Too old to trick or treat?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by silverspoon65, Oct 29, 2010.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 29, 2010

Some of my high school kids are trick or treating in my town tonight (And did in their town last night). How old is too old for trick or treating? I think I stopped in 8th or 9th grade.

I don't really care as long as they have a costume on. If they are willing to dress up and put effort into it, I don't mind giving candy.

On the other hand, if an older kid walks up with no costume and no attempt at all, they are probably getting like 1 dum dum, as opposed to the generous handful I usually give. lol.

3. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Oct 29, 2010

6th grade was my last year. I'm OK with 7th or 8th graders but I think HS age is too old.

4. glen

glen Companion

Oct 29, 2010

I agree. My sons, both in high school, stopped on their own. My younger one last trick-or-treated in the fourth grade, the older one was 7th grade. The younger one never really enjoyed it- he seemed to always be sick on Halloween and would rather have stayed home.

5. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 29, 2010

I think that when you're old enough to date, you're too old for a kids' holiday like trick or treat. When you're dating, have Halloween parties and dress up and have fun but don't hog my kiddie candy. I had a pair of older kids who jumped out of a van (my neighborhood is very walkable) and then just had orange t shirts on. They got 1 piece of candy only.

6. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Oct 29, 2010

I stopped in Middle School and even then was wondering if I was really going to go or not. I remember one neighbor asking me if I thought I was too old to trick or treat so that spoiled the fun I was trying to have as a kid! I think Elementary and younger is fine.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2010

I had this conversation with a few grade 9 students today. For me, if the kids have made an attempt at a costume and are polite, I don't mind giving them candy. My daughter stopped after grade 9.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 29, 2010

My family & I don't celebrate Halloween, but when I was a child, my parents took me trick-or-treating once or twice. I actually don't think I went door-to-door w/ my parents after I was age 3 or 4. I stopped dressing up at in 8th gr. I stopped handing out candy to others in 9th or 10th gr.

I personally think high schoolers are too old, not that I wouldn't give them candy, but I've stopped giving candy yrs ago, so I don't have to worry about it. It's just another excuse to hang out w/ friends. I don't think it's about the candy. They're old enough to buy their own any day.

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 29, 2010

I went until the 9th grade. I hand out candy to anyone who dresses up. If a child shows up with a parent dressed in a costume, I usually give them extra candy for their parent:)

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2010

Kids who are trick or treating, with or without costumes, are kids who are not egging. They're not spraying shaving cream on your car. They're not sitting on a street corner drinking.

They're asking for candy on a night when you have candy to give out. Candy that, in all probability, would be a lot better off in their hips than mine.

I happily give candy to anyone who rings the bell, with or without a costume.

11. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 29, 2010

I went one year in college with a group of people for fun, but before that I probably stopped at about 12 or 13.

12. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Oct 30, 2010

I don't remember when I stopped, I want to say 12. But I think it's ok til like 15 or so. Like some of you said, if they're in costume, who cares...I'll give them candy.

13. Pookie

Pookie Rookie

Oct 30, 2010

I was 17 the last time I went. Since 18 is the age where you become and adult and get adult rights, I was still a child and deserved at least the benefits of being a child since I was too young for benefits of being an adult. I dressed up every year and never had anyone say anything about it. Trick or treating is kinda dying where I live and I wasn't really taking away from little kids, many of the houses told me they weren't getting many kids and to take handfuls because they didn't want it.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 30, 2010

I would never turn away a kid in costume because I thought he was "too old". Heck, if the kid is dressed up I probably woudln't be able to tell how old he/she really is anyway. If they are not causing any mischief then I say let them have fun.

15. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2010

I got a bushel basket and filled it with candy. We have so much left it is ridiculous. I WISH I had more kids come by. As it is, everyone got huge handfuls. I had a few boys come by and I said, here, I will hold your bag. You take both hands and take the biggest handful you can. They thought that was cool. I heard one kid say "I like that lady. She was nice," as he walked away.

