Too much time on my hands

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 7, 2014

So I was at a district meeting where we had to share out what we do in our classrooms to teach a certain scientific framework. I met with the teacher who used to teach in my classroom (she didn't like our school and wanted to go back to her old one). Anyway, I had a lot to share, because I put a lot of thought into how I teach this framework because I believe it to be an important scientific frame of mind.

The comments by her were along the lines of: "You have a lot of free time."

Which then caused the other teachers to ask if I was only part-time, etc.

I just found this really annoying. Does this ever happen to you where you put a lot of work into your practice and it's belittled by other teachers? And does it annoy you as much as it does me?

I mean, we have the same amount of time, I just use mine better.

3. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Feb 7, 2014

Yes, and that is the crux of the issue, some people are FAR more efficient workers than others, yet the less efficient workers will NEVER admit it, they always think something else is up.

Myself and several other teachers have basically been told to our faces that our test scores(900s) in california is not achievable(where we work) and that we should be watched....we are cheating. AKA..since they cannot do it, it simply is not possible unless something nefarious is going on.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 7, 2014

That was obnoxious of the teacher you replaced. She's lashing out because you're innovating where she gave up. Your answer could have been, "I'm very busy, but I'm trying to be smart with my time."

5. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Feb 7, 2014

I get the "well, your stuff is good because you're single" comment a lot. "You'll see when you have kids" and other annoying stuff like that.

6. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Feb 7, 2014

I'm sorry to hear that happened. Just know that you are a great teacher for doing all that you do! Some people just like to ride on the coat tails of others. They don't understand , nor care how much is put into the extra "stuff" that is done. We are underappreciated/unrespected as a profession.

I was accused that my students must have guessed on Accelerated Reader because of the high number of points we received in a particular year.

I never received praise for taking a problem student (stealing)/ poor reader (AIS) to encouraging him to be the second higest point earner in the school, or for challenging these kid by showing and tracking the points daily, or creating friendly competition. The kids were so proud of themselves, but they never received any praise from the P.

Instead I was put down because of it! I hate this @#$!%^! No good deed goes unpunished.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 7, 2014

I used to get lots of comments about having time because I was single. When I was married, it was because I didn't have kids. Now it's both. Sometimes I'm feeling snarky and tell people it's just because I'm good at my job.

8. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Feb 7, 2014

Ditto! Peregrin, it sounds to me like there could be a bit of jealousy or unhappiness on the other teacher's part. Keep doing a great job.

9. amethyst

amethyst Companion

Feb 7, 2014

Those are not really constructive comments are they? Very unprofessional! I think it's only natural for other teachers to feel that way, but they should definitely not be saying that you!

10. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Feb 7, 2014

I'm not married and have no kids, so I get those comments a lot but they don't bother me. I believe its a fair assessment; if I had a husband or children, I WOULD have less time for work. Is what it is.

I just don't let these people make me feel guilty.

11. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 7, 2014

I have a lot less time to give to my classroom than I would without the significant other and daughter. That's not a slight to anybody with/without kids. It's just reality.

12. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Feb 7, 2014

Exactly. When people have more outside responsibilities, work (especially the "extras") will sometime have to take a backseat. It just is what it is.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2014

Peregrine...how did you respond to her rude comment?

14. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Feb 7, 2014

I don't think this is the issue. I think the issue was putting down the person who DID have the time. The person without the time had no business trying to justify why they can't do it.

15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 7, 2014

:) this just means that you're a great teacher and they were being threatened by you. I know it sounded rude of them, but take it as a compliment.

16. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Feb 7, 2014

This x1000.

17. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 7, 2014

I mostly ignored it and laughed. To the person who asked if I was part-time, I said no, it's just that I spend a lot of my time figuring out how to save more time so I have more time to do stuff like that.

18. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 7, 2014

I've gotten this before too, especially at my first school where I was literally the only staff member without children. The annoying part is I really don't spend copious amounts of time on work outside of work. I'm just very efficient and I can work quickly.

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 7, 2014

Excellent comeback, and a much kinder one than I would have spat out.

20. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Feb 7, 2014

I see. I guess I just couldn't care less about my colleagues' rude comments unless they are affecting my evaluation/paycheck. Comments like these don't bother me.

21. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 7, 2014

But you don't know what type of responsibilities a teacher who is single with no children has.

I do not have children, but I do a lot of volunteer work outside of school and I teach religious education. I probably won't do all of this when I do have children, but it doesn't necessarily mean that I will have less time for work.

22. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 7, 2014

A few of my coworkers know that I am looking into adoption.

One teacher (who is also a close friend) said, "Don't expect to be able to spend so much time at work once you have a kid. Also, don't think you're going to come to work perfectly pressed and put-together."

She's a good friend, though, and I value her insight.

23. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Feb 7, 2014

I see your point. I guess for me, family/children comes first even though I am single. I understand when my married co-workers or those with children claim their obligations are more important than my outside activities and that they have less free time. I also understand when they claim they can't do/stay for certain things because of their kids. I actually agree with them.

24. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Feb 8, 2014

If, as a profession, we claim to want the same pay regardless of ability, effort, and results, I shouldn't have to "stay" and take on extra responsibilities that colleagues who have children aren't expected to take on as well. The only way that's ever fair is if I CHOOSE to take on those extra roles because they'll lead to significant compensation increases in the future because I've added value to the school district.

We, apparently, insist on this not being the case, so the same should be expected of those with children as those without.

25. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Feb 8, 2014

Those comments irk me. Usually when I'm being asked to take on something extra than no one else can do because they have kids. Kids are great. I want to have some of my own. But it doesn't mean that I don't have other family obligations aside from children.

Plus, I work with some seriously awesome teachers who have children, and they do crazy-amazing lessons that I only wish I could come up with.

I don't get why people can't just say, "Hey, that's amazing! Good job!" Without getting all snarky.

26. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Feb 8, 2014

It has been said but I'll back it up - it actually isn't a comment about you at all. It is a comment about the person feeling guilty at least and intimidated at worst and your success.

I hear it all the time from certain people and never from others. One of my colleagues has two kids, lives an hour away and had a wife who was basically immobile for a full year and he never once says a word about it to anyone. Does he miss a few school night events? Yep. He's never made an excuse for it, never put anyone down for it, he just lives his life.

I respect him far more even if he does a little less. He's still the teacher I want to be when I grow up.

27. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 8, 2014

I agree. This is happening to me more and more. When I first started at my school pretty much every teacher was single. Now many teachers are married or engaged and some have had babies. I'm not expecting any of them to put their job before their families or their relationships but I'm tired of being put down because I'm not at that point my life right now.

28. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 8, 2014

Teachers should make no references to others' lifestyle when it comes to doing the job. We're hired to do the job (don't want to say same, but similar, right) and whatever we have to deal with at home is our business.
    If someone is single, and is preparing for the marathon, are his trainings less important then me having to deal with my child? No. Who are these people to make these judgements??

29. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Feb 8, 2014

I understand that people who are married with children have less time to work in school stuff, but it's unfair to assume that because I'm single I have more time than they do. My time isn't going toward children, but I do have other interests and responsibilities. What really gets me is when coworkers and administration expect me to do extra duties that they do ask married teachers to do. I don't have kids, but that doesn't mean I want to spend my entire life at school.

30. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 8, 2014

I just take it as a compliment.

31. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 9, 2014

This was my thought as well. I know some teachers with 2nd jobs they go to at night or classes for Masters degrees. There are some teachers who aren't married with no kids who are not effective teachers. I know someone who is married with 4 kids who does it all-never been late for a deadline. She's very organized and often spends a few hours after the kids go to bed working on work in the evenings. I don't think it's fair to make a judgment or criticize a teacher based on their circumstances. The implication is we don't have our priorities straight because we care about doing a good job with the students.

32. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 9, 2014

And, you never know how their day is actually being spent. I witnessed a heated discussion at work once about something like this. Two teachers were being compared. One was able to chair this committee and run that activity and still get home before 5pm. The other said she couldn't take on an additional responsibility because she had too much on her plate at the time. The one that claimed efficiency showed videos to her students every.single.day. 15 minutes for three classes a day every day adds up to a whole bunch of extra time for paperwork.

33. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Feb 9, 2014

Yep. I get that all the time. At least once a week. And only from certain teachers :rolleyes: