Tooting My Horn (I'm Proud of my Work)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cutNglue, Dec 14, 2008.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 14, 2008

I'm teaching an aide PLC (professional learning community). We recently had a workshop on Multiple Intelligences. I just compiled all their work and my research and made notecards to put on a ring for aides to carry. It's my gift to them for all their hard work.

For each of the intelligences we came up with 6-10 simple ideas for aides to carry out. I made a PP file with 6 notecards (size of about a half of an index card). They are color coded with a picture for each intelligence group. My husband will be printing them on card stock paper for me to cut out and put on rings. It'll be our own reference (suggestions). I'm going to include a few blank ones for them to put new ideas on. These suggestions are merely part of a starter kit.

I'm happy. :D

Now I gotta work on my next workshop due on Thursday. It will be a brief exposure to special needs (sensitivity and awareness). We will be watching 5 minutes of Rick Lavoie's FAT City Workshop (Frustration, Anxiety, Tension) video. It is a simulation he does to make adults feel what it feels like to have a learning disability. It is AWESOME! I may make them wear dark sunglasses with vaseline and something itchy and uncomfortable too. I haven't decided.

Any suggestions????

3. janine

janine New Member

Dec 14, 2008

You could reinforce the concept of differentiation for all learners (special needs, gifted, etc.) by showing that "one size does not fit all" and that our job is to tailor the teaching and learning to the individual. Maybe have a really large jacket for someone to wear while they are trying to complete a task and a really small jacket for another...they could see what a day might feel like if things "didn't fit" for you as a learner.

Another simulation- try doing cursive or a maze only using the refletion of the paper in a mirror. It's hard to get your brain to adjust to the mirror image as you work!

4. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2008

I suggest you share the PP file with us :p

5. ms_teacher

ms_teacher Companion

Dec 14, 2008

I second Rockguykev's suggestion!!

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 14, 2008

PM me! I'm on a roll today! Lol!

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 14, 2008

I only have 30 minutes and this group has some aides that need more time than others. Here's what I have so far....

The title: "We Teach the Whole Child"

It's Not Just About Academics! (other areas that affect the child: home life, academic and/or cognitive delay, developmental stages, additional disabilities (all are deaf), self-esteem, and staff and peer attitudes.

How Difficult Can It Be? (FAT City Workshop video) (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!) (I'm only showing 6 minutes and I expect there will be a discussion).

Experiments: Vaseline Covered Glasses and something itchy (any suggestions?) while they read a garbled reading passage under timed conditions (I'm not telling them that part). I love the maze and a mirror. I think I will bring that just in case I need more. Excellent!

BRIEF Introduction to Piaget's Theory of Development (stages): I will then see who is familiar with it and potentially do a followup workshop on this concept after the winter break).

Closed with a discussion (if time permits) and a reminder that We Teach the Whole Child. Not everything is visible or known to us. Sensitivity and awareness is crucial.

It's a fun workshop but I worry sometimes that I'm teaching stuff that is redundant (ie, nothing new). Some aides really do benefit from it and others have a Master's degree. It's a challenge. I'm picking topics I see in Aide trainings. I'm not really making the topics up from scratch but it isn't new to me and while it might be fun, I don't want to waste their entire year.

At the end of the last workshop though they asked me to contact someone (hinted that I contact the union) and explain that they felt we need more job clarity. (We don't have a handbook and there are no national guidelines on what aides can/can't do..only suggested guidelines on roles).

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 14, 2008

PM for you!

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 14, 2008

THe highlight really is the video. That video really was a "woah" moment for me last year when it was played during my college class.

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 14, 2008

It sounds like it will be a great presentation!!

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 14, 2008

Currently I'm working on my supplemental handouts. I have some excerpts on definitions of some common disabilities, general characteristics and general teaching strategies (3-4 per disability) that I am copying from another aide handbook. I have some practical tips I'm picking and choosing from the same handbook.

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 14, 2008

I swear I use this place as a think out loud place. Lol. I am currently making handouts about Learning Disabilities. I found an excellent model this summer.

http://www.ldanatl.org/aboutld/teachers/understanding/types.asp
    It describes where the problems could occur
    1. Input (getting it in)
    2. Integration (making sense of it (3 steps))
    3. Memory (Storing and Retrieving- 3 types)
    4. Output (getting it back out)

It is explained so well on this website that I found it a much clear picture than the one IDEA provides (difficulties with reading, writing, etc.). How generic is that?!