Too late for fall job?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by atxteacher, Jul 18, 2014.

1. atxteacher

atxteacher Rookie

Jul 18, 2014

I take my last certification exam on Monday, I have been applying to all open job listings i find in the surrounding Austin area ISDs. With school starting in a month is it too late for a job? What is the most proactive way to snag an interview other than just filling out applications? Starting to stress out big time..

3. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014

With teaching, other then filling out any job application that you qualify for, is to find the districts that you know are hurting. I don't know Austin or Texas for the matter, so I can't say X district. But there are schools out there that are actively seeking teachers, and I'm guessing there is a district in Austin that is in that book

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2014

I don't know the Texas market, but a month out is not too late!

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2014

Not in Texas either, but I got hired in late July for my first job, and I know others that got hired after me! Definitely keep looking, even if the school year starts and you haven't found anything. My school typically gets about 300 applicants per position. We posted a position in October (we needed an additional teacher because student numbers were very high), and maybe 10 people applied. It took forever for them to find someone because they weren't getting quality applicants. I assume at least some of the people who were previously applying in the summer had just given up. Keep looking no matter how late it gets!

6. atxteacher

atxteacher Rookie

Jul 19, 2014

I will have my Masters in Elementary Ed plus my ESL certification.. I feel like in Austin it is all about who you know.. Could I be e-mailing principals to forward my resume?! 300 per position is CRAZY... makes me worry 300 times more!

7. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 19, 2014

Yes, you should definitely email principals directly. Do not worry about posted openings. I got my first job 2 days before school started, from emailing about my availability.

8. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 19, 2014

I don't think it is too late. I would try directly emailing the principals. Send them you cover letter and resume and introduce yourself. Also, try pounding the pavement: Bring a copy of your resume to the schools as well. Get your name and resume in front of them so they will remember you when a position opens up. Good luck!

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 19, 2014

No it's not too late, but I would expand your search to anywhere you are willing to drive to, or even further if you are willing to relocate. We have hired teachers 2 days before school started due to a sudden increase in enrollment.

10. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 19, 2014

I got my first teaching job in Pflugerville! Did you try some of the really small districts like Del Valle, Bastrop, and Manor!? I don't know how far you are willing to go but San Marcos or Kyle and Buda would be good to try as well if you already haven't. Also you can look on the Texas State University OEP Facebook page because they post job openings there all the time! If you are willing to move, DFW still has many positions. I don't know about directly emailing principals or just going to different schools, doesn't really seem like a Texas thing it me, I don't think people here would respond well to you being so "in their face."

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2014

Yes, you can email your resume. Well, unless the application says not to.

And 300 is not that bad. Here it is generally 1000+. A district I made it into the hiring pool with last year was 6000+. Even the rural, northern districts in my state pull in hundreds.

12. atxteacher

atxteacher Rookie

Jul 19, 2014

I am actually from DFW.. My family lives in Fort Worth.. I hear it every day from my mom how badly teachers are needed.. I really would like to stay in this area but I guess I should start to look in that area for a first year position. What ISD do you work for? I see you yeah first grade! :) I did my student teaching for first and thats my absolute favorite!! :love:

13. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 19, 2014

I'm in Fort Worth ISD...here you have to get in a teacher hiring pool.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 19, 2014

Apply in Austin, but if you want to stay in that area, concentrate on the smaller districts like mentioned. If you just want a job, you can certainly find one. The rumor is we are having more openings than applicants.

15. atxteacher

atxteacher Rookie

Jul 19, 2014

More openings than applicants in Austin ISD? I have applied to:

Austin
    Round Rock (where I did student teaching)
    Manor
    Hutto
    Pfluggerville
    Leander
    Georgetown
    Elgin

Round Rock this week has gone from 53 openings to 29! Getting nervous! I think I just need to pass this test so I can update my application so it shows I have the certification..

The good news is I just upped my practice exam score from 61% (pre studying) to 81%! YIPPEE!!

16. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2014

That's what I was going to say, haha. I moved here specifically because the job market was so much better than my home state, where it's typically more like 4,000-6,000 for elementary positions. 300 is a dream!

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 19, 2014

I was referring to my area, not Austin. Austin always has lots of applicants. Sorry for the confusion.

18. atxteacher

atxteacher Rookie

Jul 19, 2014

What part of texas?

19. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2014

Our district out in West Texas is HURTING for teachers!!! We have many openings. The other elementary school has 6 openings, middle school has some, intermediate (4-5) has some. High school needs girl sports coaches. If you are willing to live in a town of about 7000, has a Walmart, no chain restaurants but lots of good family run eateries, but some major fast food chains then PM me. Pay is decent. Drawbacks nearest large town is about an hours drive, but there are many who go there often.