Too Young For First Grade

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by mrsfirstgrade, Sep 11, 2007.

1. mrsfirstgrade

mrsfirstgrade New Member

Sep 11, 2007

I have two boys in my class who just turned 6 in July. They each have their own unique personalities and learning styles. However, they are very similar when it comes to their behavior. As you may have guessed, they are very inmature. They yell out answers, get out of their seats, speak out loud at inappropriate times, and they are constantly making noise. This is not the first time I have had this type of student in my ten years of teaching first grade. However it has been quite awhile since I have seen two together with such similar behavior. Both parents have been contacted. I may have some support for now, but I don't think it will last. One of the boys told my "Now see what you have done. You got me grounded because you called my mom" Of course, I responded that he is the one who chose his poor behavior. He also told me flat out "NO" twice today. He has also said "I am a six year old boy and that's what six year olds do." I wonder where he heard that?
    Any suggestions? :help:

3. hope037

hope037 Rookie

Sep 11, 2007

Ooo, let me know how you solve this because I have a similar problem with very immature kids in my class.

The other kids take their cues from them and so it has weakened the positive behavior of the others. Two clearly are oppositional, refusing to do what everyone else is doing. The third is so immature that she cries and clings to me constantly, hides under her desk, and plain does whatever she wants. When I point her in the right direction, she wails and wails. The other kids are tired of hearing her.

I'm a first year teacher and I'm questioning whether teaching is for me after all. Teaching in the public classroom (or private, for that matter) is like being a ringmaster of a three-ring circus. All of my procedures and management plans are in place (and working for most students) but for these three, the plans just don't matter. I understand that they may need individual behavior contracts but sheesh. I don't feel like a teacher but a combination of a cop and a rehabilitator/counselor.

I have to tell you that I love the kids, but I don't like this job.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2007

Hope, don't give up just yet!! A lot of first year teachers question about whether teaching is for them. You will be surprised what your students accomplish at the end of the year. And just remember that not all classes are going to be this way. I think you just happen to have 3 very young kiddos in your room this year. I did my first year and they about drove me crazy, but last year was a lot better.

Just be consistant with them. They will learn that they can't get away with stuff.

5. hope037

hope037 Rookie

Sep 12, 2007

Thank you for saying that, smalltowngal. I really needed to hear that...

Today was a better day. :)

I'll wait to see what the coming year brings.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 12, 2007

Our kinders don't have to turn 5 until the end of Feb or beginning of March (I can't remember which) in order to be enrolled in kindergarten, so we get a lot of 4 year olds...

7. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 12, 2007

Both of you guys, Hope and MrsFirstgrade, we have ALL been there!!! One year I had one who cried for 2 months. Counselor was involved, parent was very weird and hovered at the door most days not willing to let go. And those noisy, kind of bratty kids will wear you down! Here is what I've learned to do. I put them apart from the others kind of close to my teaching desk, one on each side if you have to. They can't bother very many that way & you have them under your thumb. I put a strip of paper bears taped to their desk and I rip one off every time they do the behavior I'm trying to extinguish. "Oops, you got out of your seat again, I'll have to take one bear then. Try hard to keep those bears honey!" And just look sad and act like you are really rooting for them. Then wait 10 minutes and if they've been in their seat, just rave to them, "Wow, you are doing it, look at you! I'm very proud of your new staying in your seat behavior, I think you'll have a few bears left today to go to the treasure box!" or whatever bribe you've devised. This works pretty good for awhile. Then move on to behavior number 2 when you think its gotten better. If they have a bear by day's end they get a reward. I'd start with 6 or 7 bears.

The cryer I don't know about. I've had them calm down in a week and I've had them go on and on milking it. Some brought picture of mom and taped it to desk or stuffed animal. I don't know how great this is but my counselor suggested it. I just try to get close to them and do what any mom would do, comfort them, listen to their worries. But sometimes, it just takes time, lots of time.

When kids don't do any work, try using those colored dot stickers and say "You can take these 3 dots and cover 3 math problems when you have done this first line of them. It works well. Use the same principal with writing. You can do XYZ (fun thing or treat) after you have copied this sentence I have written down for you.
    Bribe for bribe type thing. If nothing still gets done I keep them in at recess. "Oh so sorry you have to do your work when everyone else is relaxing. You were relaxing while everyone else worked, so now you must do your work, insteaad of relaxing, that's too bad." They will get it very soon that it's better to get down to business. Always use a voice that says, "I'm so sorry this is happening to you" like you are still their friend, but that rules are rules. My feeling about getting parents involved is that not so great parenting got them behaving this way, they are not going to be a great help. Take charge yourself. You can do it!!! Good luck. ;)

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 12, 2007

And I thought it was bad I had 3 four yr olds in my class, and three others that were born in July and August.

9. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2007

I have two 5 year old first graders, most are 6 and I have one 7 year old. They are YOUNG... eeek!

10. hope037

hope037 Rookie

Sep 12, 2007

Omigosh, Patti, those are terrific strategies! I can't wait to try them. Question: Do you use the bear strips on every desk or is this a behavior contract thing for one kid?

I'm glad you reminded me to be on their side. I had started to use a stern voice too much there. The fact is, I really AM on their side. It really makes me sad when they can't control themselves or when they break rules.

I was worried that I was being too compassionate and coddling.

You guys really made me feel better about teaching. It's so good to hear about other trying experiences so I know that it's just part of the job.

Maybe I can do this after all. :)

11. Olivesmom

Olivesmom Rookie

Sep 18, 2007

I know how you all feel however I have about 4 boys who break down and cry while lying on the floor refusing to get up. I have two girls who cannot stay in their seats. I am very frustrated. I have contacted parents but the strategy seems to be to "give a good whoopin" to resolve the problem. I am getting no teaching done and we can barely make it down the hall. All of my 25 kids are 6 and very immature. Not sure when we are going to learn how to read!!!