. I am responsible for teaching 21 little students important concepts and skills while assisting and guiding them in becoming analytical, creative and purposeful learners. This is no light task. I think anyone who takes this seriously (because this is serious business we are involved in) cannot help but to feel the stress generated by the work we do.

22. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 21, 2013

So what is our definition of "stress"?

Deadlines? Name a profession that does not have some form of deadline.

Paperwork? Most professions have some sort of record keeping, or paperwork.

People counting on you? Doctors, nurses, lawyers, bankers, business owners, and yes-teachers, all have people who depend on them. If any of those professions make a mistake, people are affected.

Decision making? Any profession with any degree of autonomy has to make decisions. Daily. Hourly. Minute by minute. Decisions that impact others.

I was a teacher for 7 years, in education for my entire career, and YES, I was stressed at times. But #4 on a list that includes miners, pilots, and soldiers? Ah, no.

It's not degrading to the profession of teaching by saying it's not a stressful job. There is stress-but I could not in good faith say that EVERY day that I went to work was stressful. A deployed soldier is (presumably) under stress EVERY day. An EMT's EVERY call is (presumably) stressful. EVERY time a miner goes into a mine is (presumably) stressful.

In my opinion, it's lists like this that continue to paint teachers as whiny, demanding babies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.