Too many classes?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by SpecialTeacher, Aug 4, 2007.

1. SpecialTeacher

SpecialTeacher Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

I'm a first year teacher and also an intern, so I haven't finished my credential coursework yet. I was planning on taking a full load of four classes this semester but my mentor teacher seemed pretty adamant on me dropping three of them because it would be too stressful. I still have a lot of school left ahead of me and I kind of wanted to get through it as quickly as possible. Am I setting myself up to fail? Last semester I subbed full time and took four classes and I was fine. Of course, having my own classroom is going to be much more work but I thought I could handle it. Am I being naive?

3. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

I suggest taking one course now and see how that works out, and if it is too much then you haven't set yourself up for disaster... if it isn't much, then you know next semester you can handle more classes.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 4, 2007

I think that's great advice.

Last year was my first year teaching and I worked very hard to do the best at my job, but I was at a private school and the curriculum we used makes things VERY easy on the teachers. I could've easily taken a full course load at night. This year is my second year, though, and I'll be teaching in a new school, at a new grade level, and in a new subject area. I know this year is going to involve a tremendous amount of work on my part and I'm worried about taking the one course I need to take in order to get the new teaching license I need. I would feel it out for the first semester and then up the course load next semester if you feel you can.

5. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Aug 4, 2007

I was an intern last year and I finished my coursework w/in the first 2 months of school, which was the most stressful. I think your load needs to be light at least the first semester of teaching so you can get the hang of it. It's a lot more work than anticipated, believe me! Once you get the hang of it maybe you can take more classes in the spring.

6. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 4, 2007

I'd say four is a lot. I know you're eager to finish your program, but as a first year teacher, you will have a lot on your plate already. I'd say to try two and see how it goes.

7. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, keep in mind that as a classroom teacher, you will now be responsible for all the behind-the-scenes stuff....progress reports, report cards, IEPs, SSTs, behavior plans, conferences, etc. As first-year teacher two years ago, I also had numerous mandatory training workshops to attend, many which required "homework" too. That first year was a tough one all by itself!!

8. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2007

I agree with MsWK. Drop it down to two. I am also taking cred. courses this year as I teach. I am enrolled in three this fall but one is on the internet, one is 3 weekends, and one is Thursday nights for 3 hours, so I think it's doable. I finished my bachelors while I was working full time and I have a family. Some people are very good at multi-tasking.

9. SpecialTeacher

SpecialTeacher Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

Thanks for all of your support. I think it's going to be two this semester.