Too much in January!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by becky, Jan 14, 2009.

1. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2009

How are you all juggling all these January topics- MLK Day, Inauguration Day, Chinese New Year?? Lol- did I forget something??
    It just seems like alot and I'm stressing out.

3. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jan 14, 2009

Don't forget the inauguration! I'm watching that with my classes next week.

4. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2009

Lol- it's in my post!:cool:

5. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jan 14, 2009

Haha, wow it is late. Good thing school is cancelled for tomorrow.

6. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2009

Yep- I'm off after this post.
    I've been searching and saving MLK Day items since 10:00. You might not know I homeschool, and this is the best time for me to search.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2009

Becky, since you have the same student every year, choose ONE this year (and of course the inaugaration makes the most sense) and do another next year. That way you can do a better job with the one you do choose.

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 15, 2009

All this and I'm trying to plan for Ground Hog Day & Valentine's Day. My kids do research papers for Punxsutawney Phil and they make Valentine Day Robots so I've had to give a "heads-up" for my parents.

9. Green_eyed_gal

Green_eyed_gal Comrade

Jan 15, 2009

Ha...We'll talk about the inauguration on the day it happens, but that's about it. Our science fair is this month and I'm barely getting that done in time. With everything else we have to do, I just don't have the time. I may be skipping math on Thursday and Friday to work on our science boards and that's going to be putting me behind.

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

10. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2009

Hoot, tell me about your Valentine robots!

11. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2009

I hear you on trying to keep it all together.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2009

Seriously, how much do you do for Chinese New Year? Read a book, look up your Chinese horoscope...is it even in your curriculum? I have a very diverse student population--Usually an Asian parent will volunteer to share the lunar new year traditions with us.

MLK Day, I hit hard...Read a great biography chapter book aloud over the course of a week, lots of accountable book talk, some writing- launches us into a biography study in reading.

Inauguration day- not planning on doing too much- I'll cover it as current events- make connections to the MLK study- if there had not been MLK, would we have Obama...

I have 1/2 day on Monday for MLK, teachers stay the afternoon for PD. We also were just monitored by the state and I have 2 workshops this month- I'll get it all done though.

Don't stress. Go in depth with the things that intrigue Jeannie, some of it you can cover quickly.

13. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jan 16, 2009

Well, we've never done Chinese New Year. I thought a lesson, craft, and Weekly Reader would be enough.
    Her social studies is all history, so no holidays get covered. Those I have to do myself.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2009

A lesson, craft and Weekly Reader should be enough= Chinese New Year is not a national holiday, it's culturally interesting though.

15. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2009

Yep- and that's what we did Friday. We also made moon cakes, she read a RAZ story about a Chinese boy, and I believe that all sufficed!

16. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jan 18, 2009

Yeah - I can't believe it's almost over. When I get back on the 21st we have 3 days that week then next week and we are done with the month - yikes! Where did it go????

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 19, 2009

I don't teach all of the holidays. As unPC as this sounds, I usually don't mess around with the national holidays much at all. I always spend a day or two talking about the Civil Rights movement and reading the picture book of MLK's "I Have A Dream" speech and we always do something for Veterans Day, but I don't have time to interrupt my curriculum for everything from Flag Day to Groundhog Day to St. Patrick's Day. I would never get through everything that is required of me.

18. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2009

My thinking is, if I do them really well one year, I don't have to do so much with them in years to come. That would especially go for the smaller holidays like the ones you mentioned.