And I still have about 2/3 of a bushel left. Guess I will take it to school. lol.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 30, 2010

After 4 years in a row of no trick or treaters I'm not going to bother buying candy. I know there are kids up the street! I wish they would come!

17. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Oct 30, 2010

I don't care how old they are either, I have tons of candy, and like to see all the kids. My husband tortures the "big kids" who come without costume - asking them who the are dressed as, reminding them to say thank you and all that but still dumps a handful into their buckets. the later is is, too, the more he give them so that we can empty out. And, the later kids get the rejects from my kids, too, they take whatever they get that they do not like, and put it into our give out bucket lol... recycling :)

18. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Oct 30, 2010

I went once in college, so I can't really say anything. Overall though, I hate Halloween and have not passed out candy or walked around for candy in three years. I head to a nice restaurant instead.

19. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Oct 30, 2010

Maybe, maybe not. Who's to say those trick or treating teenagers don't have a stash of shaving cream or eggs in their car?

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2010

Who's to say ANYONE doesn't??
    I deal with teenagers every day. I tend to like them and not think the worst of them until the evidence is before me.

I've never, ever had a problem on Halloween.

21. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Oct 30, 2010

So true and good for you. I haven't experienced any issues on Halloween either and I have never denied anyone a treat that shows up at my door though I maintain that HS age is too old. I don't think the worst of teenagers so don't put words in my mouth. I happen to be very fond of all children and am the mother of teenagers myself. I am pretty sure that any mischeif that does occur on Halloween isn't caused by a preteen trick or treating with their parents.

For the record, you brought up the subject. I simply responded with my opinion. I am still entiitled to one aren't I?

22. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 30, 2010

I stopped going after 6th grade. I started going again in HS to bring my little sister. It was a lot more fun dressing up with her and watching her get the candy. She is 12.5 yrs younger then I am.

23. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 30, 2010

I also had to be the "big sister" and take my brother and sister out. I think the last year I had my own trick or treat bag was in 8th grade (my friend's father dressed up like a turtle and took us all out LOL). After that I still went out but didn't dress up and just let them get candy.

25. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Oct 30, 2010

If they are dressed up then why not? Once they become an adult they can't go trick-or-treating for themselves anymore so why not savor it now? Kids grow up too fast anyway

26. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2010

Exactly--we worry when they act older than their years, but begrudge letting them stay kids.

27. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2010

Seriously? We have to turn an innocent fun thread into something else?

28. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2010

I agree with ya, Alice. Awww, they're bold enough to ask for candy, let's just give it to them. Everyone loves candy! :)

29. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 31, 2010

The people in that article are ridiculous. If the "little old ladies and single moms" are scared of big kids then they don't have to open the door. Geez.

30. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 31, 2010

I just watched a special on the "real" story of Halloween. I didn't realize just how new a tradition trick or treating really is! It seems that the tradition originated for exactly the reasons Alice states: to keep kids, and particularly older kids, from being destructive and getting in trouble. I love Halloween. It's the only holiday that's pure fun. I don't care how old or young the person at my door is. As long as they're not being rude, they're not going to get any flack from me.

31. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Oct 31, 2010

I agree with Alice too. If they are okay with going to the door, I'm okay givin them some candy. I have it... so why not? Someone earlier posted it was just an excuse to hang out with their friends, but my thought is... of course it is. What's wrong with that? They aren't doing anything bad, we are giving away free candy! Just because you are old enough to buy candy doesn't mean you have the money to buy it.

32. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 31, 2010

When are you too old? NEVER !! I'm 29 (and holding, holding....:lol:), and I would go TorTing now, if I could find another adult willing to go with me. I fix the little halloween bags for TorTers, and I love to see the look on the adults' faces when I hand them one :rofl:

33. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Oct 31, 2010

mm, I also saw the History channel doc. on Halloween. It was very interesting. I knew Halloween didn't have a 'dark' beginning, and it was so interesting to see how it got this way.

We had an adult trick or treater had to be in her 30's. Oh well, no biggie, there was plenty of candy to go around. We usually get high schoolers too, didn't see many this year.