Too much info, but if you suffer from IBS ...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ku_alum, Jul 27, 2009.

1. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 27, 2009

For 2 years I have dealt with IBS symptoms (mine is strictly D, often urgent ... I've never had C).

For the last 2 months I have been taking a calcium supplement recommended by my women's health doc. This had nothing to do with my suspected IBS.

It has cleared up my D completely.

I can't believe the solution was so simple for me.

3. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 27, 2009

WOW! I might have to think about that! I have dealt with symptoms for awhile and the doctors can't figure it out.

How much calcium do you take?

4. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 27, 2009

Pardon my ignorance, but what are "C" and "D"? Thanks. :)

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2009

I'm guessing constipation and diarrhea.

6. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Jul 27, 2009

I have no idea what I suffer from but it seems like the weirdest things set off my stomach.. I get the D. lol. I started taking align 3 weeks ago and it has helped so much. I find it expensive ($30) for a month's supply but it has made a tremendous difference in my stomach episodes.

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

I used to be so (ahem) gassy - it seemed like everything I ate would give me gas. I was taking some antibiotics that warned they could be hard on the intestinal tract and decided to try Align to try to avoid that problem. The difference in gassiness has been astounding! I just don't have the problem now. At Costco it's about $38 for a seven-week supply; definitely worth the money!

8. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jul 27, 2009

What is the active ingredient in Align? Might it be the same as in the Activia yogurt? That is advertised as helping those problems!

9. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 27, 2009

Thank you!

I suffer from IBS as part of my fibromyalgia. Anxiety aggravates it too. I'll look into Calcium supplements -- thanks, ku_alum!

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 27, 2009

Sorry, Blindteacher. I thought of you when I just used "C" and "D" in the original post, but I just couldn't get myself to type the D word.

I take 600 mg of calcium a day. I can take up to 1800 mg, but I started with the lowest dose. I was reading online to see if Calcium helped with other people's D and there are several reports backing up the claim. Sites warn to stay away from calcium that has the addition of magnesium as magnesium will make D worse. Accoriding to online info, calcium that is not absorbed by the body for bones goes to the intestinal tract and acts as a binding compound of sorts.

Whatever calcium does I am very happy about it!

11. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

blindteacher, I have fibro too and used to have IBS problems. I've been taking calcium for quite a while, and I haven't had problems for quite a while, but I never made that connection!

12. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 27, 2009

That's all right. Thanks for explaining. :)

Thank you for this additional information. I will look for calcium without magnesium.

I take a host of vitamins for my FMS/CFS. Guess I'll have to add this to the list! :lol:

13. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 27, 2009

I'm sorry to hear you suffer from fibromyalgia as well. I'm glad to hear the calcium helped with your IBS, though.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 27, 2009

I used to have severe C immediately following my second child's birth and lasting for years up until I had my 3rd child. Now I alternate but I have more moments of relief than constant severe pain like I used to have.

15. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 27, 2009

It's awful having health problems, I so sorry you all suffer too.

I suffer with stomach problems which also results in C or D, and perpetual stomach pain- it hurts my stomach to drink water.

My sister (CRNA) suggested I take Calcium but I've also had a huge kidney stone in the past. If you take any type of extra calcium please be warned they are a major component for manufacturing stones - dehydration is the number one cause. I chose not to take the supplement because I can't drink enough water to dilute the calcium. I'm still tempted to try it tough.

16. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Jul 27, 2009

We don't have a costco around here but we do have Sam's. I'll have to check there next time I go. I'd rather pay the money than deal with my stomach!

17. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

I have Crohn's disease and am really getting hit badly right now. I have a ct scan set up for next week and then a colonoscopy right before school starts. Blech.

I feel for you guys who suffer through this. But, you really should see a doctor who can prescribe medication. The cause of all of the pain and problems is most likely some sort of inflammation and until you treat the inflammation it doesn't really go away. Have any of you seen a GI doctor?

18. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2009

Sorry - I hope that people diagnosed with IBS aren't offended, and maybe someone will be able to relate some stories that change my mind, but I think IBS is total bunk.

I would say literally 75% of the people I know have been diagnosed with IBS, including myself. Every single one of us found that if we eat lower fat, less processed, less spicy or tomatoey foods, it gets better. And if we want to eat something like that, then we expect that it will upset our stomach. Because that is what it is - an upset stomach. In the cases I have seen something more serious than that, the person actually had a more serious condition that the doctor masked by putting the IBS stamp on it. Most people I know who are diagnosed have absolutely no other tests done - "Oh you get stomach cramps and D? Must be IBS" Most people, in my opinion, are just irregular and are not eating correctly.

19. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 28, 2009

Silverspoon,
    You'll notice I used "suspected" in front of IBS when I wrote my post.

20. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2009

I just feel like it is a symptom of something else, not a disease or cause in and of itself. And I feel like too many doctors just stop there.

When I was diagnosed, I was a sophomore in college. Because of privacy issues in my dorm, I didn't "go" when I needed to, so I waited until it was absolutely an emergency. For a year and a half. That can't be good for you. Then because I would have these emergencies, I was worried that I was going to get "sick" in a class or during an exam, so I basically stopped eating everything but rice, dry bagels, applesauce and a couple other things. Well, duh! No wonder I had problems! But the doctor didn't ask any questions about my habits - he just wanted me on meds! I probably needed counseling. Luckily I self-corrected. That wasn't IBS, that was just poor lifestyle habits.

21. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

Silverspoon, I agree that many people have issues related to diet. I even have a special diet that I follow to keep my Crohn's in remission. BUT, I have documented medical information that tells me that my condition is very very real. All of the tests I have scheduled next week to make sure it's still in remission despite my current symptoms are certainly not for the fun of it.

That's why I say, that if anyone is experiencing symptoms like that you really have to see a gastroenterologist to really be diagnosed and get an effective treatment plan. Colitis, Illeitis, Crohns, etc, all involve some sort of inflammation of the large and small intestines. And all involve the symptoms that are described here. Crohn's involves the entire digestive tract. The only way to reduce the inflammation is with medication and rest of the digestive tract, but that's almost impossible to do, so most people go the medication route. Once the inflammation is gone, then remission occurs and can remain with an appropriate diet.

22. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 28, 2009

I also have it and I wish the solution could be that simple! I was told a few years ago not to take calcium supplements b/c I do eat/drink quite a bit and I got kidney stones b/c I was taking calcium tablets. :( Yay to you, though!!

23. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 28, 2009

Silver Spoon, I agree with you that eating well can improve any health condition, and a poor diet can also aggravate any health condition.

I already eat very healthy foods as I find it makes my fibromyalgia symptoms more bearable. IBS is also a part of fibromyalgia -- not because there is anything actually wrong with the digestive process, but because for fibromyalgia patients, what is just normal healthy digestion can feel like IBS. The problem is not in our digestive tracts but in the pain centers of our brain, that are interpreting any and all natural bodily processes as painful.

I just realized that Calcium probably won't help me as a result since there is nothing wrong with my digestion.

Thank you for your input. :)